Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Paint falling off front bumper

Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
khanselman is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Paint falling off front bumper

So, about a year ago I bought a Honda Certified 02 DX from a dealership up here. They gave me a CarFax report and it was clean and has one of those buy back guarantees. During the winter I started to notice that a small chip of paint was coming off my front bumper. I figured I got hit with a rock from a trucker which happens to me a lot. In the spring I washed my car and noticed the chip was getting bigger and bigger. I brought it back to the dealership and they said that the certification doesn't cover it and that they couldn't fix it there, that I had to bring it to a body shop. Over the summer I have been saving some money to get it painted and I've been waiting to get a quote. But, while I did this everytime I wash my car more and more paint falls off.. to the point now that about 1/4 of my bumper is chipped off in random parts / chips.

A buddy I know works with someone who also works at a body shop and I had him look at it for me. He told me that the paint on the bumper wasn't the original paint and that the person who painted it didn't do it correctly.

He explained to me that there is a three step process basically where they spray an adhesive on it, put another adhesive on, then paint it. Well, apparently the person who painted it before never used the adhesive. He told me that in order to paint it they would have to chemically strip it and then paint it but the chemicals would weaken the bumper and that my best bet would be to get a new bumper and have it painted.

Now, I am a little pissed because when I bought the car certified and with a clean carfax record, I would never think something like this would happen! Is there something I can do to get the dealership to fix this?
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

jameslinkinpark will become famous soon enoughjameslinkinpark will become famous soon enough
I don't really know anything about things like that, but I would think there's gotta be something you can do if the report was clean and they didn't tell you about the repainted bumper....It sucks that that's happening to you and they won't even help you out.
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Carfax has any info on "unreported" accidents or repairs. Say the previous owner had the same problem you have with rocks chipping the bumper paint, or there was a little parking lot fender bender, and they really want to trade the Civic for that new Si. So their buddy has the idea to paint the bumper with some of his left over paint and nobody will ever know. It sucks for you, but I don't think there is any recourse. If I were you, I'd just find a new bumper that's the right color or have it painted.

Check the "For Sale" section, you might get lucky. After the new bumper is painted, I'd go back to where you bought the car and show them and at least ask for half of the cost. Again, you might get lucky...
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

Angry

I kept thinking in the back of my head something like what you said bob... but I guess I just didn't want to accept that because I wanted it fixed and don't want to shell out lots of $$$ for it.. I called the dealership today to see what they could do, but the guy I bought the car from / the person I wanted to talk to was helping someone else so I left a message. I doubt they will do anything about it though....
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

well, I called the honda dealership monday and left a message for the sales rep that sold me the car, and no reply yet. I doubt he wants to even discuss my problem with me :-\
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

BoostedVik is an unknown quantity at this point
dude dont call his ***, just go down there and talk to him in person, look him in the eyes and look angry, like ur about to kill someone! maybe you will get some where.... i am a salesman, so when a customer comes back in i tell my self, OH **** this is going to be a lond day. good luck
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

Colombian4Lyf is an unknown quantity at this point
First off, you dont need a new bumper. They usually just sand it down, and spray the needed primer. Take it somewhere else. If the bumper is not damaged it does not need to be replaced. He is probably just trying to get fast and make you pay for a new bumper so he can pocket some money. I had my bumper painted a total of 3 times, trust me I didnt have it replaced. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
I dunno why you had to have your bumper painted 3 times... maybe kuz u painted it the first 2 times with out adhesive? lol, all good.

I actually have 2 front bumpers kuz I had a prob with my bumper too. The chick (the main prob) that i bought the car from, was backing outta a tight spot and scraped up the front fender/bumper on a cement post.. (bia). But anyways, my plan was to bondo it, and then... that was my problem... but anyways, in the mean time while i was bondo'ing.. I checked craigslist and found a guy selling the exact bumper (color too) that I needed- he won it off a buddy during a street race apparently... But the bumper was in kinda shitty shape. My friend and I worked on it to the point it looks new... I'm not 100% happy with it, because there are some hairline fractures in the paint, like it was in a minor accident. I'll prob be in your position down the road. *sucks* I'm thinking I can paint it myself though--- the right way (****, its just the very edge like 4 inches by 1 inch...

I hope you figure it out. Body shops suck, I took it for a quote and the dude was like, yeah- 800 bucks to do the bumper and the fender, kuz they had to be resprayed. I told him to fvck off.

moral of this story: used crap sucks.

I hope you get it right. Giving the sales guy a hard... i dunno, if u did it right and made him fear the loss of his job i'm sure you could get it done. Dig through thoes papers man! Did you say there was a buyback guarentee? Might wanna see what thats about. (dont have them buy it back, but reinburse you).

good luck man.
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

Colombian4Lyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TRIZ
I dunno why you had to have your bumper painted 3 times... maybe kuz u painted it the first 2 times with out adhesive? lol, all good.
lol, nah the first time was when I put the lip on it, second time is when the lip was molded to the bumper. Third time was, when some dumb b1tch scraped the **** out my bumper with a shopping cart...
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

mexinaction will become famous soon enoughmexinaction will become famous soon enough
the guy might have forgotten top put in flex additive in his paint
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

redrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura about
My 'vic was repainted too. By about a year later about 70% (what was repainted) of the clear coat was fallen off. Took it back and the guy repainted it for next to nothing.
Old 10-20-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Originally Posted by Colombian4Lyf
lol, nah the first time was when I put the lip on it, second time is when the lip was molded to the bumper. Third time was, when some dumb b1tch scraped the **** out my bumper with a shopping cart...
werds, that looks pretty dope after molding it. I mean really dope- nice job.
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

So, I took my car to the dealership and showed them. They brought the service manager out to look at it and informed me that the paint wasn't the original on the bumper (duh) and that because of this they couldn't do anything about it, but if I went to this local body shop and drop their name that the guy would give me a good deal.

So, I did exactly that.. Well, I was then informed that not only was the paint not oringinal, but neither was the bumper! He told me that they have seen this on 3 different civics since this summer where these aftermarket replica oem bumpers don't allow the paint to adhere to the plastic and it keeps falling off. Something about how the bumper was made and the plastics they used in the manufacture that the paint just wont stick.. all in all will cost me $600+ to fix it (includes buying a new OEM bumper).

So, as you can guess, I was even more angered by this! I stopped back at the dealership with the quote they had printed me to shove it in the dealers mouth, but it was luckily his day off. I talked to a guy there and he could tell I wasn't very pleased and he looked semi scared and was very nice to me and took some information and said he would give it to the sales rep to see what he can do.. Lets hope for their sake they figure something out!
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

zillaz is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this might sound like a stupid question... but you aren't washing your car with dawn dish soap, or laundry detergent are you?
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

Um.... no?
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

Kaden_23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, i would go down to the dealership and fight it, i wouldn't pay for that!
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

zillaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Just checking - Most people dont know that using dawn soap, or laundry detergent destroys wax, and even eats through paint.
Old 10-28-2006
Registered!!

BoostedVik is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by zillaz
Just checking - Most people dont know that using dawn soap, or laundry detergent destroys wax, and even eats through paint.

we know but thanks for your concern
Old 10-28-2006
Registered!!

gizcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking to the sales rep is worthless go higher up in the chain