Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

***PLEASE READ THIS!!!*** VIN protection and car protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
***PLEASE READ THIS!!!*** VIN protection and car protection

****THIS IS NO JOKE!****

Not sure if some of you members have heard what has been happening lately.
Car theives are now starting to obtain your VIN number through your front window. What they do with this you might ask? Well its simple, your car from the dealersship is given a VIN for numerous reasons one of those which is for your key.

Now car theives are taking your VIN number, calling the dealership, saying they lost their key to the car and they need a duplicate made. They give the dealer the vin to your car and boom a new key is cut and your car is gone! Some car dealerships arent even ID'ing individuals to make sure who is who... Its mainly the dealers fault but its something you should be aware of.

HOW DO YOU PREVENT THIS YOU ASK?

Its easy, take a 3x5 business card and cover the vin decal in your window, its completly legal to do this and it will prevent them from obtaining your VIN number to get a new key made or at least attempt to get one.

I am not sure if car dealerships are completly aware of this but its something i want you all to be aware about espically now that my car got broken into 2 weeks ago and they took all my stereo equipment. Just want you all to be aware and be safe! Any questions feel free to pm me.

injen

Last edited by injencivic; 08-09-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
downsouth_em2 has a spectacular aura aboutdownsouth_em2 has a spectacular aura aboutdownsouth_em2 has a spectacular aura about
Whoa....
Old 08-09-2006
Crack kills... But then again... So do I...

notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
Much thanx... I'll def. be doing this...
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

flipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enoughflipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enough
wow, good to know.
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
Getting done on the way to lunch thanks man.
Old 08-09-2006
A big, hairy Kentucky boy

stinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to all
It's all the fault of dealerships. They are supposed to get proof of ownership when cutting a key from the VIN#.
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

scrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of light
Hmm just called some dealerships around my area and they told me that they do need the VIN# and they also need proof of ownership of the vehicle...Im guessing like insurance, title, or registration.

Reading this kinda scares me coz dealerships will say something and then not follow through with it when someone does come in and ask to get a key made, u know?

I think im gonna cover mine up anyways.

Last edited by scrimp; 08-09-2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

soldierboi will become famous soon enoughsoldierboi will become famous soon enough
takes like two seconds to cover it just do it
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

TOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the rough
+repped. thx for the heads up
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
i believe covering up the area where your VIN number is is illegal to do.
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

greenEX will become famous soon enoughgreenEX will become famous soon enough
as long as u can remove it for verification it is perfectly legal to cover it up. U just cannot remove the tag or fool with it thats when it get sketchy.
Old 08-09-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, I had never thought about that. I Will cover the tag up, just in case.
Although the process of making a key in the dealership I bought it (which it would make sense that it is the only one where you can get the key through, at least here in Puerto Rico) the person whose name is in the title (or pink slip for you racers ) is the only one who can get one and they have to go through the dealer's manager to get it.
Bright idea covering it up, nonetheless.
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

JB Dizzle has a little shameless behaviour in the past
best and cheapest DIY ever... thank you injen
Old 08-09-2006
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
i thought i heard the cops say one time that it's illegal to cover your vin number... hmmm. i'll ask the hot cop that just bought a car from our dealership next time she's in
Old 08-09-2006
The blackbeauty ES1.

jhonsok is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm going to my dealership tonight anyways with my aunt. Shes buying a new fit. So, while i'm there, perhaps i shall try to get a key copied for me by just giving them my VIN...and i'll try to be VERY persuasive..i'll let you guys know the results..
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
thanks i am going to do that right now
Old 08-09-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
This isnt possible in all states you know. My VIN number is also on my registration sticker which is impossible to cover up so just putting an index card over that one area wont do anything. Also what if your parked in an illegal area and a cop wants to write you a ticket, how would he see your VIN number if you are not near your car and its covered up?
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by RHCP0801
This isnt possible in all states you know. My VIN number is also on my registration sticker which is impossible to cover up so just putting an index card over that one area wont do anything. Also what if your parked in an illegal area and a cop wants to write you a ticket, how would he see your VIN number if you are not near your car and its covered up?

VIN's can sometimes be obtained by your license plate through police records. and you shouldnt be illegally parked in the first place lol.

Originally Posted by stinkypie
It's all the fault of dealerships. They are supposed to get proof of ownership when cutting a key from the VIN#.

i said that above and yes it is basically their fault

Originally Posted by TOEnail
+repped. thx for the heads up

thanks man!

Last edited by injencivic; 08-09-2006 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-09-2006

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
ok well what about the people with the registration sticker...those people cant do this
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by JB Dizzle
best and cheapest DIY ever... thank you injen

welcome

Originally Posted by manahoonie
i thought i heard the cops say one time that it's illegal to cover your vin number... hmmm. i'll ask the hot cop that just bought a car from our dealership next time she's in

as long as you can remove the cover, thats why i said index card.

ok well what about the people with the registration sticker...those people cant do this

the only thing one the registration sticker i would recommend is to basically call your local dealerships. Thats really the only thing i could think of cause i am sure like you said you are required to have those on your cars.

Last edited by injencivic; 08-09-2006 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-09-2006

yea we are required to have them here in NY and other states
Old 08-09-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
I've been doing this for about a year and a half. On my Cavalier I had my front plate covering the vin, on the Vic I just took a black card and put it over it
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

Honda_Inspired is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ Black card is a good idea. It blends in well with the black border. Saw this on the news a long time ago, but thanks for the reminder - I just covered mine
Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

yea we are required to have them here in NY and other states

hmmm for your case man i really dont know besides just calling your local dealers.
Old 08-25-2006
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Originally Posted by jhonsok
I'm going to my dealership tonight anyways with my aunt. Shes buying a new fit. So, while i'm there, perhaps i shall try to get a key copied for me by just giving them my VIN...and i'll try to be VERY persuasive..i'll let you guys know the results..

well....??
Old 08-28-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
well....??

ya i was wondering what happened also...
Old 09-18-2006
My Honda Loves Me ^_^

2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute2005EM2 has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for the heads up injencivic
Old 09-18-2006
kind

I went to the dealer the other day to get a new copy cut as the little tabs on my origional key were worn and starting to catch. I gave them the VIN they cut and programmed the key. They asked for my name I gave it to them, paid for the key and walked out. Never did they ask me for proof. This is evidence of how little if any dealerships really check! This is a good idea to do in my book!
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

coupe2003 is a jewel in the roughcoupe2003 is a jewel in the roughcoupe2003 is a jewel in the roughcoupe2003 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jhonsok
So what happened with this? I'm curious.
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
well in MA our vin is right on our inspection sticker, so it doesn't matter

Quick Reply: ***PLEASE READ THIS!!!*** VIN protection and car protection