Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Rear upper tie bar is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003
no
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear upper tie bar is it worth it?

right now I have the upper/lower tie bar for the front and the lower one for the back, my question is are the rear upper tie bars worth buying? do you guys that have them really think it help you out alot on your car?
Old 03-27-2003
Registered!!

AllMotorSi is an unknown quantity at this point
What king of front lower bar do you have. I think since you have almost the complete set you might as well get the rear upper. I think you will feel a difference if you get it.
Old 03-27-2003
no
Registered!!

my front upper and lower are neuspeed and my rear lower is DCsports
Old 03-27-2003
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Well there is NO upper TIE bar. Strut bars go across the struts, so if you are asking if an upper Strut bar will make a difference, then yes it probably will. Not as much as the front but it will make some. And your rear tie bar is doing nothing but looking good without upgrading your sway bar. Tie bars just help the chassis from breaking if you upgrade your sway bar.
Old 03-27-2003
no
Registered!!

sorry I ment to say strut, as soon as I get of backorder I will be upgrading to a 22mm rear sway bar that why Im asking if the lower one all I need or if I need both of them. I am looking at the DCsports upper strut bar right now.
Old 03-27-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
does dc even make rear upper strut bars for 7thgen?
pic below.
its just generic one off ebay

Last edited by civicvtec1ps; 03-27-2003 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
heres pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc02993.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	244  
Old 03-28-2003

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I have an OBX one (which is considered generic). I don't know if anyone really makes one for our cars, DC sports definitely doesn't. I think neuspeed might but I am not sure. You will have to get an RSX one and possibly modify it. Ask Grey about rear strut bars. I think mine is fine.
If you get the 22mm progress bar, that comes with an integrated tie bar. If you get the 22mm RSX-R bar then you will need the DC rear lower tie bar. You do not NEED a rear upper strut bar if you get a lower sway and tie bar. There have been some problems with the 22mm sway bars tho.
Old 03-28-2003
Registered!!

Maverick is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree w/ Rob,rear upper tie bar not necessary w/ rear sway and tie bar, but it doesn't hurt either...help rigity and less flex.I just bought the Progress rear sway bar/lower tie combo.The biggest issue people have had with upgrading their sway bar in the rear is clearing their exhaust pipe.This can be rectified with a different rubber hanger...see your local muffler shop...they have all kinds.
Old 03-28-2003
Registered!!

ASWZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by robbclark1
You do not NEED a rear upper strut bar if you get a lower sway and tie bar.
You are talking about two different areas in the suspension. The tie-bars reinforce the links for the controls arms and the strut bar give structural integrity to the chassis of the car. Anyone remember way back when, when people were complaining about there sunroof popping up off the roof of the car and all the little indentations people where having after they lowered their car?
Our suspension sits on a bedframe like structure. You get a heavy person to jump on the bed and the frame will collaspe. Now you take that same person and put him on a bed with a solid metal frame and crossbraces and have him jump on it and the rollers only brake.
This analogy goes well with the suspensions of the unibody cars and SUVs. Why do you think that SUVs sound better when they have beat vs. our cars. The SUV sits on a solid frame and is meant to bounce around on the dirt roads. Our cars are meant to flex b/c it is safer for the human body in a accident. Our cars have crumple zones that are meant to give under great stress. I want you to sit in a stock civic with me and I will take you around some turns and then I will take you in my car. The only I have not gotten for my car are sway bars and the lower front brace. A roll cage would be nice, but the rear lower floor bar does just fine. I have mid-performance grade tires(heavily restricts what i can do in my car), Falken Zeix 502s. My car is not aligned right now after the two accidents(none of which are my fault - incase you wanted to know).
Here is another analogy. Image a suspension bridge, like the Golden Gate Bridge, and imagine if there where no cables connecting the two towers to the ground on thier respective side. The towers will cave in and snap. A strut bar prevents that from happening. One the first things race car builders do is build a frame or reinforce the frame. It saves time and money by not having to balance the car on its tires. Thats why when people look for used cars tehy get cars withtout any accidents on the title. Got to go. Laters.
Old 03-28-2003

Um ok, thanks for the clarification ASW, but I know i was talking about different parts. He said he had a rear tie bar and was planning on getting a rear sway bar, and I just told him that it is not necessary to get a sway bar if he upgrade other parts. None of the bars are necessary and you can usually upgrade one without upgrading another (except if your sway bar is too big, you will need a tie bar). That was my only point, but thanks for the layman's explanation!!
Old 03-28-2003
no
Registered!!

alright,
will after talking to everyone I decide to wait untell I get the progress 22mm rear sway bar and see if it really need a rear upper strut bar. Im pretty sure the kit come with a sway bar and a tie bar so if anyone know anyone who want to buy a DCsport lower tie bar tell me and Ill send picture.
( Im not sure if it come with one )
Old 03-29-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
Im hoping to get everything suspension upgraded, including all struts and upgraded sways...Right now i have the front upper strut, rear upper strut, and goldlines. I will be getting the rsx rear sway then the neuspeed front lower xbar and that should be fine for now..
Old 03-29-2003
no
Registered!!

I just got some neuspeed front bushing for my car this weekend, that problemly all Im going do to the front
Old 03-31-2003
Registered!!

ASWZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone upgrading there suspension bushings yet? Mine are getting loose.
Old 03-31-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Hmm... Do you think the suspension bushing for the RSX will work on our cars? I'de like to try that.

Anyway, if you get a 22mm rear sway bar (like I did) then you'll notice some extra creeks and squeeks coming from the rear when on slopes or when doing over bumps or when the rear end experiences sideways forces.

I bought and installed the Spoon Sports rear strut tower bar and it greatly decreased these noises. My car's handling was also improved. It's hard to describe, but it has less oversteer now. It's like the rear end stays planted because it like to stay flat.

Like when doing a turn while going over tiny bumps in the road. Before I got the RSTB my car would hop over them and lean sideways slightly while doing it. So it would lean, straighten out, lean, straighten out; during this I would have some oversteer.

I've done a few 180's using the e-brake with the RSTB and it's easier to get the rear end through a full turn. This is probably because it stays flat and doesn't flex and hop as much. At least this is what I see happening. It's not a dramatic difference, but it is noticeably better.