Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Best/Cheapest way to lower civic :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BretCarlisle is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Best/Cheapest way to lower civic :)

Hi, im a high school teenager who just wants to make his civic a ricer. lol. What is the best or cheapest way to lower my 2001 coupe ex. It is about 8 inches off the ground and the wheels are about 16 inches.
Old 12-10-2017
Registered!!

REXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura aboutREXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Best/Cheapest way to lower civic :)

Have you ever drove or rode in a lowered car ?
I thought it was a great look until I drove a lowered mini truck
That ended my desire
Old 12-10-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Cheapest way is eBay lowering springs ( not advisable)
Best way is with a quality set of coilovers: Koni, Tien, Eibach, etc..
Old 12-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Cheapest way is

Some people spend hundreds - even thousands merely to lower their car! Some people even cut their springs - that is the wrong way to lower a car! Why bother with different bolt sizes and components, when KaleCoAuto's do-it-yourself lowering kit is a mere four piece kit! Installs in minutes, just insert one per tire and you'll be the envy of every lowrider in town! Now available in standard, chrome, and gold.

$19.95

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=13
Old 12-10-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Installs in minutes, just insert one per tire and you'll be the envy of every lowrider in town! Now available in standard, chrome, and gold.

No Platinum?
Old 12-10-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

don't go completely cheap on suspension. Just a prefaced warning. It's basically the thing that links your car to the ground. Catastrophic failure of cheap components often means bye bye car.

That said, there are cost-effective ways to do so safely. And by cost effective, I'm talking like.. sub-$500.
Tein Street Basis Z - THmotorsports.com $488.96 shipped
These are adjustable coilovers, so you can adjust the ride height as you see fit. Fair warning, it's kind of a pain in the *** to raise/lower them, but it's doable. These, you can adjust from a .73" drop to a 3.1" drop. Reuse factory top mounts, or spend another $200 and get the pillowball upper mounts, which double as camber adjustment (for the front). If you want adjustable dampering (stiffness), look at the Tein Street Advance Z.

Alternatively, you can go the spring/strut combo, kind of a "set it and forget it" way. This is what I did on my 2002 until I came across a damn good deal on Tein Super Street coilovers (yeah, I'm a big advocate for Tein suspension products)
One of the popular setups for the 2001-2005 civics was Tokico HP struts (a.k.a. Tokico Blues) and a spring set that gave a moderate drop (Tein S-Techs is what I went with originally; 1.3"/1.4" drop Front/Rear)
FR strut (Passenger Side) - $152.84 shipped
FL strut (Driver side) - $147.70 shipped
Rear Strut (works on both sides) - $105.04/each
THmotorsports' website isn't playing quite nice, so I couldn't find a link to the s-techs. However, found a really good price for them ($148 shipped) at HPTautosport.com. I can't vouch for that site since I've never used them, however.

CarID (one of our site's vendors) also has some damn good pricing. Not sure about shipping costs though. I'm not sure if they do any forum-special pricing, but it wouldn't hurt to PM them and ask. Worst they can say is "sorry, we don't." They do, however, price match.
FR for $93.78
FL for $90.62
Rear for $128.90/each
Tein S-tech springs for $208

You are gonna want to invest in a camber kit, if you don't wanna spend hella money on tires. SPC has been a fan favorite of the 7thgens because they're cheap and they work amazingly. Rear camber kit consists of adjustable upper control arms and the front is a cam bolt. I never used the cam bolt so I don't know how they work. The coilovers I went with had the pillowball upper mounts, so that's how I adjusted the front camber.

Do the math to figure out how much the components would cost, toss in another $100 or so for an alignment (yes, get an alignment right after you swap them. You should get an alignment every time you separate the tie rods from the struts, really), and you got your approximate cost of lowering your car. If swapping them yourself is intimidating, spring swap is the first thing I ever did on my car, and 18-year old me had no damn idea what I was doing. I just had this forum and a "f- it, this is happening, and I'ma do it" attitude, and it worked out very well. Before that, I knew how to change oil, change a tire, and struggled changing brake pads. Do it yourself, learn some crap, save hella money. We're here to help if you need

I did purposefully provide links to THmotorsports product pages for a few reasons: free shipping for orders $100 and up, some damn good prices, and site loyalty, since they used to be a vendor on this site and they've done me very, very well over the last 15 years ordering parts.

Another side note. If you decide to search suspension components on your own, make sure you find stuff that is made for 01-02 civics only. In 2003, they changed the crash bolt size from 14mm to 16mm. That said, unless you find some adapters to make up the extra 2mm (I'm not sure if they make those or how safe they'd be), you're better off buying something designed with your car's specs.

edit: to give you an idea of what the tokico blues/s-tech combo looks like installed, here you go. Found some pics I snapped back in 2004. lol
Name:  Tfh2jqN.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  124.9 KB
Name:  gc7P9Zz.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  98.4 KB
Name:  TdEwazh.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  87.9 KB

The rear is a bit lower than it should be because back then I had a heavy *** sub box in the trunk. Thing prolly weighed about 100 pounds.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 12-10-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalodong

No Platinum?
That's what spray paint is for
Old 12-12-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Minimum you need is springs and shocks
shocks will go bad quickly with stronger springs (they need to be stronger because there will be less distance for them to stop before they hit something)

ever seen the cars going "boingo, boingo" at every bump? they are the blown shocks. Would not look too good doing the boingo, boingo.

read:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...questions.html
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

rk97 is on a distinguished road

How has no one suggested dating fat girls?
Old 12-12-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Congrats. You just made a bunch of old guys at the VA clinic stare at me like I'm crazy. Tried my hardest to stifle a laugh, but it didn't work
Old 12-13-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rk97
how has no one suggested dating fat girls?
lol!