Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

GC/yellow. bottoming out.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
samgodbout is an unknown quantity at this point
GC/yellow. bottoming out.

Hi !

I have a few new set of Ground control on my koni yellow ! I have a EM2 2005.

In the GC kit, the bumpstop for the front shock came in the kit. I instal all of this and I botom out in the front a lot time with only a little hole on the road.

In 2 milles, I can hit the front bumpstop 5-6 times. My car is juste dropped between 2 or 2.5 inch.. My back is more dropped and doesn't hit the bumpstop.

Do you know if extended top hat exist for macferson strut ? Does I really need to raise my car ? Because with my eibach sportline, it was pratically the same height and that never hits bumpstop with my sportline.

The front bumpstop which came in the GC kit was already cut.

Thank you for your help !
Old 04-03-2013
Registered!!

Re: GC/yellow. bottoming out.

UP ! I search everywhere on the web and i can't fin extended top plate for macferson. I have stil 1 inch and half on my front sleeve but I can't go lower just because I hit the bumpstop !!! I need more travel.
Old 04-04-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

take a picture of your setup. do you have the stock top-hat on there?

i have yellows/GC and i never bottom out. and i am slammed.
Old 04-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

did you cut remove the stock lower spring perch ???
Old 04-04-2013
Registered!!

sl33pyriceboi, I will post a picture saturday !! to give you an idea : I have 195/55/r15 tire and put 2 finger between the tire and fender in the front.

In the rear I put 0 finger, the rear is at the same height that the fender.

And yes I have the stock top hats !

One thing, I switch the rear spring in the front and the front spring in the rear.

Normally it's 425k for the rear spring and 375k for the front spring. Now, I have the opposite, but that change nothing of the shock bottom or not bottom out because rear spring are more hard.

Lowlife9, spring perch is the place where the spring seat ? If it's that, no I didn't cut it !

When I put the front sleeve at the more low, the bumpstop directly seat on the rubber bumstop, I have NO travel. All the chrome cylinder is enter in the koni shock !

The bumpstop which came with the GC was more little than my OEM bumpstop cut in half, so the bumpstop are not too big.

Last edited by samgodbout; 04-04-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

? fronts are supposed to have more travel than rears?
and wait, did you put front springs in the rear? don't. FWD needs stiffer asses.
Old 04-05-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
? fronts are supposed to have more travel than rears?
and wait, did you put front springs in the rear? don't. FWD needs stiffer asses.
I know that I need stiffer ***, but I drive my car really slow and the ride is really ok ! The rear spring was 1 inch more little and i wanted drop my car more in the front, but I can't because I don't have travel -__-. i really don't know what doing. That cost me a lot money to have the best setup and I can't do what I want with this setup.

I find that really strange that I have only the front which bottom out !
Old 04-06-2013
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

wait you said you switched the fronts with the rear springs ???
Old 04-07-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
wait you said you switched the fronts with the rear springs ???
yes !

normally : 425 for the rear and 375 for the front.

Me : 425 stiff for the front and 375 stiff for the rear.

you think that can me bottom out just switch the spring ?
Old 04-08-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

waiting for pics - hard to tell.
and the bumpstops are 1/2 the length of the stock ones, I would assume there would still be travel left.
course, the shorter spring could be a factor - was it bottoming before you swapped springs? however I would think the higher rates would keep the car slightly less deformation, but not sure of the suspension geometry ratio acting - aka, leverage effect from hub to shock attachment points - fronts are direct above, rears have a slight distance from the wheel, so there's a leverage effect there.
Old 04-09-2013
Registered!!

This is a picture.

And I doesn't try to put the good spring at there right place because I wanted slammed more the front of the car.

Thre rear is at the most lower. In the front, I have stil 1 inch and half on the sleeve, but it bottom out everytime at this height...

sunday, I just decided top remove my front GC and put my eibach sportline ! I am just 1/8 inch more high.... and I never never bottom out.

Last edited by samgodbout; 04-09-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

erm... we were waiting for the pictures of the assembly of the suspension...
Old 04-15-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
take a picture of your setup. do you have the stock top-hat on there?

i have yellows/GC and i never bottom out. and i am slammed.
Do you know what is your spring rate ?

Because I think that 375 it's too a low rate to slammed the car.

sdaidoji, sorry I don't have pict of the setup ! But all the pieces was in the good order !

when I will have a little bit time, I will put the good spring at their right place. I don't think that will make a diference.. but I will try

now i'm on my sportline
Old 04-16-2013
Registered!!

i have 350 front 650 rear sring rate but from a different company.
Old 04-16-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

It was either 375front and 475 rear

Or

475front 575 rear

But I know my spring rate is higher in the rear by 100.

I'll re read the thread later. I have a few hypothesis of what else could bt the issue