Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Gonzo.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Re: Page 200 = New Video! - Page 200 - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread!!

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Well considering I'm $10K into this motor, I need to focus a little more on putting that power to the ground instead of making more power going spinning .5mm above the pavement.

As I said, I don't doubt your PnP head makes power. But I don't think you and I have ever gotten in an online pissing contest and I don't think we need to start now.
No Clint. No harm was intended man. Traction is def an issue when you make above 200whp on these D17s. They are too light and there are not enough things you can do stop the wheel spin other than run some fatties and/or really sticky compound.
Old 01-21-2009
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold

Well considering I'm $10K into this motor, I need to focus a little more on putting that power to the ground instead of making more power going spinning .5mm above the pavement.

As I said, I don't doubt your PnP head makes power. But I don't think you and I have ever gotten in an online pissing contest and I don't think we need to start now.
You spent $10k into the motor build alone? What did you buy?
Old 01-21-2009
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, the complete motor build and turbo setup (kpro, IM, turbo goodies, return setup, clutch, etc...) puts me right around 10 large. Considering there are 3 goodies on there that cost over $1000 each, plus everything else (rods, pistons, rings, bearings, another cam, etc), it adds up quickly.
Old 01-21-2009

Buh bye.

Last edited by speedfoos; 12-10-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2009
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

sounds like a MAP problem, whats your vacuum reading at idle? does it match the figures in the kmanager?
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

do you have the boxed checked for "Use secondary input for closed loop operation" cause if you don't it will tend to run the way you are describing.
Old 01-21-2009

Originally Posted by skipbarber
sounds like a MAP problem, whats your vacuum reading at idle? does it match the figures in the kmanager?
Gauge reads -23 in/Hg of vacuum and so does kmanager. This is the same whether I'm running the AEM 3.5BAR or the stock one (with the parameters changed accordingly in kmanager).

Originally Posted by bomerman19
do you have the boxed checked for "Use secondary input for closed loop operation" cause if you don't it will tend to run the way you are describing.
But I'm running the car in open loop since I haven't done Edwin's nifty closed loop conversion.

That brings something up.....since I'm running open loop, should I have wired in the output from my wideband to kpro via the ELD input? It can't read the signal anyway right, because of the stock narrowband sensors? Is it getting messed up between the wideband input coming in via the old ELD 5V line, and the stock signals coming in from the narrowbands?
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

^ even if your running the car in open loop that box still needs to be checked. I can't really explain why, I think it has to do with the fact that the k-pro just needs the option. and if you have it in open loop like my car and watch the status there is slight occurrence's when it hops over to closed loop I think when your off the throttle in decel. so just check and see what happens I bet it fixes your problem.

as for your wideband you can wire it to the k-pro via the ELD but it will only will act for data logging purpose plus you are going to have to calibrate the setting in the k-pro so your readings are right. the car can't run off the wide band though like the rsx's.

By the way jeff evans does not need the wide band wired in to do your tunning but it helps, mine is not wired in.

Good luck with everything clint and keep me up to date on how your k-pro is acting
Old 01-21-2009

That box is grayed out so I can't check it when I'm running in open loop. So much for that idea. Since I'm running Andy's map from Jeff, it has to run in open loop. I haven't figured out where to configure it in kpro though. It's not an option in the general parameters box.
Old 01-21-2009

Hmm.....in the settings of kmanager, it was set to use a built-in wideband and not my external wideband for datalogging purposes. I changed this. Maybe it was my problem. We'll find out on Friday.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

01_EM2 can only hope to improve

quick question foos.... you seem to be the better qualified turbo person. what would be a good size turbo to start off with. i have 310 rsx-s injectors and my turbo mani is for a turbo with internal waste gate. im not shooting to high for power yet just something around 200-230hp
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

Hmm.....in the settings of kmanager, it was set to use a built-in wideband and not my external wideband for datalogging purposes. I changed this. Maybe it was my problem. We'll find out on Friday.
that's probably it we did have andy's wide band wired in.hmmm damm I don't think I have andys map anymore other wise I could look over it It's been so long since I looked at that map. If it is engaged try turning obd2 off, it shouldn't change anything at all on the way the car runs but it might

that would explain why andy told you not to relocate those wires.
Old 01-21-2009

Originally Posted by 01_EM2
quick question foos.... you seem to be the better qualified turbo person. what would be a good size turbo to start off with. i have 310 rsx-s injectors and my turbo mani is for a turbo with internal waste gate. im not shooting to high for power yet just something around 200-230hp
310cc injectors won't flow enough for a 200hp build. To hit that kind of power on a T25 turbo you're to need to run around 13 pounds of boost. As far as what size turbo....IDK. Get as big as you can that isn't going to be laggy. A 57 trim turbo with .63 A/R will have the lungs to roll high numbers, but you'll be hard pressed to find one of those in a T25 snail. Look at your budget, and buy the highest quality turbo you can afford.

Originally Posted by bomerman19
that's probably it we did have andy's wide band wired in.hmmm damm I don't think I have andys map anymore other wise I could look over it It's been so long since I looked at that map. If it is engaged try turning obd2 off, it shouldn't change anything at all on the way the car runs but it might

that would explain why andy told you not to relocate those wires.
Yeah we chatted about it and since it's running in open loop with OBD-2 disabled, the O2 sensors could be whistling Dixie for all kpro cares. It's just going to run off the fuel map.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

01_EM2 can only hope to improve

god info to know. i wanna get the best turbo i can something moddest. the mani i got is for a t3/t4 turbo
Old 01-21-2009
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

i ran a t3 super 60 with rsx-s injectors at 7psi on a non-vtec motor and put down 160hp to the wheels. I was maxing my injectors out close to redline and it was consistently harder to make it run right towards the top of the rpm range.

going back to the topic. the box is greyed out because you loaded a pre-existing map. instead of loading the map through FILE>NEW, you load it from FILE>OPEN. for some reason when you load an existing calibration, some options dont show up, or cant be changed. boilermaker and i figured this out a while back.
Old 01-22-2009

Hmm....when I loaded my map through file -> open, that one is grayed out. When I go to file -> new, to create a new map, that one is not grayed out.

