Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Strut hitting hood? pics inside...help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tdawg50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Strut hitting hood? pics inside...help needed

Hey everyone,

I've been hanging around here for a while...not really posting...but taking advice from everyone on their cars. Now I have an issue that I really need help with. In the last 6 months I have replaced my struts with tokico d-spec struts on all 4 corners along with eibach pro-kit springs. Since that time there has been an unexplained rattling coming from my passenger side strut area. I have been looking and looking and haven't been able to figure out what it is. Well it was staring me right in the freaking face. The strut is actually hitting my hood!! In the pics below, there is a huge indentation where the strut has been slamming into my hood. I was wondering if anyone who has d-specs has had this issue?? Can anyone recommend how i should take care of this? Is this a strut issue or should I be ok just cutting a hole in the support bar? Also, the passenger side strut is leaning in to the right. THe mount is brand new and this has just been slowly getting worse. If anyone wants to shoot some ideas my way...it would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8019.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	83691   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8020.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	83692   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8017.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	83693  
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Strut hitting hood? pics inside...help needed

If it's only the one side I'd say you probably got a bad strut out of the package.
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

well...unfortunately it is hitting on both sides, however the driver side is less severe than the passenger side. The driver side strut is not leaning, however. This is really frustrating and I feel slightly stupid for not figuring this out sooner. What are the odds that both struts are bad? The ride feels normal to me. They don't seem blown at all or anything like that. Could the control arm be bent causing the lean? That still doesn't explain the hood banging though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8018.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	83694  
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

were did you get those mounts from ?? did you install them in the rite direction.
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

they are moog strut mounts from autopartswarehouse.com I believe. I am sure I installed them correctly
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

further thoughts on this issue?? Not trying to be a pain...I'm just trying to get this resolved ASAP before I start my new job next week. I really appreciate all the help guys!
Old 07-14-2012
Registereded!!

an00bis is an unknown quantity at this point

im not sure if these would help but
http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-B...P8354C834.aspx
Name:  8354_15.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  90.9 KB
Name:  8354_16.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  71.0 KB
Old 07-16-2012
Registered!!

those look pretty sweet man...i might have to give those a shot, but it still doesn't solve the bigger issue which is my strut leaning. I'm thinking something is obviously bent...but what?? lol. Maybe an upper control arm?
Old 07-16-2012
Registereded!!

****, beats me man haha
those should fix the hood part of the problem.
Old 07-16-2012
Registered!!

lol yeah i figured it would...but an00bis make my damn strut stop leaning!!!!!! NOW!! lol...jk man...no but really...I need someone to tell me how to fix this..haha. I've replaced everything in my front suspension except for upper CA's and ball joints. This is the weirdest thing ever.
Old 07-17-2012
Registered!!

let's get some more replies/suggestions up in here! Anybody???
Old 07-17-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by an00bis
im not sure if these would help but
http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-B...P8354C834.aspx

thats like a very ugly over priced band-aid. you can accomplish that with $2.00 dollars and a trip to the hardware store.
Old 07-17-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Ill agree with low life.. you have a bigger problem. Call the company see if they have any ideas. I havent messed with aftemarket stuff very much. But those studs on the strut look crazy long..
Old 07-17-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned an obvious solution yet...

Drill a large clearance hole at the point of contact in your hood so the top of the strut just passes through. That is, as long as you don't mind this sort of DIY that requires a bit of hacking away. I'd give you the green light, seeing as there is a hefty flange there to cut away and there's already plenty of stock holes in there for other reasons. As long as you're careful and clean, that should at least help you forget about the annoying problem for good. I'd also put some thick foam pads under the hood just in case, that way if your struts are still hitting, they won't put dents in your hood.

Just make sure you didn't get defective struts in case something might be wrong with the way they were manufactured.
Old 07-18-2012
Registereded!!

you wont see those risers near my car, i just happen to run by them right before i saw this thread
Old 07-18-2012
Registered!!

I was gonna go with the whole cutting a hole in the hood bracing....but that still won 't fix the issue of the leaning strut tower...unless it was this obstruction that caused the leaning to begin with?? I think the leaning is the bigger issue now as the other is an easy fix. I guess I could disassemble my suspension and figure out whats wrong

The issue I'm having with the leaning strut seems really bizarre. I'd be interested to know if anyone on this sit =e has ever had a similar issue. Seem's pretty rare to me though.

Last edited by tdawg50; 07-18-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2012
Registered!!

ive never seen that before only time i see that much lean is when someone uses an adjustable camber plate and is on purpose.
Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

Well....Seeing as how I own the car and to my knowledge no one has installed camber plates behind my back in the last 2 months, this was definitely not on purpose! lol
Old 07-24-2012
Registered!!

Alright Guys. The issue is getting a little worse. The strut is leaning pretty hard core to the inside and I'm really worried something is bent. Could the strut mount be bad??
Any other thoughts would be really really helpful.
Old 07-25-2012
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

Pull the damn thing out and look at it if you haven't already.... Its not normal... take a deeper dive.
Old 07-25-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Agreed, pull it out and inspect it thoroughly, then put it back.

If you can't find the problem, I think it's time to turn to the professionals. Have your car looked at by a suspension shop or even a Honda dealer if they still support your car after that modification. And again, if it's a faulty shock, call up the company right away to get a refund.
Old 07-25-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

I'm also going with the idea to remove them and check things out...double check all of the suspension compnents under there and make sure nothing is missing, loose, or bent.
Old 07-26-2012
Registered!!

damn...yeah I know I need to pull it. It sucks...I just had it all apart. this is a pretty recent issue.
Old 07-26-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if you got the wrong struts.
Old 07-26-2012
Registered!!

other people have gotten Tokico D-specs on the forum and i haven't heard of anyone having the issues i'm having. I thought I could've had the wrong struts too but I know that the paperwork was for the correct ones...which probably doesn 't mean ****! GRRR....I just want my suspension to be set...this stuff is frustrating.
Old 07-26-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you take a picture of the leaning strut? Then take a picture of what the camber looks like with the wheel on... I want to see a picture of the wheel itself.
Old 07-26-2012
Whachya lookin at?

If they are the right struts, it's definitely an install error. D specs don't hit the hood when done properly. You need to thoroughly inspect your suspension to see why the passenger side is leaning. Like above, start taking stuff apart until you discover a mistake or problem.
Old 07-26-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tdawg50
other people have gotten Tokico D-specs on the forum and i haven't heard of anyone having the issues i'm having. I thought I could've had the wrong struts too but I know that the paperwork was for the correct ones...which probably doesn 't mean ****! GRRR....I just want my suspension to be set...this stuff is frustrating.
The paper work might not match the actual strut. Look on the strut housing and find the model number on the strut, and match that to the number on there website. Whoever sent them might have grabbed the wrong box, or a different strut got put in the wrong box. I have D-Specs in the rear and am saving up to get the fronts, and in the research I did befor deciding to go with the D-Specs I did not read any mention of any issues with them fitting.
Old 07-26-2012
Whachya lookin at?

^ I also did some reading and nobody has this issue except you. They are probably the wrong struts.
Old 07-27-2012
Registered!!

Freaking Awesome! Well, I'm working a ton this weekend but next week I will have time to tear into it. Actually, Sunday Might work. I'm gonnna take a picture of the wheel camber and out it up here in the next day or two and then Sunday I will take the struts out. I sorta feel like an idiot. I should've figured they were the wrong struts waaaaaay before now. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Hopefully I can fix things relatively soon. Thanks for all the help guys. I will keep you updated.

Quick Reply: Strut hitting hood? pics inside...help needed