Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

I HATE my suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
I HATE my suspension!

Ok, here's the situation, It's officially official that I despise the suspension in our civics. I used to own at 1992 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28. Anyways, What suspension upgrades can I do to make my civic handle like my camaro did? I could take curves rated at 45mph at 120mph in my Camaro. When I take those same curves now, the whole body of my car sways so much that it's impossible to take them anymore than the rated 45mph.. Plus having all the body sway makes it a PITA to shift, espeically 1st to 2nd.. I already have a strut tower brace and a rear sway bar.. and yes, I've done a search and all I see are things about the braces and the sway bar.. there's gotta be something else?
Old 12-24-2002
Registered!!

eXNBP is an unknown quantity at this point
The car is pulling as opposed to pushing. Not much more you can do to make your car handle like an F-body[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]

RWD>FWD[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-24-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
You will never get your Civic to handle like your Camaro. Its like comparing Apples to Oranges. Your Camaro was alot wider stance and was longer as well, so with those you could drive them like that and they would corner well. but the Civic's are higher shorter and not as wide so it will never be the same. You can reduce the body roll and flex of the car by doing the suspension upgrades.
Old 12-24-2002
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
what kind of strut and what kind of sway bar?
have you ever thought of lowering it. thats going to change the handling alot... your adding stiffer springs and also lowering the center of gravity... thats the first thing i would do. and if you havnt already get some thinner tires... you'll see much bigger differences with these two things then with any other thing IMO
Old 12-24-2002
no
Registered!!

no is an unknown quantity at this point
hey
you can buy struts, sway bar, lower it but they are right it will never handle like your camaro
Old 12-24-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Do some real upgrades. The first thing would be bigger and better tires. Strut bars are trimming. Get springs and shocks and go to bigger sway bars.

I have a Firebird Formula and an 01 Civic, and except for the lack of power, I like to drive the Civic better. When I get in the Firebird I feel like I'm driving a tank.
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

ASWZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, our cars can handle. Our suspension is the same setup as a BWM(Mcpherson front - upper and lower control arm rear). The previous civics handled better with cheaper type mods and our car needs more than cheap mods. Have you ever taken a loop off ramp at 70 mph(rated 25mph)? I have in a 98 civic with tokico blues, weapon-R circuit pros, strut bars and tie bars all around? I wonder if he had upgraded sways. I think not because I do not recall asking him b/c he told me they were stock. Damn inspections. They take about 5 minutes, but are a hassle.
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

BMW's may have McPherson struts but then again they are RWD also, not FWD like our Civic's Not a good analogy there bud[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, well what about the mistusbishi eclipse? Those cars are FWD.. a couple of my friends all have one and their cars always seemed to handle just like my camaro, if not.. it was better..

EDIT: Just got to thinking... Eclipse, Talon, Celica, Prelude, MR2, Dodge Daytona R/T, they're all FWD and they seem to handle pretty nice...
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

MR2 is mid engine rear wheel drive, but anyways you are comparing an economy car to entry level sports cars handling. It's no competition dood[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-25-2002
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Yeah I agree with eXNBP. Those are sports car and you cant compare those to a civic!! Compare it with a corolla or sentra or something. Not eclipse and camaros and can those sports car handle good gas mileage? try to compare that[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-25-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
[hr]Originally posted by: darklegacy540
Hmmm, well what about the mistusbishi eclipse? Those cars are FWD.. a couple of my friends all have one and their cars always seemed to handle just like my camaro, if not.. it was better..

EDIT: Just got to thinking... Eclipse, Talon, Celica, Prelude, MR2, Dodge Daytona R/T, they're all FWD and they seem to handle pretty nice...[hr]
Seems like you're just hating on the civic and not really doing anything else. I'm going to lock this thread because you seem to want flames to erupt. If you have a legitimate question, then please post another thread and phrase this topic a little differently.