Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   to drop or not to drop? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/221467-drop-not-drop.html)

depotcivic 07-27-2005 11:27 AM

to drop or not to drop?

Now........ i am a newbie here on these great forums of honda and have a question! I have a 2002 civic lx coupe....and want to change the visaul of it.......now i want to ask if i should drop it.......or should i buy a lip kit???????/ i dont have money for both..........and just want to do 1 of them......which one would be cheaper....? and whut would look better? i seen pics of both but kinda still undicided ....i need ya help........!!!!!

also .....if i was to drop it......can i still run on stock shocks?<<<<<stupid question!

ohnoitssoysauce 07-27-2005 02:33 PM

you should really do both imo. a drop will look good but it's simple. a lip kit will look weird without a drop. they both go together so try saving up and get both. stock shocks could blow any second so it's better to get aftermarket ones. i lowered my car 2.3in and running on stock shocks for almost 2 months. i guess if the roads are good enough then they will last a long time. i would recomend upgrading the shocks tho

CenZ 07-27-2005 02:40 PM

drop. gives the car a MUCH meaner stance.

jhonsok 07-27-2005 03:15 PM

^^
yeap. well said.
i dropped my car with Tein Stechs. just springs..and it looks that much better..the wheel gap is just too big stock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...k/IMGP0294.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...k/IMGP0292.jpg

dropped like 1.7 - 1.8 inches. it looks like what it should look like with that height. Stock height looks like a 4x4 to me now. lol

scatman 07-27-2005 03:39 PM

drop it then when u have the cash but the lip kit.....you wont have problems dropping the car on stock struts unless you go 2" or lower/drive like an azzhole over every pothole that can be seen

es2k2 07-27-2005 04:28 PM

i would say go for the drop too
i can sell my s tech to you!

jttegx 07-27-2005 04:42 PM

with drop....you risk blowing shocks, ride comfort is sacraficed, but much better stance.

lip kit... no downfalls. i believe gearbox had OEM lip kit on his ssm sedan with no drop and it looked real nice/clean.

slicksivik 07-27-2005 05:20 PM

buy lip kit and get a pair of goldline springs and ur set.

Xenin 07-28-2005 03:12 AM

why is it that you people never have enough money to do both? i had enough money to get springs, shocks, camber kit, rims, tires, lug nuts, headlights and headlights, foglights and foglights, strut bar, rearsway bar, veloz skirt kit, generic intake, and some other little things. i've still got money left over to buy more stuff if i wanted to.

FIRST, save money and get shocks and springs. tokico blues or dspecs with neuspeed sports will be good.

here's mine without my skirt kit on (neuspeed sport springs):

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28.../DSC01782A.jpg

skipbarber 07-28-2005 08:36 AM

i like how no one has mentioned the added benefit of improved handling when you lower your car. So long as you get good shocks too. Otherwise it will be a bouncy ride.

bluestreak 07-28-2005 09:00 AM

I've been debating lowering since I bought the bitach in 01 and just bought all the stuff. I've had the OEM kit for years and just gonna lower it this week w/ sportlines, HP Blues, and SPC camber kit

cubanmike26 07-28-2005 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by skipbarber
i like how no one has mentioned the added benefit of improved handling when you lower your car. So long as you get good shocks too. Otherwise it will be a bouncy ride.

Yup, I was just gonna mention that...

Bluestreak, you'd be getting my same exact set up, had it for almost a year now, and it's been great so far...

Civic404 07-28-2005 10:58 AM

For my car I went ahead a bought the aero kit first and I am going to lower it later.
Here are a some pics of my car with the aero kit and not lowered.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...4/1461e599.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...4/MVC-002S.jpg

white2K2EX 07-28-2005 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Xenin
why is it that you people never have enough money to do both? i had enough money to get springs, shocks, camber kit, rims, tires, lug nuts, headlights and headlights, foglights and foglights, strut bar, rearsway bar, veloz skirt kit, generic intake, and some other little things. i've still got money left over to buy more stuff if i wanted to.

FIRST, save money and get shocks and springs. tokico blues or dspecs with neuspeed sports will be good.

here's mine without my skirt kit on (neuspeed sport springs):

The reason is that some people don't want to spend so much money on an entry-level economy car. Or maybe they simply have other responsibilities and can't dedicate that much money to modding. Have a little understanding.

