Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Drop Measurement Inconsistencies

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AznHalfy is an unknown quantity at this point
Drop Measurement Inconsistencies

Hey guys ... I am pretty new at this ... just got a '02 civic si and was thinking of lowering it in the spring (winter here in Canada) But I am getting confused ... I think I will go with the KYB AGX struts ... but the springs are messing me up ... I am not sure what to go with Neuspeed Sport, Eibach Sport, or HnR Stage 2. The reason why I am confused is the measurements that it says each spring drops is really inconsistent ... even on the manufacturers web page.
For instance, the Eibach sport kit it says here (http://www.eibach.com/index1.htm) that it drops 1.4in(front) and 1.4in(back) under the applications guide but here in the performance suspension<click>sportline kit(usa) part it says that the sport kit gets a 1.75" to 2.25". Ok that is way too much drop for my tastes.

I would be satisfied with a spring drop of about 1.5". Do you guys know of any springs that would do that for me. The one thing is I don't want to be rubbing (max rim size would be 17"X7" but will prolly keep stock rims for next spring) and I dont race ... just looking for a nice dropped look. Hope you guys can help me out.

Also, are KYB AGX struts ok to fit on my model? Every speed shop is telling me that those are the ones to get ... but I dont trust them ... please let me know.

L8tr
Old 11-06-2002
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
you sound new to all this so please read the suspension faq

and disregard what the website says. eibach sportlines, neuspeed sports and goldlines all have a relative 1.75" drop. what do i recommend, always neuspeeds. they are about $140. dont worry you wont have any problems with rubbing or anything. its not really going to give you a dropped look tho, you'll know that your car is dropped but majority of the people wont know your car is dropped. if you want people to know your car is dropped, you should get atleast a 2" drop. but ya a 1.75" drop is fine for most people.

as for shocks, you can forget about kyb or tokicos cause the only option you have is koni yellow inserts which run about $550.

oh and look at my pics below. a couple are with 215-40-18 tires which gave me a 1 finger gap all around and the last two are stock LX tires which gave me a 1 1/2 finger gap all around. doesnt sound like much but in person 1 finger gap is alot.
Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

ok cool what do you mean forget about KYB or Tokico ... Why are koni yellow inserts the only way to go ??? Please explain ... so when I tell the shop guys why I want that ... they dont think I am a tard. Thanks
L8tr
Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

Chapobapo is an unknown quantity at this point
its the only ones made for our cars
Old 11-06-2002
The Standard One

ya sorry should have explained better. tokicos wont be out for awhile. last time i called they said it wont be out till atleast early next year. i'm expecting it in the middle of next year. KYB i have no idea when they come out. but ya only shocks available are koni yellows
Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

Ok ... but all the speed shops are telling me to put on KYB AGX struts on my car ... they say it will fit fine ... what would I say to them (??? they dont know ****) or what ?
L8tr
Old 11-06-2002
The Standard One

eh, they probably dont know **** and just assume they're out. i just checked with their website and it some nothing is out for our cars. i also e-mailed them asking when they were going to be out to confirm.
Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

Ok so if I was looking to get the Koni's ... are they the Koni Yellows that everyone keeps talking about ??? I believe you said that the Koni's aren't a full strut ... but attach to the factory struts ... would the Koni Yellow's fit my car (02 civic si) or not. I got them priced at about $200 Cdn a corner. Let me know
L8tr
Old 11-06-2002
The Standard One

ya they are the koni yellow everyone is talking about. they're basically the top of the line and cost 550 for all 4. not sure how much 200 CAN is in US, is it $150? if so thats a good price.
and yes they are inserts, well the fronts are. the rears are straight replacments. so for the front, you would have to cut it up(the stock struts) in order to put the konis on your car.
and not sure if you know 02 SI in canada is the same as the 02 EX here in the states. so yes they will fit if you get the right application
Old 11-08-2002
Registered!!

i was wondering vnlilman, is it bad to cut the struts? is it dangerous in anyway? can it mess anything up? and can it... yeah, i think thats it...
Old 11-08-2002
Registered!!

From what I gather Chapobapo ... it isnt a really big job that is out of the ordinary ... They are done regularly with VW's I heard. Also they cut the top to take the inside of the factory components out and replace it with the much better Koni Insert. They only keep the housing of the original strut because some metal bar is either attached or something. I think it is cheaper for Koni to just make an insert so that is why they do it. But a decent speed shop that knows what there doing should say its a relatively easy job.
L8tr
Old 11-08-2002
The Standard One

i see your learning..
but ya cutting them up to put konis in is not badd at all. its good.
can it mess anything up... not unless if its not installed properly but thats how it is with most things
Old 11-08-2002
Registered!!

oh that reminds me... maybe you guys can help me out, my friend has skunk 2 coilovers and he wanted to drop the front a lil more... we jacked it up and noticed a cup like object that sits right above the coilover.... thing is, this cup was just dangling around, it didnt connect to anything or slip into anything, it actually kinda looked like it didnt even need to be there. my friend said that he occassionally hears clanking, so he tried clanking the cup around and said that was the sound... so whats up? does he need it?
Old 11-08-2002
The Standard One

it was just dangling? can you take a picture of it?
Old 11-08-2002
Registered!!

ill try... but you can prob see it on your car if you jack it up... its sits right ontop of your springs... its a black plate/cup like shape with rubber on the underside of it...
PS: is 365 for skunk 2 coilovers installed a good price? i got that quote from Island Motorsport... ive heard and seen their company around shows and stuff but how are their installations? anybody know/had experience with them?
Old 11-08-2002
The Standard One

its dangling? i'm not sure if you need it with sleeved coilovers but i know you need it when you have springs... and 365 installed is not a badd price seeing how skunk2s go for around $300. installation is usualy 80-120