Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Grounding Wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Grounding Wires

Ok, well im doing the gas mileage thing, and i was wondering should grounding wires help.... like from reading everyone sez it helps just a little bit, and hey every big helps... now how should i approach this?

should i buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-G...spagenameZWDVW

or should i go another route?

also if anyone had pics of their engine can u post them up so i can find out what goes where ya know thanx
Old 05-29-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Grounding Wires

jdm ground wires lol....well im sure upgrading ur ground wires would help some ive read that too but im not entirely sure which route to go with or how it sets up so im not much help, but i do say go for it once u find out where to get them from
Old 05-29-2007
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold

for 6 bucks why not. ive had some for about 5 years, dunno if they do anything, but im getting 40-42 mpg on the highway routinely in a 5spd.
Old 05-29-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

^^ then apparently there doing something lol...
Old 05-29-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

is it a good upgrade? yea. will you notice any difference? doubtful
Old 05-29-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gearbox
is it a good upgrade? yea. will you notice any difference? doubtful
well like in another post u said "the car starts so much better the sound is higher pitch, car drives great" well this should be noticable hopefully... also hey your old DIY has no pics anymore, do u still have them?

also i know they arent JDM lol
Old 05-29-2007
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light

ive got a few grounding wires installed...the car seems to start easier and run smoother
Old 05-29-2007
Registered!!

jteasley will become famous soon enough

I put the ground wires on my car. I followed the write up in the DIY section. Sometimes my car fires up great, and sometimes it takes a few seconds to fire up. I'm thinking of pulling them off since the car started better before i installed them.
Old 05-29-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

i recently replaced all of the ground wires on my car and it ran SO much better. seriously. but, mine were also very bad. a lot of the wiring on my car was kinda messy when I got it so I took a few hours and just went at it. but yeah, my car started so much better, ran a lot smoother, and my gas mileage went up a ton. I drive a k20a2 swapped em2 and I average 33-35mpg mixed city and highway, and on the weekends when I only drive freeways from columbus, ohio to kent, ohio, I usually get 380 miles out of a tank.
Old 05-29-2007
CIVIC USER

jbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trusted

I bought gearbox's ground kit when he was selling them. THe grounding kit is comprised of a new, larger battery terminal ground, as well as 4 other wires that connect to make an extra ground for the engine. Does it help? Yes, of course it helps, but the difference is like gearbox said, not noticeable but the more grounds the better, I realized this after I left my battery terminal loose one time and my car started to act very unusually, abs shutting off, air bags shutting off, just from a loose terminal. It put things into perspective about having quality electrical connections.
Old 05-29-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its more of a safety thing, to make sure that over time the stupid factory wires dont corrode and cause problem like they do normally. you want everything grounded properly so your car works right. just replace stock wires, do not run all sorts of grounds to stupid places all over the engine bay. thats actually worse.

Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

amatias is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey g-box, just curious on what size wires are those^^?
Old 05-30-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

thanks fotr the pictures gear (cant rep cause it sez i have to spread it around, yet the last time i repped u was like way back when) ... now like some time back i saw some one with the grounding wires on the negative terminal, then they ran it to those 4 caps right where the spark plugs go, what was that all about?
Old 05-30-2007
Premium Member

4 gauge wire, thats the biggest i would use. people have grounded the ignition coils too, imo its not really necessary (but there are kits made for that purpose too).
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

When I did this I " ran all sorts of grounds to stupid places all over the engine bay"

Hey gearbox do you really think that this is worse? If so how? Please explain.
Old 05-30-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

from all the threads i read they all said its not bad, but just excessive. how many poits do u have grounded??

also can u post a pic of ur bay?
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

I will when I get off of work, should be around 6 CDT.

I grounded the same as gearbox +
I ran a ground from the thermostat to the 1st coil pack
I also ran one from the Trany to the passenger fender to the firewall to the throttle body to the passenger fender to the alternator.
Why the throttle body? I don't know, I just did.
I used 2-gauge wire for it all with pure copper ends and I loomed it all with factory non-cut black loom. It looks good and it looks OEM.

