Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Worthy Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOOP is an unknown quantity at this point
Worthy Upgrades

So, we have a lot of people on here with plenty of knowledge of not only 7th gens. but cars in general. I have been on this forum for a while (eventhough I don't post much) and I always read people saying "don't do i,h,e" (intake, header, exhaust for you newbs out there). So I was just curious: what, in everyones opinion, upgrades to our 7th gens are well worth the money and make the car that much more fun?

P.S. Please do not post turbo or swap, we all know those are worthy, but expensive upgrades
Old 01-30-2006
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FOOP
So, we have a lot of people on here with plenty of knowledge of not only 7th gens. but cars in general. I have been on this forum for a while (eventhough I don't post much) and I always read people saying "don't do i,h,e" (intake, header, exhaust for you newbs out there). So I was just curious: what, in everyones opinion, upgrades to our 7th gens are well worth the money and make the car that much more fun?

P.S. Please do not post turbo or swap, we all know those are worthy, but expensive upgrades

Depends on what you like, I've allways found that cornering was alot more fun then accelerating... SO I've pretty much spent my time fine tuning the suspension and running open track days/autocrosses. but if you like drag racing, 99% of what I've done with the car would be worthless, and some of it dangerous.
Old 01-30-2006
diamonds she will pretty much have to

ex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the rough
Everyone's gonna say suspension mods. Coilovers, upgraded sway bars, front upper strut bar, x-brace, tie bar, some lightweight 15x7 or 16x7 inch rims. Other than that turbo or swap.
Old 01-30-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
I/H/E isnt a bad idea for starters..... perhaps not the most cost effective.... Honda D-series engines wont make much power without some serious financial investment.
Old 01-30-2006
4 cyclinders down, 4 to go.....

acjones21 is an unknown quantity at this point
the fun per $$ quotient with suspension modding is MUCH higher than engine modding. The civic is a **** poor drag platform, so power mods are pretty much $$ wasted. The guy with the cybernation K20a2 on here was pretty badass, but I'd hate to have that much HP to the front wheels in a daily driver.
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
If i had to do it all over again id do this Suspension => I.C.E. => Rims => & Headers to axle-back (Complete Exhaust, custom that is) and when u have the money just get a turbo swap the header for manifold and bolt up ur turbo.
Old 01-30-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
here is the way im doing it

repairing the car after accidents
Finally a suspension upgrade (tokico D-specs w/ H&R springs)
Exterior upgrade (fog lights, new bumpers, headlights and emblems)
99 si wheels (hopefully if vandejr93 actually sent them otherwise im gonna have to go medevil on his ***)
next is probably ICE
than engine swap
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

simplicated1979 will become famous soon enoughsimplicated1979 will become famous soon enough
hmmmmm...well in my case, I'm planning on having my car for a very long time. I'm taking my time to do upgrades and i started simple because everyone was once a so called "noob" I replaced my bulbs with some nice cold blue bulbs, then cleared my headlghts, then i did my intake, then exhaust, an exterior mod which is a flush mount spoiler and next i'm gonna work on getting rid of as much body role as i could, and slap on some sweet rims before summer. taxes anyone...right around the corner...anyone..???
Old 01-30-2006
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
i find that the only upgrades i enjoy the most are suspension ones. my car is sooo slow lol
Old 01-30-2006
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
ICE is always worthwhile unless ur not a music fan. I love music, thats one of the biggest parts of my day is to decide what to listen to.

suspension mods make driving a LOT more fun. exterior mods are nice if you want it to look better.. if you take long trips maybe replace the seats. or even if you just want the feel of aftermarket seats (or RSX)

IHE is nice if you want sound.

you could always try the small performance mods.. cams, clutch/flywheel, etc.

eventually I still want to get an intake, oem lip kit, and upgrade my ice.
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
Expense lowest to highest that are worth it.
1) rsx-s rear sway
2) neuspeed upper strut bar
3) Front or rear speakers
4) Short Shift adap
5) Springs (should really only buy with #10)
6) Window Tint
7) Head unit
8) X-brace
9) Subs and amp
10) Struts/shocks(only if you have #5 )
11) RSX Leather
12) Nitrous
13) Coil Overs
14) In dash DVD player
15) Turbo
16) Swap

I am no pro but in general those are all worth having

Last edited by nick95673; 01-30-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2006
If Your Reading This Your Dee Dee Dee

Bad_Civc is an unknown quantity at this point
well from what ive read everyone has different plans and things they did/ are going to do ..

what ive done to the car

1. Cd Player
2. Short Ram
3. Subs & Amp
4. Short Shift Adapter
5. Elegante By TYC Black Projectors( ignore the sig.. lol those were some chrome ones i bought on ebay for 40 bucks and took em off and now i got the black ones and i love the black ones )

thats all thats done right now..

plans i wanna do and will do

1. K20A or A2 Swap
2. suspension
3. primer , fix dents, repaint
4. more involved motor work ( cams, cam gears, pistons )
5. Turbo
6. maybe a kit or just leave it sleepered out..

Last edited by Bad_Civc; 01-30-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
most worthy would be suspension just for the handling.
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
if you like music, go ice. i think civics are pretty nice for show cars.
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

dadawads is an unknown quantity at this point
I never had the idea of drag racing, or even autocrossing. Just making my manual ex more responsive, more fun. I wanted to be able to climb the Grapevine in fifth gear - no downshifting. I put on an AEM V2 intake, DC Sports 4-1 header, Neuspeed front upper strut brace, rerouted the coolant line to the intake manifold, (this cancels out intake preheating), put in denso irridium plugs, and put an insulating wrap over the intake. I also changed from dyno oil to synthetic, and got wider tires on the original rims. I just ordered AEM pulleys. My car is definitely more fun than it used to be, and I can go up the Grapevine in 5th gear. Also it sounds sooo good when you rev it. V2 has a unique and excellent sound. The intake and header have been on for a year, and I'm very happy with them. Also the wider tires made a very noticeable difference in handling and comfort. I'm thinking about Eibach Pro springs to lower it just a bit. No plans for exhaust because exs already have a decent one, and I won't spend $500 to gain less than 2 horsepower.

Dadawads
Old 02-11-2006
Registered!!

Just installed AEM pulleys. It took me longer than I would have thought, but I like the results. Smoother, quieter, a bit more pull and better throttle action. I expect slightly better mileage along with the 3 scavenged horsies. Here's a tip... an electric impact driver from Kragen for $22 worked great in taking the nut off the alternator. For a good comparison to other mods, remember that a header adds only about 3 hp (if you're lucky), so this mod should not be sneezed at. Be careful that you don't make the belts too tight...it causes premature failure of the components.
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

Update: I just installed the AEM pulleys, one for the power steering, the other for the alternator. Excellent mod. More power per dollar than almost any other mod; $150 including shipping for about 3 Whp.

Dadawads
Old 03-06-2006

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
and if you got a cam for 300 bucks it would net you 15hp.
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
^^ you forgot about tuning and installation
Old 03-06-2006

Originally Posted by Curiouz_G
^^ you forgot about tuning and installation
provided you did it yourself. yea i should have made that clear
Old 03-06-2006
There is gl@ss in my @SS...

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
Its been proven that the pulley for the alternator ruins your alternator. So i would consider taking that one off. Just ask gearbox, he'll tell ya his experience.