Tranny and Warranty - Honda Civic Forum

Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2007   #1
JJJ
Registered!!

JJJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Tranny and Warranty

Hey...I have about 55000 miles on my 2002 auto honda civic ex. Lately, perhaps because it is colder here in the northeast, I have noticed that the shift from second to third is sorta rough. It feels like it revs maybe 200 RPMs higher than it should and it shifts...It sorta does this from first to second as well but its not as noticeable. Now the shift isn't bad but I have some concerns. Should I check it into the dealership and have them evaluate the problem? I've only gone to the dealership for 2 scheduled oil changes and since then i have done them on my own. Now I have the 7 year, 100,000 mile extended warranty...should I take it to the honda dealership and ask them to check it out...I also have a Knn air intake and the HKS exhaust axle back only. I haven't changed the tranny fluid and now i read that it should be changed after 3 years or 60000 miles under severe conditions or 72 months and 120,000 miles under normal conditions on an automatic....do you think the dealership will give me grief about not coming in for regular check ups...cuz the transmission fluid really shouldn't be changed until 120,000 miles under normal use. I'm pretty sure you guys are gonna tell me to take off my aftermarket intake and exhaust and also should i be concerned that the manual says that if any scheduled maintinences are missed or not performed by a honda techy then the extended warranty may be voided...if you don't mind I would like to hear your opinions on my small frustration I'm having with my car.

A concerned 7th gener
Chris...
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #2
Registered!!

Matteo will become famous soon enough
yeah, i heard that if u miss the check-ups they will be gay about it, cuz they could save money by coming up with that as a excuse to not fix ur car if there is something wrong. But, i would still go for sure and talk with some people who kno wat they are doing there.
I have a intake, spark plugs, pulley kit, and magnaflow cat-back and they still do the oil changes and stuff, so u will prob. be fine.

I really want to hear about ur stuff cuz i have a auto too and i want to go turbo, so if theres anything i need to know about in fixing stuff with the trans. later on...(mine is only just 2 years old and a 2005), that would be very helpful. Ya im thinking maybe its acting up just cuz u didnt go for a check-up, i hope lol
Matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #3
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
They wont care if you have that stuff. In fac tthey should be glad people are still buying aftermarket stuff for their cars, think about the business side- people modding their cars is good for business, it makes owning a honda more attractive then say a... i dunno- cobalt. allright, thats my business degree talking.

Aside from that, they arent going to say anything about your mods unless you've done something like bore out your head, or swap transmission parts with a non compatable car... you get the picture.

as for your transmission, the fluid may be dirty. Mine was when I picked my car up about 6 months ago. they charged me for it... oh well, it drove so much smoother afterwards.

I'm wondering if it might be an issue with your timing belt, although I dont consider myself to know enough about engine problems.

anyways, good luck with it chris
TRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #4
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
I'd say try getting the automatic tranny oil changed first to see if that helps smoothen out the shifts. (Make sure you use Honda ATF Z1 Oil) And yes, below 0 weather will definetly have an effect on your transmission. Do you notice that after the car has fully warmed up the transmission shifts smoother? If not then you may have a problem.

If this fails, definetly take it into Honda and dont let them bully you into denying warranty service.

Good luck!
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #5
Premium Member

jeffsta17 is an unknown quantity at this point
****in honda stopped working on my car for free the minute i started modding it. They blamed any problem i brought my car in for on something i had installed. such as my SRS light is on because i put underglow on my car. Or that my coolant temp. sensor busted cuz of my headers. oh and it cost me 4 grand to replace my tranny. sucks *****
jeffsta17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #6
JJJ
Registered!!

after the car warms up it does shift irregularly but not as bad....it is definetly more noticeable when it is cold or when it first starts up...I think with that being said jeffsta17, I will switch out my intake and exhaust just to be safe, not because i think they may effect my engine but because of the damn legal side, they have every right to give me **** about that if something fails and i have aftermarket equipment hooked up i guess....god i hate that.
Old 01-13-2007   #7
JJJ
Registered!!

well just as an update to those that will want to know in the future..I had the transmission fluid changed...the honda atf is not as red as i thought it would be, I did a regular 60,000 mile check up at the dealership and the transmission is shifting as smoothly as when I first bought it so I am relieved, didn't have to ask about the transmission or an inspection
Old 01-13-2007   #8
Registered!!

Matteo will become famous soon enough
so they didnt car about the mods? shaweet! nice man

im glad ur car is good now.
Matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #9
Administrative Rice. WAT?!
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of
srs light on due to underbody neons??? lol wtf? i thought there was some sort of legal documentation that said something like in order to refuse warranty work due to aftermarket modification, they had to prove that the modification was the cause of the malfunction.. something like that..
xRiCeBoYx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #10
JJJ
Registered!!

it was just a regular maintinence issuse...i shoulda known better but they can't refuse to change my fluids i bet they woulda made a fuss if my engine was funked up or something