Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Coilover sag?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hagmil777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Coilover sag?

I'm leaning towards adjustable coilovers for my 02 lx to avoid an uneven drop but my mechanic advised against these because he said that since their height is adjustable they are prone to sagging over time compared to fixed height setups. Is this legit? If so is this a pretty negligible issue? From the reading that I've been doing on here I haven't seen any mention of this yet.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Coilover sag?

your mechanic told you that lol how can it be uneven if there fully adjustable. just don't buy cheap **** and you'll be just fine.

Last edited by lowlife9; 10-15-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

your mechanic is an idiot.
Old 10-16-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if they sag, you can compensate with an adjustable height
Old 10-16-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

i hear rokkors are pretty amazingly cheap.
Old 10-16-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

That's total baloney.
Coilovers are fully adjustable so any amount of sag can be accommodated.
As long as you don't buy cheap junk coilovers, you should be perfectly fine.
Old 10-16-2012
Registered!!

Yeah I guess if it was an issue I would have heard about it by now. For a guy who is good with his hands but no experience in messing with suspension what kind of setup do yall recommend, full coilover or get separate parts? I don't know if I want to take my car to this guy lol
Old 10-16-2012

Originally Posted by hagmil777
Yeah I guess if it was an issue I would have heard about it by now. For a guy who is good with his hands but no experience in messing with suspension what kind of setup do yall recommend, full coilover or get separate parts? I don't know if I want to take my car to this guy lol
coilovers are normally always recommended over a spring/strut setup for a few reasons:

1. they can be adjusted up and down as your hearts desire.
2. the valving of the dampening tube (basically the strut of the coilover) is valved/calibrated for the weight of your car and the spring rate that is being used (most people overlook this, and yet ask any suspension/race engineer and they will tell you this is very very important)
3.coilovers are usually a bit more compact and lighter than a spring/strut combo (due to smaller spring, no need for big spring perch)

there is a downside to coilovers tho... and its the price. for a good coilover, you are going to spend about $1000 (possible to spend a tad less on a used set or even tein basis are pretty good bang for the buck).

if you spend money on a spring/strut combo, you are going to get close to $800 anyways, so might as well do yourself a favor and save an extra hundred and get coilovers.

we also dont recommend you JUST getting springs because they will blow out your stock strut rather quickly.... PLUS, your stock strut isnt valved for the increased spring rate of aftermarket springs and how the spring will seat the strut piston lower)
Old 10-16-2012

WE DO NOT RECOMMEND CHEAP COILOVERS..AKA EBAY CRAP...AKA ROKKOR/RACELAND.

read post #17 and on

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...ml#post4619782
Old 10-16-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

I had the same debate only a few months ago:
Springs vs. Coilovers

The answer was obvious after a week of steady research. Coilovers are the way to go. Even though they cost more, the price is well worth it. Coilovers allow you to adjust to any height and any stiffness (if you buy adjustable damping coilovers that is). The changing ride height is perfect for winter driving and during the summer you can ride as low as you please.

Coilovers are also lighter, look nicer, and are much easier to install than a spring/strut combo. You won't have to use a fancy spring compressor to get them in safely.And a good set of coilovers is worht a decent amount of street cred too, so in all consideration, this should be your only option.

Coilovers!
Old 10-17-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
coilovers are normally always recommended over a spring/strut setup for a few reasons:

1. they can be adjusted up and down as your hearts desire.
2. the valving of the dampening tube (basically the strut of the coilover) is valved/calibrated for the weight of your car and the spring rate that is being used (most people overlook this, and yet ask any suspension/race engineer and they will tell you this is very very important)
3.coilovers are usually a bit more compact and lighter than a spring/strut combo (due to smaller spring, no need for big spring perch)

there is a downside to coilovers tho... and its the price. for a good coilover, you are going to spend about $1000 (possible to spend a tad less on a used set or even tein basis are pretty good bang for the buck).

if you spend money on a spring/strut combo, you are going to get close to $800 anyways, so might as well do yourself a favor and save an extra hundred and get coilovers.

we also dont recommend you JUST getting springs because they will blow out your stock strut rather quickly.... PLUS, your stock strut isnt valved for the increased spring rate of aftermarket springs and how the spring will seat the strut piston lower)
Thanks this was very helpful, coilovers it is.
Old 10-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
I had the same debate only a few months ago:
Springs vs. Coilovers

The answer was obvious after a week of steady research. Coilovers are the way to go. Even though they cost more, the price is well worth it. Coilovers allow you to adjust to any height and any stiffness (if you buy adjustable damping coilovers that is). The changing ride height is perfect for winter driving and during the summer you can ride as low as you please.

Coilovers are also lighter, look nicer, and are much easier to install than a spring/strut combo. You won't have to use a fancy spring compressor to get them in safely.And a good set of coilovers is worht a decent amount of street cred too, so in all consideration, this should be your only option.

Coilovers!
not all coilovers come assembled and pre-loaded progress for example require the use of the stock top hats so a spring compresser comes in handy but its not necessary with some muscle.