Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Painting Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03CivicEX4Door is an unknown quantity at this point
Painting Help

Today i stated painting the fuse box and the valve cover, I bought American Tradition plastic enamel. Figured it would work cause i'm painting plastiuc well i was wrong. What kinda paint did evey one else use, if any 1 has any sugestions. please help

Old 06-19-2005
YUL
Registered!!

YUL has a spectacular aura aboutYUL has a spectacular aura about
did u sand it down and prime it b4 painting it?
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
no need to sand, just primer. To get that off, get some aircraft paint remover. 1. primer, 2. paint. And dont spray as much as you did before.
and try to pick a better color
Old 06-19-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
use light coats man way to heavey you can always add more but sucks to take off.
Old 06-19-2005
Mr. Clean

Changu-San can only hope to improve
you dont have to sand, but for best results and to have a smoother look, you should sand, prime and then paint. remember to keep can at least one ft away from whatever you're painting so that you apply the coat evenly.

Last edited by Changu-San; 06-19-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2005
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
agree... too thick for the first coat. go slowly...
Old 06-19-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by civicrice
no need to sand, just primer. To get that off, get some aircraft paint remover. 1. primer, 2. paint. And dont spray as much as you did before.
and try to pick a better color
Aircraft stripper is NOT plastic friendly. You're pretty much going to have to sand it off. Lots of things could have caused that but here's some of the leading ones...
1. It was dirty
2. Use used paint that was designed for wood or some other very porous medium
3. You didn't clean it (its in an engine bay, oil and dirt out number clean parts)

Either get it off, or buy another one, clean it with soap and water, let it dry, douse it in alcohol and let it air dry, then paint it. I've never primed mine and it sticks, but you might want to take some sand paper and roughen it up a bit first.
Old 06-20-2005
Registered!!

Thanks for the info, I'll sand it down should i'll use wet and dry if so what grit ? What the best paint and primer to get and where should i get it from ?
Old 06-20-2005
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
^ Get something that is heat resistant from your local auto store!
Old 06-20-2005
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
omg lmao

looks like the plastic was wet when you tried painting it.

sand that sucker down, wash it with mild dishsoap and lots of water. Then prime it and paint it... when you prime and paint... do extremely light coats.
Old 06-20-2005
Registered!!

ya i will ce more carefull this time. Gonna have to wait a few days. I'm getting my chevelle ready for GM nationals at carlisle, and i'm installing my evo cf hood today.