General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

DIY: Get Sponsored

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Lightbulb DIY: Get Sponsored

I got this out of NOPI's latest magazine.

Getting Sponsored...

For years, we've seen decals on teh sides of cars. Somtines it was owners bragging, posing or advertising for no good reason. Today, it's more likely decals represent sponsorship relationships.

You might speculate then that with so many cars covered in decals, getting sponsored must be easy, right? Before you make out that wish list and start sending out order forms, however, you might want to make sure you understand the pros and cons of sponsorship.

Over the pass several years, I've pondered this topic from both the manufacturers' and participants' side. Having built several sponsored project cars for Eibach Springs, as well as three or four personal show cars that had some measure of success, I discovered a few tactics that proved effective in securing corporate sponsorship. As I began organizing my findings into some sort of a useful format, I realized this information wasn't really available anywhere. So I put it into a book titled Sponsorship Do's and Don'ts (available in book stores for $39.95).

The secrets of obtaining sponsorships have been closely guarded, and many manufacturers aren't thrilled to have them shared; however, I'm convinces that communicating the importance of a sponsoree's obligation to a sponsoring manufacturer - an integral element ofthe book and this article - is the first step to successful relationships.

For starters, whether building a racecar or show car, the principles are the same. Since most of us will not be building a racecar anytime soon - a cheap one will set you back $100K - we'll concentrate on what is needed to procure sponsorship relationships for show vehicles.

There are three basic types of sponsorships: 1) product discount, 2) product donation and 3) cash disbursement. Because most companies in our industry do not provide the third type, we'll focus on the first two.

Arguably the most fundamental requirement for obtaining either type of sponsorship is having a car that is sponsorship worthy. This is where many people become blind, stupid and unreasonable. There are certain things that sponsors look for like vehicle desirability, uniqueness and level of current modification. They want to associate with vehicles that will get magazine features or TV commercials, i.e. exposure. You must build something to grab the imagination - that will get them excited.

Generally speaking, Civics, Integras and Eclipses are not good candidates unless they are EXTREMELY modified - I'm talking "Best of Show" winners here. This is because there are simply too many of these mainstream cars and very few will distinquish themselves, achieving stardom.

Other cars such as Neons, Focuses, Cavaliers, Grand Prixs and such will likewise find difficulty attacting corporate attention. Sponsores are looking for cars that people dream about. A good rule of thumb: If the kids are not dreaming about your car, it probably is not a good candidate. Likewise, daily-driven cars are not good candidates. Simply put, trailer queens are more desirable to sponsors. (I know, we all hate trailer queens... but the reality is that the greatest show cars are trailered.)

Now don't kill the messenger. Before you send me your hate e-mail tell me how great your mom's hand-me-down Pontiac Sunfire is, or how far along your are with your Integra, remember, it's not up to me.

Frequently, when turned down by a potential sponsor, you wonder why when all along it may simply have been your choice of an "undesirable" vehicle.

To stack the deck in your favor early on, seek out the latest and greatest cars, such as teh WRX, 350Z, Supra, RX-7 or other rare, higher-end "desirable" cars.

If you don't own one of these of can't afford to, don't give up. Using these techniques, you can get a Neon, Civic, or Focus sponsored, but be prepared to accept lesser sponsorships, i.e. product discounts or products from lesser known companies. A purpose built Neon or Grand Prix, one built strictly for audio competition, for example, might in fact be a decent candidate for stereo product sponsorship. But don't look to HKS for a twin turbo kit gratis.

Most cars, even "fringe" cars, are candidates for sponsorship among tuners specializing in those platforms, so that's encouraging. But any good show car with a good proposal shild still be able to secure product discounts. If you were going to build the car anyway, a discount would be nice, right? Remember: Sooner or later, you'll be stepping up to that next project. If you do right by your sponsorsors now, they'll remember you the next time.

Of course, everyone wants that full HKS sponsorship, but sponsored cars are a compromise. At the very least, you'll have to accept that you might not get exactly what you want, especially if you're getting it for free. This is a large part of why you see so many varying brands on cars at shows. These young, aggressive companies have doen a good job of providing some measure of sponships to help promote their brans among show goers. Owners of more obscure, less popular or even more common platforms have benefited by having access to companies receptive to sponsorships.

But sponsorship has some drawbacks. Once sponsored, extensive travel, commitment to finish the project and periodic reports of follow-up to the sponsors are minimum requirements. Covering a nice paint job with a host of decals is another trade-off.

Perhaps you already own a good sponsor-worthy car or are in the midst of selecting one now. How do you actually get those first sponsors? Again, having a car worthy is the primary requirement. Assuming you have a good base, there are some things you need to do.

You want to be noticed faster? Start with the outside of the vehicle. An aftermarket paint job, using a non-factory, bright color is a must. Avoid dark colors - sponsors know dark show cars have a limited chance for magazine features. Add a distinctive body kit and unique wheels. Now you're about ready for your first sponsors. Do whatever it takes to get to this point. Trust me, it works. I've had great success attracting sponsorships building my cars in this fashion.

It only makes fiscal sense - the interior (audio/video) and engine goodies are the most expensive parts of the car. This is teh stuff you want to get sponsored. You won't get sponsored until your car looks good. So, always start with the outside.

Once the outside is done, color photos and a full proposal should be prepared. Do not send an e-mail full of slang and "yo, what's up G?" It is a sure way to get turned down. If yo ucannot prepare a good proposal, have someone do it for you. Be sure to include a list of your shows, discuss your past successes with other cars, and do some research and provide the stats on this industry. Print it on high quality paper. After sending it out, follow up with at least three phone calls to each sponsor.

Once your proposal is circulating, concentrate on your show appearances. Geta good uniform shirt (not a T-shirt) and make yourself known at shows. Introduce yourself to every sponsor and get your proposal mailing list. Offer to help with their booth. This is called "paying your dues."

After the first season, sponsors should, at the very elast, be getting to know you. During the winter, upgrade your car with audio/video and interior. Remeber, only the most elaborate cars are sought out by sponsors. Be wild. Once complete, redo your proposal and mail it out again. Be sure the follow up with phone calls.

Does this process work? A good friend of mine in South Florida used to drive a nice Acura TL. Despite touring the show curcuit with uniforms and doing everything else right, sponsorship for the car was week. He upgraded to a Nissan 240SX, did a full Silvia conversion (starting with the outside, of course), adding a unique body kit and wheels, and bingo! Sponships came pouring in. His engine goodies and audio/video components all came to him - sponsored.

Eventually, you'll have to decide what's more important: having the vehicle built your way or having someone else pick up the tab. This may mean abandoning the current project in favor of something more desirable. If you follow the steps I've outlined, there's no reason you can't enjoy the show scene while competing at the highest levels - all with the help of sponsors.
Old 05-09-2003
Cracka

xtiszx is an unknown quantity at this point
Good post, pw
Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
Good post - though I would add that where you live & where the car is located helps a lot too. I doubt very many sponsors would go for a car here in MT where exposure would be minimal at most.

Thanks for the info though, good stuff. If I ever get back to the big city and decide to go all show, I'll keep this in mind.
Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
good post Fly!
Old 05-09-2003
x-factor

prototype is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by xtiszx
Good post, pw
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLLY HAHAHA ITS A GOOD POST THO
Old 05-09-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
thanks for the info FLY...interesting stuff
Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
i am already sponsored so i must be doing something right!!!

Injen
Old 05-09-2003
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
i like my sponsors alot hehe.. soon to get more
Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

CUE2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good stuff... gotta get me a sponsor now! now! NOW!!