Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Goldlines and wheelgap

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blazed870 is on a distinguished road
Goldlines and wheelgap

OK I just lowered my car with goldlines and I love it, the wheelgap is even on the front and back, and the ride is still pretty smooth. Well the passenger side rear tire rubs the fender well. This was happening to me when I had the Eibach pro-kit so I got the fenders rolled. I was wondering if maybe my shock is blown. The thing is it only happens on the right passenger side, nowhere else. Can someone please help.
Old 03-13-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
it rubs with a 1.75" drop? must be a blown shock, wait what size wheels do you have?
Old 03-13-2003
Registered!!

Rider is an unknown quantity at this point
must be a blown shock IMO...

Eric
Old 03-13-2003
Registered!!

2k2civicRAY is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds like you go got a blown shock. I broke one of my rims and have the factory wheels and tires back on now and i have like a 1/4 inch gap all the way around and it doesnt rub so you must have blown the shock somehow.
Old 03-13-2003
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Blown shock won't cause your car to sit lower and it won't cause the wheel to rub the fender. Sounds to me like you need to correct the camber. Did you get camber kits? Did you have the car aligned yet? At least get an alignment and see if that takes care of it.
Old 03-13-2003
Premium Member

I have front and rear camber kits and I already got it alligned. I am really confused because the other side doesn't ever rub, just the back passenger side. I have 205/45/17 tires but I still don't see why it just on one side. How much is a factory shock?
Old 03-13-2003
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
You don't need a shock because your tire rubs the fender. You need to have your camber adjusted. If you get a new shock put in, you'll still be rubbing. Apparently whoever set your alignment didn't take the wheel/tire size into consideration or you hit a bump somewhere somehow and it knocked your alignment off.
Old 03-13-2003
Premium Member

Andyman97 thanks for clearing that up for me, but now I have another question, how much camber can I have on my tires before it really effects tirewear? The whole thing seems wierd to me because it happened before on the same exact tire.
Old 03-13-2003
Turbo Guru

Well if your having these kinds of problems you need to figure out what the problem is. Figure out if it is in fact the tire hitting the fender. If it is, you know it's a camber issue. I couldn't tell you how much to have it adjusted because it isn't something you can measure with your eye. You have to have a specific piece of equipment for that. Take it to the alignment shop. Tell them your tire is rubbing and that you need camber for that wheel adjusted so that it won't rub anymore. Problem fixed, hopefully.
Old 03-14-2003
Premium Member

Thanks alot Andyman, the only thing is I just got it aligned. They have all 4 of my wheels almost perfectly straight, so should I take them back in and tell them to adjust the back so that the top of the tires are pointed in a little?
Old 03-14-2003
Registered!!

zzzzzzzzzv is an unknown quantity at this point
you have the same setup as me. if you got your car aligned already, your camber should be even on both sides. however, you do not want perfectly straight tires in the back. a -0.5 to -1.0 camber for the rear is optimal for handling and it solves the fender issue. you must realize that just beacause you have negative camber, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be stuck with uneven tirewear. if you goto the alignment shop, they will tell you that a toe adjustment can offset the negative camber. a camber kit is necessary when the camber is far greater than what a simple toe adjustment can fix.

my buddy tofoo4life and i got our goldlines installed 2 months ago. not long after, he accidently backed up onto a curb (maybe at like 3 mph). his car sags on the rear right like yours. his camber in the back is 0.

i suggest you look at your rear wheels and see if they are symmetrical. i really doubt you have a camber problem tho. when took my car to get aligned. my rear was -5/8 and -2, no rubbing, but it was asymmetrical.

Old 03-16-2003
Premium Member

zzzzzzzzv thanks for the info, I will go and have my car aligned with a slight negative camber in the rear.