Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Engine Noise!!! Gonna need your advice / expertise 7thgeners!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ohsnapsjay08 will become famous soon enough
Red face Engine Noise!!! Gonna need your advice / expertise 7thgeners!

well, i think i have engine problem but not sure. it may be the clutch.. anywho.. everytime i rev (pressing gas pedal and iam in neutral or even driving) its making some kind of clanking noise (clak clak lol) over/around 2k-3krpm, it was actually doing that before when i change to aftermarket header but it went away (and that noise went away when i did the PCM ECU RESET).. now i was thinking i might just need to do the PCM ECU reset but i dont think it has something to do with it at all. unfortunately its making that same noise agian (when i switch to stock header)
Old 11-06-2006
Registered!!

com'n expert peepz!
Old 11-06-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
so it only makes the sound when you use the stock header? or is it that you cant hear it after you put the aftermarket header on? sounds like a valve tap which is common. they may need to be readjusted.
Old 11-06-2006
Registered!!

well i put my aftermarket header and was no sound... but when i put my stock.. like a day or two, it started making that noise.. anywho, what is a valve tap? and you said is common... is it possible for me to adjust or i need to go to a car shop? i have manual trans btw, may thats 100X more common lol

thanks for the rep bro.
Old 11-06-2006
Registered!!

BigE19 has a spectacular aura aboutBigE19 has a spectacular aura about
I have the same problem.
Old 11-06-2006
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
Well if its happening when you are revving and its not more like a ticking sound, it may just be a rattle coming from the engine bay. Could be a loose heatshield, who knows! Gotta isolate where its coming from. If you are not noticing anything strange with the engine itself like bad vibrations or the performance has gone down significantly, you should be ok... especially since you probably dont ahve that many KMs on your car... Unless you beat it to **** lol.
Old 11-07-2006
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Nameless
Well if its happening when you are revving and its not more like a ticking sound, it may just be a rattle coming from the engine bay. Could be a loose heatshield, who knows! Gotta isolate where its coming from. If you are not noticing anything strange with the engine itself like bad vibrations or the performance has gone down significantly, you should be ok... especially since you probably dont ahve that many KMs on your car... Unless you beat it to **** lol.
Yup you said it!! Most likely heatshield!!
Old 11-07-2006
Registered!!

BigE19 has a spectacular aura aboutBigE19 has a spectacular aura about
Well my motors been through hell and back. Turbo, popped head, and I constantly rape the b!tch i'll take a look for a lose heat shield. Thanks for the heads up
Old 11-07-2006
Registered!!

huh.. my heatshield is fully tightned thoe.. this morning the sound kinda went away and alil later, its making that sound again.. but not as loud as yesterday... prolly tomorrow it'll go away complete, it just got some flu lol
Old 11-07-2006
Registered!!

SOHC_VTEC_pwr is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the check engine light on???
Old 11-08-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
sounds like a exhaust leak. it can make a patter sound when you step on the gas. also if it goes away or doesnt do it as much when the car is warm its another sign. you might have a cracked stock manifold. that is what happened to mine and tht is why i originally did the exhaust conversion. remember when i said i was having my neighbor weld the stock manifold. he was laying a bead over the crack.
it especially sounds like that could be the issue if it went away with the obx header install and is back with the stock manifold in place.
start the car and rev i tfrom under the hood. see if you can pinpoint where the noise is comming from and what kind of noise it is making. if its a patter or a tick rather than a clack then i am pretty sure that is your problem. or you may have a piece of the cat screen stuck in the cat. either way if the stock manifold does it and the header doesnt its obviously a manifold problem
Old 11-09-2006
Registered!!

Ic, I actually found out 2days ago whats making the noise.. i actually lost a bolt on my stock header when i installed it and there's like little opening lol! so found a replacement for now but i have to buy the exact same one... dang, couldnt imagine how sensetive it was.. anywho PROBLEM SOLVE!!!

thanks for those of you helped!
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
i new it was an exhaust leak. you did too much work on it lately for it to just appear and not be that!!
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

true. .funny how one screw can make that noise lol!