Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quicksi90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question cold air intake

hey i just got an 07 si, and im thinkin about a cold air intake for my 1st mod, and iv heard AEM is one of the best brands. i was just wondering what u guys hav to say, and which kind of intake would be the best.
Old 01-22-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
basicaly this is what your going to find out with this thread.

There is going to be a group of people (newbies) that side with whoever they think is right, there is also going to be a group of people who are kinda depressed and say why bother, an intake doesnt do anything for a civic- no matter if its an SI. Some people will say, go buy ebay it sounds cool. Others will say cool, you got an SI. Some might even offer suggestions.

As for me. I'm offering a suggestion. Check out the AEM V2, it has two different diam of piping, which allows for two different velocites of air which is why it is, or is one of the few, intakes on the market that doesnt rob low end power for high end, and vise versa. Some dont believe this. I dunno if I do either- but there wasnt a loss of power after I intalled it, def a slight gain, more so then what others on this site have got with intakes. (yes i'm speaking from a D17 point of view but the V2 by AEM has something going for it that isnt going to change with the type of car your bolting it on to.

anyways, good luck. Stay away from ebay, you get what you pay for and you dont want debris in your nice new SI engine now do you?
Old 01-22-2007
Registered!!

mikecivexxx is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll agree, I'd get a AEM intake as well; since if you live in CA it has a CARB sticker... however intakes are intakes. If you got the money go with AEM, but if you don't Ebay kits arn't bad... just get a K&N filter to replace that filter they give you. The filter is the main difference that you are looking at. My cold air intake total cost was $60 including the K&N filter. not too shabby... but however, soon I'll be getting AEM V2 as well.
Old 01-22-2007
Registered!!

TOPEM_II is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with TRIZ

These are some prices for a d17 civic, but they should be in the same range for a K series motor.

AEM V2 $250+
AEM short ram $120+
AEM cold Air $180+ ( Not 100% sure on price)
Ebay from $40-60 FTL!!!! They fall apart, their tubing is small, crappy filters etc... Thats my opinion

So if you got some money laying around go with the V2, if not just get a regular AEM short or cold air. I use AEM products on all my car's, never had a problem or anything.

Last edited by TOPEM_II; 01-22-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-22-2007
Registered!!

gmag21 will become famous soon enoughgmag21 will become famous soon enough
K@N says 10.2 HP @ 6950 RPM.....
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-1012TP

I think thats a load of but it has a dyno so who knows.
Old 01-22-2007
Registered!!

mikecivexxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't believe it. It's b/s. How does one intake gain so much more from another? It doesn't.
Old 01-22-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Since you have a K20, you may see more of a gain than we do on our D17s. I think you would be fine with any name brand intake, but I wouldn't bolt ebay crap on a brand new Si. I'd recommend AEM, Weapon R or Injen. You could also check clubrsx, or some of these other boards where people have more experience with K20s. I got my AEM SRI off ebay new for $100, so you can find a decent deal if you look around a little.
Old 01-22-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Its a filter on a stick. The stick is the same, the filter counts. All the name brand ones have decient filters.
I hear the search button brand is awesome.
Old 01-22-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
This thread is reopened on the following conditions:
That the OP posts a more specific question than "what is the best", to which there is no answer.
By specific, I mean whether or not it fits right/clearances, intent to make a lot of noise or be quiet, ease of installation, where it locates the filter, how much one could expect to spend, etc....
A blanket question like the one posted is so broad that there is no meaningful answer. The question of power created by the intake has already been addressed above, and it is unclear from any manufacturer posted dyno sheet how much power can be netted from any given intake, so that question need not be asked.
It is also suggested that the OP also utilize other means of research (such as google or independent magazine test articles, etc...) in learning about basic parts and use the forums and/or the customer service departments of places that make the parts as a secondary resource to get specific answers to specific issues. It makes it a heck of a lot more worthwhile to everyone, and relying soley on forum posts for how you should spend your money... isnt the smartest thing to do.

Another tip... don't post it in multiple forums. I canned the other one since this one has already been replied to.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 01-22-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
...OP meaning Orig. Poster

I sent this to the OP, but though i'd paste it just to get it out there so I dont have to type it again down the line.

anyways, I was orig. looking at injen, but realized their cold air intakes didnt gaint power until like 4500, and lost power at every point under that- also know as where I drive almost 97% of the time. This story may be different for you though. But heres a little secret: Fujita came out maybe a year ago. Its an Injen brand. They have the exact same designs, but fujita has much better products because of coatings, welds, and that kinda stuff. So if you find a injen intake you like, go wtih the fujita version. Price wise- they used to be the exact same- they might be a few more dollars these days, but they are a better overall product.