Kyle23 07-28-2005 12:54 PM

drop it like its hot, drop it like its hot, drop it like its hot. When the pigs try 2 get at u, bark it like its hot.......

saugashan 07-28-2005 01:06 PM

kyle the only thing that u can get is pigs..so make use of it :)

bluestreak 07-28-2005 01:14 PM

cubanmike - what size rims do you have?

tuner04civic 07-28-2005 01:45 PM

if you drop it do the shicks too...or else you will be on a rollercoaster when you drive...every bump feels like u ran over a body...lol...ur best bet is save up and get good springs and shocks....good luck

Kyle23 07-28-2005 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by saugashan
kyle the only thing that u can get is pigs..so make use of it :)

Hey! I gotta GF. And its not my right hand....

Or my left for that matter........

Al Gore FTW 07-28-2005 02:01 PM

i would say drop it first. i thought my car looked good at stock height, just changing to 04 ex wheels (i have a vp), but ever since i dropped it, every stock height one i see looks like ass.

and it handles a lot better too. i have ground controls with koni yellows, i recommend doing shocks/springs at the same time

depotcivic 07-29-2005 11:58 AM

yo.....more questions

lookin at the pics......the kit...not lowered looks good........i mean theres time and all that....i was wondering wht to do first.....if i save money ill blow it all........right now i got a grand saved up ......i was wondering what ya paid to drop.....on average....and kit on average.........and im in houston......any one know anyone who can put on tha kit or springs.......

es2k2 07-29-2005 12:51 PM

i can't stand cars with stock heights now!

Civic404 07-29-2005 02:24 PM

For my aero kit I paid 900.00 from the honda dealer I got a 20% discount on it b/c I said I worked at one of the local body shops. I was going to have someone install the kit when I bought it, but after I looked at the directions I say how easy it was so i did it myself. It took about 2 hours for me to put the kit on by myself

dru106 07-29-2005 08:48 PM

Always spend $$ on the cheaper mod first then you can still have some $$ left over to spend. And once you have enough saved for the lip kit then go for it. Besdies lowering makes the car look and handle better wit or without a lip kit!!

dirtySAMURAI 07-29-2005 09:14 PM

you forgot some ......................'s in your posts.

I say save your money for a proper drop - coilovers. Not some relabelled Taiwanese crap. I'm talking about high quality stuff like Tein or JIC. Granted, those are very hefty in terms of price, but still, you're going to regret getting *just* springs or *just* shocks.

depotcivic 07-30-2005 11:04 AM

yo..

ok.......... wait a gwad dawg minute.....some people say that if i lower it a some certain inches ..i realy dont need shocks........all i need is lowering springs..........then some say i need shocks........if i dont buy shocks and get some preety good quality springs.......how much comfortt in my ride will i be loosing..........at stock i ride smooth,...yet i can handle a lil downgrade in ride....

so whuts up/.............now.the quetion is......to shock or not to shock...?

dirtySAMURAI 07-30-2005 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by depotcivic
ok.......... wait a gwad dawg minute.....some people say that if i lower it a some certain inches ..i realy dont need shocks........all i need is lowering springs..........then some say i need shocks........if i dont buy shocks and get some preety good quality springs.......how much comfortt in my ride will i be loosing..........at stock i ride smooth,...yet i can handle a lil downgrade in ride....

so whuts up/.............now.the quetion is......to shock or not to shock...?

shocks are always good. i've heard both good and mild from the tokico blues. some say they ride like stock, others say they ride harsh. i'm guessing the ones who are saying they ride harsh are those who haven't been in a true sports car...

anyways, the stock shocks can handle a 1.5" drop for about a year, i would say. if you want to risk blowing your stock shocks, go for it. i personally would want to get full coilovers - adjustable shock/spring combo.

Ryan2005 07-30-2005 01:51 PM

i've got ground control adjustable coilovers with eibach springs, stock shocks, and the ride quality is just about the same as stock, i think i paid like $350 for the kit w/2-day air. i would lower the car first, besides if you just get springs, you may not be satisfied with the ride height and with these you can lower or raise the whole car in about 20 minutes

JCiv03 07-30-2005 02:36 PM

I say go for the drop... probably a modest 1.5 incher!

dirtySAMURAI 07-30-2005 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan2005
i've got ground control adjustable coilovers with eibach springs, stock shocks, and the ride quality is just about the same as stock, i think i paid like $350 for the kit w/2-day air. i would lower the car first, besides if you just get springs, you may not be satisfied with the ride height and with these you can lower or raise the whole car in about 20 minutes

you probably won't believe me when i say this, but your shocks are going to blow in a few days. i've gone through the drama of owning ground control coilovers on stock shocks and it's not fun after a week...