Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

EP3 seat swap ain't no thang....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
EP3 seat swap ain't no thang....

Wahoo!!! I couldn't wait till I had pictures, I just wanted to share cause I was so stressed over this shizznat....

I bought lounge8180's EP3 seats off him last week, and had them in my bedroom for a week till my gf could come over this past Saturday to help me install them. I was stressed cause my EL seats have side airbags, and the Canadian EP3's don't even have it as an option (those crazy Yankees have em though). So if I were to install them as-is, I would definitely get myself an SRS light, and maybe even a Side Airbag Off light....not pretty, and considering the attention I've been getting from the police as of late, something I definitely DON'T need. I was willing to sacrifice the side airbags, ricey and against even my own posted stand on this I know, but damn that red stitch was callin out to me.

So anyhoo, I checked around, even ended up joining a new forum as a result so I could get the SEARCH option to look for articles, and I found out that both airbag plugs (the ones going to the SRS unit under the dash) only require a 2-Ohm resistor plugged in there, just like when putting a non-airbag steering wheel on your car. No probs.....but then I noticed yet another extra plug under the passenger seat, which led to the OPDS unit (Occupant Position Something-or-other System?) and remembered that there are sensors in the passenger seat that turn off that airbag if they sense that a passenger is leaning forward or sideways too much in the seat, thus preventing injury should the bag deploy in a collision. Then I posted up WTB's all over looking for someone's spare RSX or EL seat to rip the OPDS unit out of. No one was able tohelp me out, so I relented and eventually disconnected the battery, took my own passenger seat out and brought it up to my place and dismantled the OPDS and sensor array (airbag was not removed). I then zip-tied the OPDS unit to some of the springs in the back of the new seat, and fastened the 3 sensors (they look like heating pads btw) securely behind it - thanks to my gf Jen for helping me take the seats out and dismantle the passenger one. Brought the seats back down, put the resistor in the airbag plugs, reconnected the seatbelt and tensioner plugs, and connected the OPDS plug in the passenger side, re-zipped the passenger seat neon tube (the driver's side one had cracked and blown, someone give me a new one pls). I then bolted down the seats - I know these were easier to put in than the RSX seats, just from reading the posts on this site, but almost everyone said there was some modding involved anyway. But with Jen's help holding the seat in various positions, all the bolts went in without modification and the seats are held down nice and snug. Full range sliding forward, the rear slide was hampered slightly by my mid floor bar, but more than enough to get a big passenger in, and even if I were to grow 6 inches I'd still be able to pull my seat back too.
So all bolted down and plugged in, all that was left to do was reconnect the battery. This done, I assumed the "paranoid about airbags deploying" pose and hid under the dash while I turned the key to ON. Once the initial beeps were done, I crawled back out of the car and sat in my snazzy new seats, no SRS or Side Airbag lights! Shizzam! As of today (installed on Saturday) absolutely nothing abnormal displaying in my cluster! Hurrah!

Pics coming soon, I took a pic or two of me working on the OPDS relocation...

How much could I get for my stock cloth EL seats? Both airbags are still intact, but the OPDS sensor has been removed from the passenger seat. The passenger seat has since been reassembled, no rips, tears, or stretches in the fabric - you wouldn't know it had been opened unless I told you....

Last edited by TeLLy; 01-17-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-17-2005
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Holy that was long and somewhat hard to understand without pics but nice job figuring it out.

Awaiting pics.
Old 01-17-2005
Back from the dead

Liro is an unknown quantity at this point
congrats man....sounds like it was definately worth all the work!

cant wait to see the pics....
Old 01-17-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Yet another mod I can add to my do-ables....RSX and EL seat swaps without the SRS light coming on.

I do have to give tons and tons of credit to ClubRSX's corso28 - his DIY was dead perfect, no way I would have even thought about attempting this if I hadn't found it. Clicky below:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=133724

It was hard without pics cause he had all red X's but his instructions were plenty good....
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

jer2k is an unknown quantity at this point
This all sounds very complicated. Congrats on the mod.

I hope my seat install is not so complex.
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

nitehawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the EP3 seats club!!!
Old 01-17-2005

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

You asked, and now you shall receive:

My new seats in my room, just waiting for install (and for me to clean my damn room):

Jen is taking pictures of me reaching into my passenger seat to get at the OPDS sensors:

Just.....a....little....further.....

