Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

K need help asap. How to remove wires from connector?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
K need help asap. How to remove wires from connector?

So im doing a cluster swap and I have to rewire the connector. but I dunno how to get the wires out? can someone explain to me in DETAIL how to go about doing so? ive tried pulling the wire, using paper clip, small screw driver...but i dont think im using em properly?

can you refer to this pic

and tell me EXACTLY what to do
Old 02-04-2007
Formerly 2blu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
I used a paper clip and pushed them out from the front. Its kind of hard at first, but once you figure it out, its quite simple. I think there a tool you can buy also.
Old 02-04-2007
Pinkslip Racer

Originally Posted by Nick
I used a paper clip and pushed them out from the front. Its kind of hard at first, but once you figure it out, its quite simple. I think there a tool you can buy also.
you mean u pushed them out from the end with the tiny little holes (the end u cant see in the pic) if so, where did u push em, directly in the middle? a lot of force? cuz i tried that and nothing. even tried pulling the wires with full force with a pliars, nothing.
Old 02-04-2007

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
i think if you look at the clips from the front you will see tiny little hooks on top of each clip holding it in.. you will need a needle to push that thing up while you pull the wire out
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough
how'd it go? did you get it done?
Old 02-04-2007
Pinkslip Racer

nope. tried poking it from the bottom with a paper clip, didnt work. i might just go to a shop tommorow and pay them whatever just to remove the wires for me
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
go to radio shack and buy the tool. it will make your life a lot easier
Old 02-04-2007
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Just stick a paper clip that just fits perfectly into the harness where the pins go in and just pull out the wire. Its easy!!
Old 02-05-2007
Pinkslip Racer

^^

trust me, i tried. i dunno wtf im doing wrong. id push the paper clip as hard as i can get it in, then pull on the wire pretty damn hard. nothing budges. i broke like 3 paper clips aswell (to give you an idea of how hard i was jamming those suckers in there)
Old 02-05-2007
Registered!!

rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
just buy the tool, why make life harder
Old 02-05-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Hes probably at the shop asking them how much it is to pull the wires out right as we speak. He'll probably come back with the tool because they shop guy didnt want to rip him off like that
Old 02-05-2007
Pinkslip Racer

^^ lolll actually i was at the shop 2 hrs before ur post :P

the shop guy said they dont do that, its not meant to be done, if u **** it up its scrap etc

then i went to my local electronics store, explained my problem (even brought a similar connector to show them) and they said they dont have the tool there, just to use a small screw driver

what i wanna know is, is the clip to the wire like a metal piece, one end the wire is connected to, the other end has a piece sticking up n out holding the wire, so u cant pull it out and in order to remove it you need to push that piece and then the wire should come out no prob?

i ask because at school i found a connector that looked like a bigger version on the one in our vics, and thats exactly how those wires came out (and i was able to do em with a paper clip )
Old 02-05-2007
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Go to a local hardware store and pick up a "pick tool set".

They should be around $5 (US) and I think you can even get them at Walmart in the tool section. They are really nice to have in your home toolbox. There's a really thin and sharp one you can use to pry up the little retainer than will let you unclip the pin from the plastic holder.

I work w/ electronics and use these at work all the time.

Last edited by PD Chico; 02-05-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough
OK OK OK I GOT IT DONE FINALLY lol
TOOLS NEEDED: a paper clip(the larger ones that fit right in the hole)

ok so after playing around with the clip for a long time and not understanding how to do it i finally got it...and its so easy...

if you look in the first pic thats posted you will see:
1. the wires are entering the connector
2. the portion of that connecter that you press on when you want to remove the connector from the gauge assembly...

the edge that you press in(when you want to remove the connector) actually comes out...or sort of clips out.. from the end of the connector if you look in the pic you will see that its already out)

if you still cant see it, try to watch your connector and the picture at the same time...

both ends on the backside of the connector can be "clipped out/popped out" (just tryna use words that describe exactly what happens)

you just have to use your finger nail or something to push the edge back (where the wires are entering the connector)and then a sort of forward up motion and the back clip portion pops out allowing you to be able to see the clips.... if you get this done simply stick a paper clip in the hole that you want a wire removed from and it pops out!!! simple and plain...

so when your connector looks like the one in the picture posted you use your paperclip from the front of the connecter (where it plugs in to the gauge assemply) and it pops out

thats the best description i can give without taking pics...its easy just hold the connector in your hand and observe it well and you'll get it done...
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

also after all of my troubles i broke one of the metal clips b4 figuring out how to get them out.... N E ONE KNOWS WHERE SELLS THEM????
Old 02-26-2007

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
go to a junk yard with some cutters.. look around.. when no ones looking.. cut a clip and RUNNN... lol
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

lol mayn i been thinking about that shyt