Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Energy Suspension poly bushings vs OEM rubber

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dookietwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Energy Suspension poly bushings vs OEM rubber

Hi! its late and i'm tired so this might not make too much sense.

I have a 2004 Civic coupe ex auto. It has about 125k miles. Its time for me to replace my suspension bushings. I recently purchased Koni Str.t Shocks (orange) and after inspecting the suspension components I've noticed that most of the bushings are torn/damaged. (I also know that the driver side motor mount, near the power steering...thing is torn; resovior? *this causes a very annoying squeaking/scraping sound) Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has used Energy Suspension's polyurethane bushings on their car. I have read from my google research that they are stiffer than rubber and therefore flex less causing the ride to be a bit rougher but last much longer.

My question is how much rougher is the ride? I know that is a bit of a dumb question because everything is arbitrary. This is my daily. My only car. With the Koni Str.t and these Energy suspension bushings I'm concerned with the ride quality. I have bad posture and lean forward too much. My spine/bone structure is a bit off balance but I still love to drive enthusiasticly. I guess the best way to answer my question would be to use analogies or to compare with other cars. Thanks! any info input will be appreciated. TAke care of your cars.

-DOOOKIEE2
Old 06-19-2013
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough
Re: Energy Suspension poly bushings vs OEM rubber

I have the es bushings installed on my sedan. I have tokico blues and neuspeed sport springs with a rsx-s rear sway and my car is awesome in the corners. I also have the es motor mount inserts, but only have the front one installed because there has been alotta neg reviews when both are installed. There is a bot of vibes when idling because of the insert. Nothing I would complain about though. Install poly anything. It lasts longer, tightens everything up, and really isn't an expensive mod if you can do it yourself
Old 06-19-2013
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road

Poly bushings are great. Really stiffen everything up. The downside is they tend to increase vibrations, although mostly while idling. They really wont worse the ride quality. And you say you have Koni STR.Ts.....is this still with stock springs? If so, you will be completely fine.
Old 06-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

I would go rubber for the engine mounts unless you want to feel it. I put the ES front control arm bushing in a couple months ago. The feel is great they squeaked so bad I honestly regretted installing them about a month ago. I was able to drill the control arms and put some grease zerks in them without removal. Moral of the story is Drill them for zerks while you are there. The bushings are great the noise was terrible. I put the black ones in because they are supposed to be graphite impregnated and have less noise, not seeing that one. As I said, the bushing feel is great, but drill the arms while they are out. AND before anyone says so I liberally used the grease in the kit, still noisy. They move different than the OEMs... Also The rear ones aren't the issue. The big front mounts the pancake looking ones are easy to replace, the rears are a pain in the butt. If yours are good, don't mess with em IMO...
Old 06-22-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had the front LCA bushings for a month or two now and still now squeaking. Can't really tell the difference in handling though. I got the red ones BTW.
Old 06-22-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If these were not $300 I would give them a try:

http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-F...P2134C326.aspx

Aluminum and steel bearing LCA bushings.

You could always do the DIY LCA bushing procedure also
Old 06-22-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

300 dollars for 4 bushings? Another reason not to buy from password jdm. As awesome as their stuff is that's ridiculous.
Old 06-23-2013
Registered!!

Ghost Rider is on a distinguished road

OP

if you're still interested in energy suspension bushings

I have a new set, less the motor mounts...

Bought them for my kid's car as a surprise, but he's turned stupid and won't be getting them

Here's the link - and like I said its a complete set - but without the motor mounts

Still in the box they were shipped in, unopened

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...PackageDeal002

If interested let me know

Ghost
Old 10-28-2013
Registered!!

Bryce_k is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a lower control arm energy suspension kit. This included the front lcas and sway bar bushings + rear Lca bushings (3/side) and rear sway bar. I have not installed the rear as it seemed like to much effort for the time being I will do it when I go to do rear brakes. I also replace frot ball joints and sway bar links. Things are definetly stiffer but I am nt sure if it was just the ball joints or a combination of both. Installing Lca bushings goes as follows.
Remove sway bar link from Lca
Remove bolt from ball joint.
Seperste Lca from ball joint with a large ball joit fork.
Remove wheel bearing nut an slide cv axel out.
Loosen two 19mm bolts so wheel hub can pivot.
No need to take calipers/pads etc off
Use ball joint remover to remove ball joints if you are replacing them.
Remove two Lca bolts and slide it out
The big UFO looking joint I used a ball joint kit to push it out.
The back one I heated up and pushed out the rubber. Then from inside used sawzall to it the thin metal then a chisel to hammer it out.
When putting in new energy bushings make sure you lube the f out of it with supplied grease. Use it all. I didn't and it squeaked so I had to re do it all.
Reinstall