This is where I decided to tuck the sensors and OPDS module:

From the passenger side:

From the driver's side:
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
telly your car looks fukin sic! nice job.
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

Ershall is an unknown quantity at this point
hott.
Old 01-18-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TeLLy
only nice painted interior ever!

matches the seats perfectly. excellent job!
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
Fitst off awesome work telly, I have a few questions for you though, my srs light is on from installing my racing seats, I want to just try and see if I install one of those resistors will it go off. I've got plenty of them just sitting at the house, but I need to know where to plug it in at????????
Old 01-18-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Hey realitycheck, I responded to your pm but I figure I'll post it for everyone's benefit - 2-Ohm resistors (I used 1/4watt) plug into the side airbag harness that sits under my seat. If you don't have side airbags in your car then it sounds like you replaced your seats without disconnecting the battery. Check to make sure the two plugs that come out of the seatbelt buckle are plugged into the ones that run from the car. If you've got racing harnesses then likely those plugs are disconnected, and no matter what you do the car will recognize your SRS system as being incomplete. I don't know what resistor value to put in those two plugs coming from the seatbelt buckle. You should search out the DIY for resetting the SRS light before worrying about resistors - it's on this site somewhere.

Oo oo, one more pic - me and my kitten enjoying our hard work in my brand new seats:

Last edited by TeLLy; 01-18-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Telly...if i ever ever have a reason to go to canadia...you MUST allow me to check out your kitt....i mean car. j/k much <3 telly, good job, they look uber clean.
Old 01-18-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Hey man great job dude that is so tight...How are they as in comfy??? must be pretty kool taking corners in those ..
Old 01-18-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

They're grrrreat. I sit a little higher in these than my stock EL seats, and actually that's compounded by the fact that I'm not slouching in them either like I used to with most other car seats. So comfort level is great, and even without adjustable lumbar or leg support, they hold me perfectly. I took some pretty good corners in the Hamilton area last night, just to test them out. My girl got scared, but we were both held in pretty well for Honda OEM seats, he he. No regrets about these.
Oh and my recurring rocking seat problem has also been solved, obviously.
Old 01-18-2005
SICCMADE

Danka02 is an unknown quantity at this point
thats pretty fukin sweet, and your girl help you too damn, i wish i had a girl that could help me with my car stuff, oh yeah and your diy on the rsx sway bar install help me alot too i got it done in 20 mins on the first time every doing it. this one will help me out when i put my corbues in later this spring but good job man
Old 01-18-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

She did the upholstery on my custom trunk too...
Old 01-18-2005

you have an RSX steering wheel too? wtf!

They look awesome btw...
Old 01-18-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Hey telly get some pics of your complete interior and trunk please i want to see the whole package dude...

just hold on a bit i gotta find that damn kleenex box again
Old 01-18-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

I gotta find a decent time to take pics, plus my backseat is dirty (damn tools).
Old 01-18-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Love your car. Wait til my tax return, Im getting some dope interior. Im getting black/grey leather, and dipping a whole bunch of crap in CF. So I figure a couple months it should all be done. I might do something w/my trunk, but not sure. I love your interior though, very clean and matches awesome. The paint onthe interior is so clean, never seen it look that nice. I wish I had a girl to help me with interior, upholstery. I tried my dash myself (in blue ) and it looks like as* to me. I get compliments on it ALL THE TIME, and nobody believes I did it myself , even though it looks crappy to me.
Old 01-18-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is my blue dash, i stopped after the dash so I wouldnt mess more up, and get it professionally done. It is Vinyl.

Old 01-18-2005
Fiji Club Member

HondaGuy12 is on a distinguished road
yeah nice seats man..i love ur interior..who did ur fiberglassing?
Old 01-18-2005
Fiji Club Member

Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
Here is my blue dash, i stopped after the dash so I wouldnt mess more up, and get it professionally done. It is Vinyl.

ur interior is sick..i want that blue in mine..where you located? lol..jk it does look awsome tho man..
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Telly, is that Kandy paint in your interior? Looks awesome either way.
Old 01-18-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

A lot of people ask me that....but it's just Duplicolor Metalcast and clear coat. I painted it myself...
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

nickm748 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow very very nice, ur interior looks sick
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

stroked_monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
looks good man, i like it a lot.
Old 01-19-2005
Fiji Club Member

Originally Posted by TeLLy
A lot of people ask me that....but it's just Duplicolor Metalcast and clear coat. I painted it myself...

damn that metalcast sure does look good..i know a couple people that use that on various things and damn..looks like immah havta start using it.... also....always after i clear coat my paintings....it doesnt hold up..and i put like 3 coats on...what kind of clear do u use?

Quick Reply: EP3 seat swap ain't no thang....