Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

New and wanting to lower the 7th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pjsparkles is an unknown quantity at this point
New and wanting to lower the 7th Gen

Okay, so I'm a little new to the forum.. I've been reading stuff on here for awhile, but I haven't made much of an effort to post here. But, with my income tax going to be showing up in about a week now.. I'm starting to try and get as much information as possible. I have a '02 Civic EX coupe, and I really want to lower the car and begin the process of getting it modified.. My goal is to be able to show her someday. So I want to start with lowering the car, getting exhaust, intake and then get the body kit (already planning on the ViS Octane kit) anyhow.. I figured this would be the best place to ask!

I want to lower my car and do it right the first time. So, short struts, springs (or coilovers), and probably a camber kit. What would you folks out there suggest? I'm open to anything! I just really want people's opinions right now. And just for added info, I'm going to have about $950 to work with.
Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

Deejai35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the site. From what I hear, one of the best ways to lower your car is with a full coilover suspension setup. I hear Tein, B+G, mentioned a lot. Its one of the best approaches if you have the money for it. Other than that, doing it right with the springs approach would mean getting a good set of springs (there are many common opinions on this site) and a set of aftermarket struts. The only struts out for our cars right now are the Konis. I hope this helps... don't forget to search this forum in particular. While you are searching look into camber kits and check out the suspension FAQs.
Old 04-02-2003
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
well since your hoping to show your car i would say coilovers is a must. so yes right now tein ss would be your best bet. should be able to find it for like 1050 shipped. i know its $100 over your budget but should be worth it. afterall you did say you wanted to do it right the first time,
Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
I agree with VNlilMAN.. but dont forget to factor in the install cost.
Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

eXNBP is an unknown quantity at this point
For non headache I'd go with the Teins since they are full replacements besides swapping out the pillowmounts. If you want to go with aftermarket shocks I'd go with a Koni and a H&R race or Neuspeed race springs. But if you want to go threaded coilovers with aftermarket Konis you'll need an adapter which I'm too sure how much they cost. Since you might want to drop it all the way for show I'd go with the full coilovers and just get the full camber kit from SPC.
Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

NaHoOnEyYa is an unknown quantity at this point
off they subject..but hey pjsparkles...what color is u're car?? just wondering if i've seen it on the streets...^^
Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by NaHoOnEyYa
off they subject..but hey pjsparkles...what color is u're car?? just wondering if i've seen it on the streets...^^
Silver. It has titty beads in the rear view mirror, along with a VIP pass from USC6. And as far as getting Tein's.. I don't know if I really want to go with the whole coilover set up. I live in Washington, I don't need to raise and lower the car religiously. I've been doin' a little research and I think I just want to go with lowering springs that'll do at least a 2" drop, and go with some Koni Yellow short struts probably.. It's just a matter of finding lowering springs. And install charge? No need.. I know how to install stuff. I modified my previous car on my own.
Old 04-02-2003
He can only tell us white people apart by the tone of our skin.

reytito is an unknown quantity at this point
950 won't get too much unfortunately...thats the lesson i'm learning...i got my car 5 weeks ago, and i've dropped over a grand and there not THAT much to show for it. but i'm gettin there.
Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

It's an expensive process, I know. But I want to at least get started on this, it'll take several thousands of dollars to get to where I want to be.. But $950 is at least a start in the right direction, I feel.
Old 04-03-2003
I Am Legend

CGodwin3103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Get Ground Control Coilovers and the Ingalls camber kit I have heard good things about, both and work shoudl land under 950, probably even 850. Your application seems like gc would be the best, it utilizes a single perch, just jack up 1/4 of the car near the rim and unlock the perch raise/lower, and retighten the perch, simple and easy and they ride well, I dont have a camber kit but i do have gc's, they are great, hardly bounce except for the obvious unaviodable bouncing of extremely bad road, but still very good, knoi shocks gc and ingalls camber kit should run you less than about 1300 i would think, dont know how much for the koni struts, but i think the camber kit is around 3-4, that is why it should be under 950 especially if you get them done at the same time at the same place...
Old 04-03-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
Well if you look at the cost of the Teins compared to the GCs and a set of shocks your already close to what the Teins cost you. I would save upp the extra few bucks and get the TEINS, its well worth the money and youll be doing it right the first time
Old 04-03-2003
The Standard One

well she said she didnt think a coilover kit was necessary(i think it would be if its for show)..
but ya neuspeed race(2.25" drop) and konis would do just fine..
neuspeed - $140
konis - $550
rear camber kit - $125
total = $815
and this is doing it right the first time.. you want to mickey mouse, just get neuspeed race and rear camber kit.
Old 04-03-2003
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
you also have to factor in the cost of installation (if you can't do it yourself) and an alignment.
I personally would get the Teins. Just because they are coilovers doesn't mean you need to raise and lower it. You just set it and forget it.
I wouldn't buy the Koni's but that is just me. You have to modify your front strut (which makes it hard to go back to stock) and they are only inserts.
Old 04-04-2003
Registered!!

The main reason I'm leaning away from the Teins is because of this. I don't plan on ever auto crossing the car, I have no need to do a $1000 + suspension on a car that is going to be strictly for looks. Most especially when the Teins would only be the start of the suspension, that would never get used to it's max. I've been talking to several of my friends lately and I'm leaning more towards doing the springs and structs. Installation is not a problem, I do not need to take my vehicle somewhere to have everything installed. I know how to do all the work, I've modified several cars prior and have plenty of experience in it. And as I think about it more, I want at least a 2" drop.
Old 04-04-2003
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
If you can wait a few weeks (or maybe even now) the Tein Basic damper is coming out. It is a lesser version of the Tein SS. coilovers will look better behind your wheels for shows. And coilovers aren't only good at autocrossing. In fact, i want to autoX and i don't plan on getting coilovers. If you are leaning toward springs and struts then neuspeeds with some konis will do fine. Again, you WILL have to modify your front struts to get the inserts in there. And again, they are only inserts, not full shocks. I personally don't think they are worth the money.
Old 04-04-2003
The Standard One

ya i dont think koni's are worth the money either but what other choice do we have other then to wait... she wants to do it the right way and as of now, thats the cheapest way to do it the right way.