Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Rear Sway bar causing uneven wheel gap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough
Rear Sway bar causing uneven wheel gap?

So I have lowered my car using lowering springs (neuspeed) and the passenger rear was 1" higher that the driver side (wheel gap) I had the SAME issue before I put in my new setup. I also had the same issue when I was dropped on coils but could compensate for it.

I disconnected the passenger side of the sway bar (19mm RSX) and the bounced the back a bit and it evened out....

How can I fix this so I can also run the sway bar! I have brand new stock endlinks.... any insight would be great.
Old 04-19-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear Sway bar causing uneven wheel gap?

Not sure what the problem would be.
I have the same 19mm sway bar and don't have that issue dropped on s techs.
Old 04-19-2013
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

Everything is brand new, springs struts and all. It was the same issue with my stock struts... the more and more I think about it its been since I upgraded the rear sway....

Old 04-19-2013
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

That is really a bizarre issue. I can't think of how that could effect the stance in the rear... The sway bar should twist under the weight and sit quite evenly.

Maybe you just coincidentally got a set of uneven coilovers and uneven lowering springs, lol
Old 04-19-2013
CO&CA

I know that's not the issue as when the sway is disconnected it sits fine... grrrr

I have traditionally tightened the sway prior to lowering the cars weight on the suspension... I have been reading about that causing preload on the sway bar, causing pulling to one side. Anyone have any input on this? is it true?
Old 04-19-2013

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Now that you mention it, I think mine was uneven when I had it installed too. My passenger side coilover is much further down than the driver's side, lol
Old 04-19-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I looked at mine too and the passenger side is higher also. Ill have to check again on ground I know is level.
Old 04-19-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure...
But the sway bar should be able to move around, if only a little.

But now that you mention that...
I did lower before putting the sway bar on....
Old 04-20-2013
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough

Maybe your away bar is bent or the bushings shot
Old 04-21-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

drive around a bit, drive like you're testing the suspension.. lol..

Just on the off chance that it "settles out"
Old 04-21-2013

maybe it's bent, I dunno

You should take a picture of the sway bar and how the rear sits, that might help us out
Old 04-21-2013
CO&CA

bushings are brand new (prothane). Sway bar is not bent. One thing I have not done is install it while the suspension was compressed. Im getting an alignment now and will install it within the next week or so... just irritating...
Old 04-21-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

grease well the bushings?
check the mounting points?
put the sway on even ground and check if twisted?
Old 04-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

doesn't the rsx weigh alot more then the civic couple that with a bent bar and not *torquing down the rears while under load ???
Old 04-29-2013
CO&CA

It was the sway bar causing my uneven gap... I removed and re-installed the bar after a week of driving with it off. I noticed a HUGE difference without it, and hated it by the way.

Car sit even without it and sits even now with it. I installed it under load which made the difference... who would have thought!
Old 06-01-2013
Registered!!

Besimple1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TFMEX
It was the sway bar causing my uneven gap... I removed and re-installed the bar after a week of driving with it off. I noticed a HUGE difference without it, and hated it by the way.

Car sit even without it and sits even now with it. I installed it under load which made the difference... who would have thought!
I actually might have the same problem. Was your sway bar factory or aftermarket? I just put new springs and shocks on my car and changed one of the bolts and my drivers side sway bar. It sits an inch lower than my passenger side. What exactly did you do to fix yours? I might be trying it. Thanks!