Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Full suspension rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dbkben is an unknown quantity at this point
Full suspension rebuild questions

I have a 2001 EM2 auto. Im looking to do a full overhaul on my suspension and replace as much as possible before I put my new wheels and tires on. I've already done the rack and pinion as well as inner and outer tie rods. No huge issues currently, just pretty bumpy, lots of clunking especially over bumpy roads which unfortunately is all the roads where I live. I want to fully replace as much of the rear and front suspension as possible but the front end is my priority. Not really trying to build a race car, just want something thats enjoyable and comfortable to daily and increase handling, especially through turns, as much as possible. Currently wanting to do the Godspeed mono rs coilovers (since the truharts are indefinitely out of stock) but i was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction as to where to start and list some or all things to replace as far as suspension goes. Also, if anyone else has found other fixes for the "honda clunks" id appreciate it as well! Thanks
Old 01-28-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Full suspension rebuild questions

Check your control arms
The following users liked this post:
dbkben (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,202 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

any coilovers below 800 are a waste of money.
replacement shocks, control arms bushings (front arms, simply get new arms, they are around 100 bucks), check top hats, antiroll bar endlinks, , pry around to see where there is too much play.
dbkben (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
any coilovers below 800 are a waste of money.
Tein now offers sub-800 ones. Their modern versions of the Tein Basics are, I think, sub 700. I think the modern versions of the Super Streets are just sub 800
dbkben (01-28-2022)
Old 01-29-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,202 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I forgot the prices for 7th Gen have dropped (they got all the moneys from them by now ) - for the parts maker that are left, anyway
Tein is a maker that can be trusted.
Old 08-17-2022
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That7thGenGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not intended to thread jack here. I need to do the same thing to my ES1 and I'm exhausted from trying to figure out what I need in coilovers. I just got don looking at Tein but it appears they are all special made to order now... :/ Can't be as simple as a part number. Guess I'll be on the phone with Tein tomorrow. I'm about ready to ditch this car for something I can actually play with.
Old 08-17-2022
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by That7thGenGuy
Not intended to thread jack here. I need to do the same thing to my ES1 and I'm exhausted from trying to figure out what I need in coilovers. I just got don looking at Tein but it appears they are all special made to order now... :/ Can't be as simple as a part number. Guess I'll be on the phone with Tein tomorrow. I'm about ready to ditch this car for something I can actually play with.
https://www.carid.com/tein/0-7-3-1-x...360&url=952041
$817 for the street advance z
$712 for the street basis z if you don't care for adjustable dampering
$1159 for the flex z for better build quality and included top mounts with built in camber plates (when I ran my tein super streets, these were a $200 add on, and I def spent $1250 on the set, and that was a damn good deal in 2005)
That7thGenGuy (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,311 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I have the street advance z and have no complaints.
Old 08-17-2022
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That7thGenGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
https://www.carid.com/tein/0-7-3-1-x...360&url=952041
$817 for the street advance z
$712 for the street basis z if you don't care for adjustable dampering
$1159 for the flex z for better build quality and included top mounts with built in camber plates (when I ran my tein super streets, these were a $200 add on, and I def spent $1250 on the set, and that was a damn good deal in 2005)

Thank you for saving my bacon. I try not to throw tools when I get frustrated, really I do...