Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Is this worthy of trying? Your thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2poor4mods is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this worthy of trying? Your thoughts...

I looking at my 05 EM2 the other day while it was next to the family van. I thought to myself, could I mod the rear triangle windows so that it opens like the rear windows on the side of the van? It could be either mechanically driven, or just a manual one.

It would be useful during the summer for ventilating the car in the sun in stead any of the other windows or sunroof and since it's nowhere near a door lock it shouldn't pose a security threat. Plus sometimes in the winter the cabins gets too dry because of the heat, so I can just open those to get some air in. Also, if there is a smoker in the back then can ash out of that window instead of opening front windows.

It would be easier if it was manual, but so much cooler if it was mechanical. I've been studying how it works in vans too, and it seems simple, just need a place to put the mechanical components and to seal the window opening with heavier rubber so water doesn't get in while it's closed.

I have an idea of how to go about this, but just wanted your thoughts and opinions about it if you think it would be too much of a hassle.
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

mattyg23 has a spectacular aura aboutmattyg23 has a spectacular aura aboutmattyg23 has a spectacular aura about
personally i think it would be a waste of time and money
Old 12-15-2006
Banned

Gr33nMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats what the two big windows in front are for. And thats also the job of AC. (Air conditioning). Hold on to ur money!
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

Indiandude89 is an unknown quantity at this point
man.. thats a really good thought... it would be really cool to see.. and it wouldnt take alot of money to do that too
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

ohsnapsjay08 will become famous soon enough
yea.. i'd rather invest on moonroof instead of the rear.
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vexorg is an unknown quantity at this point
dont do it, if you dont to it air tight youll have your call ruined by the elements
Old 12-15-2006
Banned

djrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to alldjrabbi is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 2poor4mods
I looking at my 05 EM2 the other day while it was next to the family van. I thought to myself, could I mod the rear triangle windows so that it opens like the rear windows on the side of the van? It could be either mechanically driven, or just a manual one.

It would be useful during the summer for ventilating the car in the sun in stead any of the other windows or sunroof and since it's nowhere near a door lock it shouldn't pose a security threat. Plus sometimes in the winter the cabins gets too dry because of the heat, so I can just open those to get some air in. Also, if there is a smoker in the back then can ash out of that window instead of opening front windows.

It would be easier if it was manual, but so much cooler if it was mechanical. I've been studying how it works in vans too, and it seems simple, just need a place to put the mechanical components and to seal the window opening with heavier rubber so water doesn't get in while it's closed.

I have an idea of how to go about this, but just wanted your thoughts and opinions about it if you think it would be too much of a hassle.
my friend did that on his g35 but the mercedes type where it goes down...$5,xxx
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

2poor4mods is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I have a moonroof already. The reason I dont like cracking that during the summer months is due to the high angle of the sun, direct sunlight gets into the cabin and can heat it up real quick. I alread have 20% tint all around and even with the front visor it can get a bit toasty. I can crack the front windows but there's always a chance of someone taking a wire and popping the lock. And stupid kids in my area like to throw stuff in the windows too

As far as A/C goes, I live in Maryland and I dont' really use it most of the year, only when it gets into the upper 90's and above. I just roll down the window most of the time.

Is there enough room in the rear pillar for a rotating actuator? The only real problem would be sealing it, and if done properly and carefully, shouldn't be a problem. Costwise - I'm not sure...actuators aren't that expensive, but hard to find around my area.

I'm just visualizing it now, seems like a pretty cool thing IMO. I mean have you ever even a show car with that?

Thanks for the input and keep those thoughts coming.
Old 12-15-2006
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
you can always tilt your moonroof and leave only a crack open in your sunshade so that you dont get much sun into the car.

For the opening triangular window you are talking about, I think the bmw 3 series coupe had it too.
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
i don't think it would be a good idea on our particular cars, but if you wanted to open the back windows, why didn't you get a sedan?
Old 12-15-2006
Registered!!

Victorious will become famous soon enoughVictorious will become famous soon enough
i don't think it' worth both the time and money
maybe you could get those visor things if you don't want the sun?
Old 12-15-2006
Banned

Gr33nMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
dont waste 3 k on this. get a turbo kit.
Old 12-16-2006
Registered!!

thenergizer is an unknown quantity at this point
i doubt it should be that much money, ive seen this done to old skool Vdubs :-p (vw's) ive had this idea in mind as well
Old 12-16-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
lol haha, dont do it
Old 12-16-2006
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
I say GO for it
Old 12-16-2006
Registered!!

Old 12-16-2006
Registered!!

the window needs to sit on top of the seal versus insde the seal (you would need custom window seals made :-/ ) , and youll need to have a new window made of lexan because the safety glass you have will most likely shatter when trying to drill a hole even with a special drill bit. Talk to a bodyshop or somethin

Last edited by thenergizer; 12-16-2006 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-16-2006
Registered!!

MYK1013 is an unknown quantity at this point
while your at it, convert your doors to the minivan style sliding ones. I've never seen that before.

seriously though.... IMO, it's a waste of money and the practicality issues you just mentioned just doesn't cut it for me. Save your money on a better mod.