Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

to drop or not to drop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
depotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura about
to drop or not to drop?

Now........ i am a newbie here on these great forums of honda and have a question! I have a 2002 civic lx coupe....and want to change the visaul of it.......now i want to ask if i should drop it.......or should i buy a lip kit???????/ i dont have money for both..........and just want to do 1 of them......which one would be cheaper....? and whut would look better? i seen pics of both but kinda still undicided ....i need ya help........!!!!!

also .....if i was to drop it......can i still run on stock shocks?<<<<<stupid question!
Old 07-27-2005
Registered!!

ohnoitssoysauce is an unknown quantity at this point
you should really do both imo. a drop will look good but it's simple. a lip kit will look weird without a drop. they both go together so try saving up and get both. stock shocks could blow any second so it's better to get aftermarket ones. i lowered my car 2.3in and running on stock shocks for almost 2 months. i guess if the roads are good enough then they will last a long time. i would recomend upgrading the shocks tho
Old 07-27-2005
PWIT
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
drop. gives the car a MUCH meaner stance.
Old 07-27-2005
The blackbeauty ES1.

jhonsok is an unknown quantity at this point
^^
yeap. well said.
i dropped my car with Tein Stechs. just springs..and it looks that much better..the wheel gap is just too big stock.

dropped like 1.7 - 1.8 inches. it looks like what it should look like with that height. Stock height looks like a 4x4 to me now. lol

Last edited by jhonsok; 07-27-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2005
Still in the game...

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
drop it then when u have the cash but the lip kit.....you wont have problems dropping the car on stock struts unless you go 2" or lower/drive like an azzhole over every pothole that can be seen
Old 07-27-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
i would say go for the drop too
i can sell my s tech to you!
Old 07-27-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
with drop....you risk blowing shocks, ride comfort is sacraficed, but much better stance.

lip kit... no downfalls. i believe gearbox had OEM lip kit on his ssm sedan with no drop and it looked real nice/clean.
Old 07-27-2005
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
buy lip kit and get a pair of goldline springs and ur set.
Old 07-28-2005
Superior Evolutionary Element Destined-factor

Xenin is an unknown quantity at this point
why is it that you people never have enough money to do both? i had enough money to get springs, shocks, camber kit, rims, tires, lug nuts, headlights and headlights, foglights and foglights, strut bar, rearsway bar, veloz skirt kit, generic intake, and some other little things. i've still got money left over to buy more stuff if i wanted to.

FIRST, save money and get shocks and springs. tokico blues or dspecs with neuspeed sports will be good.

here's mine without my skirt kit on (neuspeed sport springs):

Old 07-28-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
i like how no one has mentioned the added benefit of improved handling when you lower your car. So long as you get good shocks too. Otherwise it will be a bouncy ride.
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been debating lowering since I bought the bitach in 01 and just bought all the stuff. I've had the OEM kit for years and just gonna lower it this week w/ sportlines, HP Blues, and SPC camber kit
Old 07-28-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by skipbarber
i like how no one has mentioned the added benefit of improved handling when you lower your car. So long as you get good shocks too. Otherwise it will be a bouncy ride.
Yup, I was just gonna mention that...

Bluestreak, you'd be getting my same exact set up, had it for almost a year now, and it's been great so far...
Old 07-28-2005
2004 Honda Civic EX

Civic404 is an unknown quantity at this point
For my car I went ahead a bought the aero kit first and I am going to lower it later.
Here are a some pics of my car with the aero kit and not lowered.

Old 07-28-2005
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Xenin
why is it that you people never have enough money to do both? i had enough money to get springs, shocks, camber kit, rims, tires, lug nuts, headlights and headlights, foglights and foglights, strut bar, rearsway bar, veloz skirt kit, generic intake, and some other little things. i've still got money left over to buy more stuff if i wanted to.

FIRST, save money and get shocks and springs. tokico blues or dspecs with neuspeed sports will be good.

here's mine without my skirt kit on (neuspeed sport springs):
The reason is that some people don't want to spend so much money on an entry-level economy car. Or maybe they simply have other responsibilities and can't dedicate that much money to modding. Have a little understanding.
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
drop it like its hot, drop it like its hot, drop it like its hot. When the pigs try 2 get at u, bark it like its hot.......
Old 07-28-2005
This is not my batman glass!!

saugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trusted
kyle the only thing that u can get is pigs..so make use of it
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
cubanmike - what size rims do you have?
Old 07-28-2005
spell check pwns you

tuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud of
if you drop it do the shicks too...or else you will be on a rollercoaster when you drive...every bump feels like u ran over a body...lol...ur best bet is save up and get good springs and shocks....good luck
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
Originally Posted by saugashan
kyle the only thing that u can get is pigs..so make use of it
Hey! I gotta GF. And its not my right hand....

