Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Painted my spare valvecover

Old 04-08-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Painted my spare valvecover

Nothin' says lovin' like valve cover from the oven....

It didnt come out perfect but it came out good enough for my appearance purposes...

Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Painted my spare valvecover

dude. fkin hotness. never seen anything like that before. i like it.

edit: i see a vodka bottle... drunk much? lol
Old 04-08-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

damn lol, are you getting anything else to match that in the engine bay? i hope
Old 04-08-2007
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RHCP0801
i think some nice socks would work!
Old 04-08-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RHCP0801
Well, I could say, but I'd rather leave it for later.... It'll all flow when its finished.
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

I will refrain from coments till I see the finished bay.
Old 04-09-2007
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough

Thats so rice.....

Old 04-09-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

very nice, how did u do it? like the steps, or is this something else imma have to search for lol
Old 04-09-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by Alpha 5
I will refrain from coments till I see the finished bay.
X2 I think that bottle of vodka had something to do with this.

I just realized the girl-scout cookies AND the yellow rubber gloves, you sick man... lol

Last edited by TRIZ; 04-09-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-09-2007
Registered!!

speakeasy is an unknown quantity at this point

looks like fun
Old 04-09-2007
Registered!!

EM2 Shinobi is an unknown quantity at this point

damn nice
Old 04-09-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting. I like it because it's different. I hope it turns out the way that you want.
Old 04-09-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

cute....let us know when u have it in the engine bay
Old 04-09-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you stuffing a goth girl into your engine bay? Or using the new emo alarm system? The one that cuts the iginition when it gets its feelings hurt?

J/K good stuff man. Is that powdercoat or enamel?
Old 04-09-2007
Registered!!

54321r will become famous soon enough54321r will become famous soon enough

^^what he asked
Old 04-09-2007
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Are you stuffing a goth girl into your engine bay? Or using the new emo alarm system? The one that cuts the iginition when it gets its feelings hurt?

J/K good stuff man. Is that powdercoat or enamel?
i doubt that he could do powdercoating in his oven . its probably hi temp engine paint.
Old 04-09-2007
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough

I was expecting something orange.....
Old 04-09-2007

Originally Posted by Rennen
i doubt that he could do powdercoating in his oven . its probably hi temp engine paint.
What are you talking about? You're supposed to use an oven to DRY the piece that has just been powdercoated, not powdercoat a piece IN the oven.
Old 04-09-2007
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted

unique to say the least. i like it.
Old 04-09-2007
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute

What are you talking about? You're supposed to use an oven to DRY the piece that has just been powdercoated, not powdercoat a piece IN the oven.
do u have any idea of how powdercoating works? the powder particles have a one electric charge, and the object being powdercoated has the opposite charge, so the powder sticks to the object. after that, yes, it is put in an oven to cure. but theres no way he could DIY that... unless he has a powder coating machine in his garage . in any case, you can see the over spray on some areas, so he probably spray painted it.

Last edited by Rennen; 04-09-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

^why not? you can purchase powdercoating guns from sears and do it without any fancy machines. i think thats what speedfoos is talking about.
Old 04-09-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Its duplicolor engine paint.... 20 min in the oven @ 200 to cure it. If I wanted perfection, I would have powdercoated it and paid someone a lot of money to deal with it. I didnt need it to be perfect... so I DIYed it, its good enough, I put the money in the motor rather than on it.... a "3 foot job" if you will.
And to address the gloves, the cookies and the Stoli.... the cookies are tasty, the gloves are for when I stripped the valve cover with aircraft stripper, which is nasty ****, and the bottle always sits there, and its been there for a while.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 04-09-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2007

Yes I know how powdercoating works, and I'm learning how boilermaker1 works - which I is why I wouldn't have been surprised to know that he as a powdercoating setup in his garage. They're not that expensive, you can pick one up off of harborfreight.com for around $200. In fact I just had my valve cover powdercoated. Although in retrospect he probably would have titled the thread "Powdercoated my spare VC" had that been the case. Oh well.

My PC'd VC.

Old 04-09-2007
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted

... They're not that expensive, you can pick one up off of harborfreight.com for around $200...
sigh....i wish $200 to me is 'not that expensive'. i like yur cover though.
Old 04-09-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Looks pretty good! How much did that job cost?
Old 04-09-2007

$135 shipped. Check out racecoated.com. Steve is the guy owns the site and does it out of his house as a side project.
Old 04-09-2007
New Mod on the Block

Originally Posted by skipbarber
^why not? you can purchase powdercoating guns from sears and do it without any fancy machines. i think thats what speedfoos is talking about.
really? im gonna have to look into that. i've been wanting to powdercoat my rims but didnt want to pay someone a left nut to do it.
Old 04-09-2007
Registered!!

54321r will become famous soon enough54321r will become famous soon enough

is that tape on it in the oven?
Old 04-12-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by 54321r
is that tape on it in the oven?
Yes.... its only 200 degrees. Tape can handle it.

I'm learning how boilermaker1 works - which I is why I wouldn't have been surprised to know that he as a powdercoating setup in his garage.
Um... I dont have a garage. I live in a 6th floor apartment. I'm building a motor in a closet, I do dirtywork in the bathroom or down in the building carwash bay. The bathtub is my parts washer if there's no chemicals involved. I gotta do **** creatively around here, I cant afford a place with a garage within a stones throw of DC. I WISH I had a garage, it would make life easy.

Anyone interested in the process...
Strip it... I used a mix of aircraft stripper to start it, 60 and 100 grit sandpaper and dremel stainless steel brushes
Wash it .... soap and water, then shoot it with brake cleaner or wipe with alcohol, then dry
I was just concerned, can you blame me? I don't want them to rust through and fall apart on me
Primer... 2 even coats
Light color ... easier to cover with dark than to try to paint over a dark color
----- Oven 15 minutes at 200 deg F
Mask off what you want to KEEP
Dark color...
Oven 20 min at 200 deg F
Remove tape

And everyone screaming powdercoat... first find a place that can powdercoat a warning stripe pattern like that, then fathom how much it would cost, given that a 1 color solid coat is over a hundred. Maybe then will you get why I spent $18 on some spray paint. I'll be packing 200+ HP underneath that cover, so honestly... I put the major money where it needs to be, and then spent a couple bucks screwing around with non-functional stuff. (That last sentence is how Boiler functions... write it down).

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 04-12-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2007
Registered!!

marcuse will become famous soon enough

***** wack , but i like it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painted my spare valvecover