Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Decent 1" or so lowering springs on eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019
I thought it said HYUNDAI.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wakko is an unknown quantity at this point
Decent 1" or so lowering springs on eBay?

My GF and I bought her son an '01 EX coupe a couple of years ago and it came lowered already and with 17" wheels. Car looks great, but now that he's in college, he needs it to be a bit higher, but not stock height. I do not know the brand of the current springs, only that they're red. He's off at college, so I'm going to do the swap for him and then bring him the car. The original plan was to simply cut a coil off of OE springs and roll with it. (I'm old school, but back in the day we used to cut coils off our stock springs on our big American cars to drop them all the time, with zero ill effects). Considering how inexpensive I've seen some of the springs on eBay, I'm thinking that may be a safer route for uniformity and overall ride quality. Is there a brand or style that would fit the bill? I've seen the adjustable ones on there, but don't know if that's a lousy option or not.

I did a search in this forum, but didn't find exactly what I was looking to have answered. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-09-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Decent 1" or so lowering springs on eBay?

Cut springs on the 7thgen civics almost invariably resulted in ill effects. Please don't do that. Since the springs are red, there's a chance they're Eibach Sportline springs with a modest 1.4" drop all around. There's also a chance they're Skunk2 springs with a more aggressive 2.0/2.25" F/R drop. If you could post pictures of what that drop looks like with those 17's we could probably tell you what the drop is. If it is, indeed, the 1.4" drop and needs it higher, then you have basically 2 options since almost every other spring set out there will lower at about that height or mroe. First option: Tein H-tech springs. 0.7/0.8" F/R drop, but they typically run in the $175-200 range. Second option: go back to OEM height.

If it's lowered with the 2/2.25" springs, plenty of options out there. Tein, Eibach Sportline, H&R, all good options.

Adjustable height coilovers tend to be expensive, but they're usually married to the strut to which they're attached. I'm a big fan of Tein suspension components. Had a set of Tein Super Street coilovers (ran me 1250 with a good deal back in 2004, now replaced with their Street Advance line) and had them until I donated the car in 2017. Alternatively, ground control coilover sleeves are a cheaper, quality alternative. They slip over whatever struts you wish and basically just adjust the spring perch on said struts.

If you're shopping eBay, shop skeptically. There's a lot of knockoffs out there, and suspension is one of the few things I wouldn't cheap out on too badly.