Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

differential specs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glamabilly is an unknown quantity at this point
differential specs?

So, I'm taking a long shot here, but here it goes. I have a transmission from a D17A2, bolted to a D17a engine from Japan. It works great. Last April I ordered a OBX LDS for the transmission, I should have ordered a M Factory one, but I was feeling cheap. Anyway, the diff lasted a week. Almost every gear inside had chipped teeth, so much metal came off it that it destroyed the Diff support bearings. I took the LSD out and put the stock one back in with new bearings. But I still want a LSD in my car. I have the facilities to do some complicated machining, so I was thinking about getting a Quaife LSD for a EP3 or an RSX, and just making it fit, they don't make one for the EM2. I'm not going to go into this blind, so does anyone have a extra stock differential that came out of a K series transmission, or a B series? I'm looking for some really precise measurements to be taken from either one, just to see if I can make it work. I'm willing to buy one cheap if anyone has one but doesn't have the tools to measure it.
Old 12-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: differential specs?

that's... a tough job to do.
Well, we know you do some hardcore stuff, so won't butt in.

good luck!

if you have trouble finding one, there's always car-part.com site
Old 12-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glamabilly is an unknown quantity at this point

So after a bunch or reashearch, I have found that quaife makes a lsd or the fit/jazz, Obx shows they have one for the 01-05 em2 that is also supposed to fit the 05-07 fit, that’s the one I bought in the first place. So I’m assuming a quaife one for a fit/jazz will fit the em2. MFactory shows the d17 and fit/jazz lsd’s as different units. Quaife gives dimensions for the fit one, and every other one they manufacture, I’m just in need of an em2 one now for measurements.
Ive been burnt on the OBX lsd, I’m not making that mistake again, it really is junk. I know quaife is a reputable brand, but I have no experience with the MFactory, so I’m a little hesitant to go that rout.
Old 12-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

I recently bought a D16 lsd block for 20 bucks on ebay.
I figured i would save 1000 bucks....
anyways, the block does not fit, but you can make it work.
The two larger gears within the diff need to be milled down a bit to make room and the LSD block needed to be drilled out just a bit so the center diff pin could go in.
Now....i have not tried this out yet because i'm doing winter maintenance on the engine. I should have it all back together after the first of the year.
Old 12-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

d16 lsd. the two gears shown needed to be milled down a bit