But if it is hurting me then I will not hesitate to take it all apart.

Last edited by Alpha 5; 05-30-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Originally Posted by Alpha 5
I will when I get off of work, should be around 6 CDT.

I grounded the same as gearbox +
I ran a ground from the thermostat to the 1st coil pack
I also ran one from the Trany to the passenger fender to the firewall to the throttle body to the passenger fender to the alternator.
Why the throttle body? I don't know, I just did.
I used 2-gauge wire for it all with pure copper ends and I loomed it all with factory non-cut black loom. It looks good and it looks OEM.

But if it is hurting me then I will not hesitate to take it all apart.
well did u notice better starts, no fading lights, etc... ? if so then i guess it helped.. and thanks for postin pics when u get off work
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

I noticed the lights but not the starting. So.......
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

Ussel28 is an unknown quantity at this point

the reason that having to many wires and to big of wires like g-box mention but did not talk about why. it all comes down to the physics of electricity if you have to many grounds and to big of wire it is so much more mass in the wire witch add to the resistance of the wire so in this case bigger and more does not only mean better it is better to do a few wires in precise locations. to replace the OEM wires i would use 4 gauge and for the rest i would stick to 8 this will be more then plenty but yet limit the resistance of the wire. now on the placement some people could go on for hours about that i just played around till i got what works for me. these are just some helpful tips about wiring kits.
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

I think that you may be incorrect on this one. I have a BS in Electronic Engineering Technology. I have always been taught that.
Larger more stranded wire has less resistance that smaller less stranded wire.

I used good very fine stranded wire. Not solid so I feel that my 2 gauge has by far less resistance than the factory.
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

By that logic one foot of 1/0AWG has more resistance than one foot of 18AWG. Somehow that seems unlikely.
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

Here use this to calculate. It does not go any larger than 12 Gauge but it will work for this argument.

http://www.cirris.com/testing/resistance/wire.html

Here use this one instead it is better and it has the wire size that we are talking about.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm

Last edited by Alpha 5; 05-30-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2007
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

Gearbox, you were selling Grounding Wire Kits werent you
Old 05-30-2007
Premium Member

yea a long time ago. too many wires may cause ground loops and other electrical problems. going bigger than 4 gauge will cause problem but i cant remember off hand why. i know of a few older cars that would run like crap if you had anything but the original ground wire configurations. i know older accords had a 4 gauge wire from batt to chassis and then a few 8 gauge
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

Here are the pics as promised.

From left to right.

Pic 1: The ground from the radiator support to the thermostat to the battery. Also from the 1st coil pack to the thermostat to the fuel rail. Also from the battery to the trany this is a 1 ought.

Pic 2.You see where I connected to the fuel rail. Also from the throttle body to the fire wall.

Pic 3. From the fire wall to the passenger fender to the trany.

Pic 4. From the throttle body to the driver fender to the alternator.

Pic 5. Where it is ran to the alternator.

I know this is excessive. If it hurts performance let me know and I will remove it. I just don't know how it could.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0014.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	71259   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0015.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	71260   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0018.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	71261   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0016.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	71262   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0017.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	71263  

Old 05-30-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

^^ man thank you so much for your pic contribution.
Old 06-26-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

ok i'll post my pics when i get home, and also as for my review of them.

Like the starts are stronger. I used to have the 3 quick "Honda car start sound"i things till my engine turned over now its down to like 2 quick ones. Also I'm noticing my ipod charging quicker lol (It charges throught my HU) and i have no dimming of dome lights. Idk about HP or MPG yet cause MPG is in another thread its on going... and for HP i need to drive another car for a while then get back into my car and see how it feels imo.

btw its 4guage

Last edited by LT2004ever; 06-26-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

alrighty heres my pics!

the main thing

coil pack

to the tranny

right here via fender well

from here

to here

not pictured (cause they are blurry)
ground to radiator support to engine