Or my left for that matter........
Old 07-28-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
i would say drop it first. i thought my car looked good at stock height, just changing to 04 ex wheels (i have a vp), but ever since i dropped it, every stock height one i see looks like ***.

and it handles a lot better too. i have ground controls with koni yellows, i recommend doing shocks/springs at the same time
Old 07-29-2005
Registered!!

depotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura aboutdepotcivic has a spectacular aura about
yo.....more questions

lookin at the pics......the kit...not lowered looks good........i mean theres time and all that....i was wondering wht to do first.....if i save money ill blow it all........right now i got a grand saved up ......i was wondering what ya paid to drop.....on average....and kit on average.........and im in houston......any one know anyone who can put on tha kit or springs.......
Old 07-29-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
i can't stand cars with stock heights now!
Old 07-29-2005
2004 Honda Civic EX

Civic404 is an unknown quantity at this point
For my aero kit I paid 900.00 from the honda dealer I got a 20% discount on it b/c I said I worked at one of the local body shops. I was going to have someone install the kit when I bought it, but after I looked at the directions I say how easy it was so i did it myself. It took about 2 hours for me to put the kit on by myself
Old 07-29-2005
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Always spend $$ on the cheaper mod first then you can still have some $$ left over to spend. And once you have enough saved for the lip kit then go for it. Besdies lowering makes the car look and handle better wit or without a lip kit!!
Old 07-29-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
you forgot some ......................'s in your posts.

I say save your money for a proper drop - coilovers. Not some relabelled Taiwanese crap. I'm talking about high quality stuff like Tein or JIC. Granted, those are very hefty in terms of price, but still, you're going to regret getting *just* springs or *just* shocks.
Old 07-30-2005
Registered!!

yo..

ok.......... wait a gwad dawg minute.....some people say that if i lower it a some certain inches ..i realy dont need shocks........all i need is lowering springs..........then some say i need shocks........if i dont buy shocks and get some preety good quality springs.......how much comfortt in my ride will i be loosing..........at stock i ride smooth,...yet i can handle a lil downgrade in ride....

so whuts up/.............now.the quetion is......to shock or not to shock...?
Old 07-30-2005

dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by depotcivic
ok.......... wait a gwad dawg minute.....some people say that if i lower it a some certain inches ..i realy dont need shocks........all i need is lowering springs..........then some say i need shocks........if i dont buy shocks and get some preety good quality springs.......how much comfortt in my ride will i be loosing..........at stock i ride smooth,...yet i can handle a lil downgrade in ride....

so whuts up/.............now.the quetion is......to shock or not to shock...?
shocks are always good. i've heard both good and mild from the tokico blues. some say they ride like stock, others say they ride harsh. i'm guessing the ones who are saying they ride harsh are those who haven't been in a true sports car...

anyways, the stock shocks can handle a 1.5" drop for about a year, i would say. if you want to risk blowing your stock shocks, go for it. i personally would want to get full coilovers - adjustable shock/spring combo.
Old 07-30-2005
Registered!!

Ryan2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
i've got ground control adjustable coilovers with eibach springs, stock shocks, and the ride quality is just about the same as stock, i think i paid like $350 for the kit w/2-day air. i would lower the car first, besides if you just get springs, you may not be satisfied with the ride height and with these you can lower or raise the whole car in about 20 minutes
Old 07-30-2005
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
I say go for the drop... probably a modest 1.5 incher!
Old 07-30-2005

Originally Posted by Ryan2005
i've got ground control adjustable coilovers with eibach springs, stock shocks, and the ride quality is just about the same as stock, i think i paid like $350 for the kit w/2-day air. i would lower the car first, besides if you just get springs, you may not be satisfied with the ride height and with these you can lower or raise the whole car in about 20 minutes
you probably won't believe me when i say this, but your shocks are going to blow in a few days. i've gone through the drama of owning ground control coilovers on stock shocks and it's not fun after a week...

Quick Reply: to drop or not to drop?