I think I may rebuild the map on a new configuration and see what happens. Basically making a duplicate but starting from scratch.
Old 01-22-2009
7thgen Power Maker

Sorry, the complete motor build and turbo setup (kpro, IM, turbo goodies, return setup, clutch, etc...) puts me right around 10 large. Considering there are 3 goodies on there that cost over $1000 each, plus everything else (rods, pistons, rings, bearings, another cam, etc), it adds up quickly.
That makes a lot more sense. I am thinking 10K into the motor build. He's gotta have Ti rods and ****. LOL
Old 01-22-2009

Naw man, just Crowers and Wisecos.
Old 01-22-2009
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Glad to see this thread still alive and kicking...
Old 01-22-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by skipbarber
going back to the topic. the box is greyed out because you loaded a pre-existing map. instead of loading the map through FILE>NEW, you load it from FILE>OPEN. for some reason when you load an existing calibration, some options dont show up, or cant be changed. boilermaker and i figured this out a while back.
Ahhh hah I think edwin just solved your problem cause I don't remember that being greyed out on andy's old map. I was starting to wonder late last night if andy accidentally sent you the map for when we tried to wire in the stock honda wideband o2 sensor into andy's car.
Old 01-22-2009

Once I finish up the map, I'm going to email it to you Paul. Have a look at it if you could please. I'm going to set the timing on it to stock for right now just for troubleshooting and I'll set it to Jeff's values once I get things ironed out. The only thing I'm thinking is that little box isn't going to make a difference since I'm running in open loop anyway. It's worth a shot though.
Old 01-22-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

Good Luck Clint, wish I could help you like you have helped me...But im not the brightest so that is not happening.
Old 01-22-2009
Registered!!

Once I finish up the map, I'm going to email it to you Paul. Have a look at it if you could please. I'm going to set the timing on it to stock for right now just for troubleshooting and I'll set it to Jeff's values once I get things ironed out. The only thing I'm thinking is that little box isn't going to make a difference since I'm running in open loop anyway. It's worth a shot though.
Cool sounds good I will definitely take a look at it.

That little box can make a surprising difference though. When i took my car in to tempest to have them tune it they could not get it to run right at all I told them to check the box which they never did. When I got it back from them They told me it would run like **** for 1 to 5 min's until it threw a cel and then it would run fine. I put up with this for about a week and then I pulled my map off my own k-pro cause they never gave me a copy and found that they never checked the box. I checked the box and the problem went away completely never had it again. The whole narrow band calibration is so screwed up some times
Old 01-22-2009

Paul, shoot me an email. civic_gt3071r@yahoo.com. I can't find yours.
Old 01-22-2009
Registered!!

emailed
Old 01-22-2009

Word, thanks. Emailed back.
Old 01-22-2009
Registered!!

got it I look over it tonight
Old 01-22-2009
Registered!!

Okay I looked over it first thing is the first map you sent me the one andy sent you is a PRB map which should not work with your setup. you should be running a PRA map

I don't know why andy sent you this map it looks like one of the ones that we tried to use for o2 sensor rewiring so I think that may be your problem.

run the second map that you sent me(the one that you created) but make sure you relocate those to wires that hondata says to move.

If I were you I would not even worry about repining them cause those pins are such a pain in the *** to get out. I went back a couple inches from the connector and just cut and spliced the wires on my car.

from everything that you have told me I can definitely rule out that it is
1. Not a mechanical issue with turbo or engine
2. Not a vacuum leak issue
3. It's not a fuel issue

that being said it does sound like it is either the fact that you are trying to run a PRB map. which would make since cause if you made changes to the map you would see changes to the way it runs but it does not actually have the wide band to acurately read off of so it would be all over the place and run like poo.

or my next guess would be a map sensor issue (I assume you are running the AEM map sensor),
tps sensor(just doesn't sound like a tps issue),
IAT sensor(I saw something about a gm sensor? whats that about? curios) or cam and crank(I don't think it is your cam and crank sensor, I have had to deal with that before and the engine runs a lot different then you describe when the cam and crank sensor screw up)

I will continue to look at both maps to see If anything else pops out at me.

Oh on a side note I am not living in DC anymore I have moved down to Richmond. I don't know if your going to be at home working on the car this weekend but If you want or need help I can come down and help out if you want since I am not doing anything this weekend and the girlfriend is busy with her family.

I'm going to pm you my # just case you need it for help or whatever.
Old 01-23-2009

Awesome man. I'll hit this with some more comments at lunch. I'm running late for work.
Old 01-23-2009

OK, so I'm now running a PRA map with the one I reworked. Not sure how I selected a PRA map to use this time, but if it works then good. I wonder how Andy was able to get it to work when he ran it though since I'm using his old kpro as well.

Check on the re-wire. What I'm thinking though is my kpro will not be using the wideband to make corrections either, since it's just running open loop. I'll swap cam sensors tomorrow as well just to check them.

In ref to my IAT sensor, the GM open air sensor runs the same parameters as the Honda sensor so its good. The good thing about it is that it screws in to an NPT bung I welded to my IC piping.

In ref to coming down this weekend, I appreciate it, but it won't be worth the four-hour drive for you since I will have most of these tweaks wrapped by 0900 tomorrow morning. I will definitely make use of you phone number though!

I appreciate this Paul.

Quick Reply: Gonzo.