Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

springs n strut/shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012
anne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahndagrl is an unknown quantity at this point
springs n strut/shocks?

hey people.
im kinda new at this.. especially when i hear so many different things to get for my car from my friends that work on hondas.
so i plan on lowering my car.. i plan on getting eibach prokit springs.. but i have a question.. for an 05 civic ex coupe.. so i need to get all new strut bars or strut/shocks? im confused on that part.
a few months ago.. my car started leaning like an inch and half on the left side of the car.. one person told me that i have a blown strut/shock..and then the dealership said i needed to get a whole new shock/strut assembly kit. ...which i dont want to result in dealing with the dealership since they rip you off with labor and parts and etc.
so what do you all recommend i should get??
thanks..
Old 02-07-2012
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough
Re: springs n strut/shocks?

If you have to replace one, replace them all...A blown shock will not cause a lean. They only keep you from bouncing all over the road. Springs keep your height and basically push the car back up. The shock "absorbs" the pounding of the road and keeps the spring from just doing what springs do.... depending how good your shocks and springs are will depend on the ride quality. If you want to feel every bump in the road, then you want stiffer springs. If you don't want your suspension to move at all, stiffer shocks. Look around at different websites and see what is out there. look around this website and see what other people have...SEARCH, Don't just ask with a new thread....
Old 02-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

here i will start you on your path on enlightenment
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...ease-read.html
Old 02-07-2012
anne

i have been searching around. thats why i asked.. so what do you think is causing a lean on my civic.
Old 02-07-2012
anne

ok lowlife9, that didnt help me one bit. ok thanks.. for your useless information.
Old 02-07-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't be dissing a popular member lol. But most people get tokico blues or koni yellows for lowering. You cannot use stock struts. And just a fun fact, shocks do not have a coil spring around them. Struts are seated inside a coil spring. Our car has struts on all four corners.

About the leaning, look into a broken spring. My mech told me civics are notorious for breaking front springs, but I don't know the legitimacy behind that.
Old 02-08-2012
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

Are you pretty good at looking at something and seeing how it is supposed to be? Or can you look at 2 things and see differences in the 2? That's how this is going to work. Jack the car up, take the tires off and look for anything out of the ordinary, you also may want to see the car in it's natural state also (on the ground with tires on)...but just look around the area of the car that is leaning. once you have a good picture of that, look at the other side and compare it. See if there are any missing bolts...or anything that is broken. Once you find something broken, take a pic of it and post it on here, then we could maybe help you a little more.....I wouldn't just go out and buy some shocks and springs because if it's a different part that is broken, then you just wasted your money. Most people on here want to help, but you are our eyes and hands, we are just the brains....well some of us are the brains (*cough*slimrisk)...

If you decide to change your shocks/springs, do it all at once. I personally went with the KONI Yellows (shocks), and Neuspeed Springs (lowered 1 3/4". There is a lot of modifying that goes into installing the front springs, but there is a DIY on here on how to do it. If not, any GOOD suspension shop can do it. DON'T FORGET THE CAMBER KITS!!!

Here is the whole suspension...Use this as a diagram: Front Suspension.doc
Old 02-08-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SpdySylvrEX
Are you pretty good at looking at something and seeing how it is supposed to be? Or can you look at 2 things and see differences in the 2? That's how this is going to work. Jack the car up, take the tires off and look for anything out of the ordinary, you also may want to see the car in it's natural state also (on the ground with tires on)...but just look around the area of the car that is leaning. once you have a good picture of that, look at the other side and compare it. See if there are any missing bolts...or anything that is broken. Once you find something broken, take a pic of it and post it on here, then we could maybe help you a little more.....I wouldn't just go out and buy some shocks and springs because if it's a different part that is broken, then you just wasted your money. Most people on here want to help, but you are our eyes and hands, we are just the brains....well some of us are the brains (*cough*slimrisk)...

If you decide to change your shocks/springs, do it all at once. I personally went with the KONI Yellows (shocks), and Neuspeed Springs (lowered 1 3/4". There is a lot of modifying that goes into installing the front springs, but there is a DIY on here on how to do it. If not, any GOOD suspension shop can do it. DON'T FORGET THE CAMBER KITS!!!

Here is the whole suspension...Use this as a diagram: Attachment 82549
Hey she said she wanted to lower her car, and I gave her a few suggestions. I have no idea how to fix a lean and would never recommend randomly replacing parts until you find out the problem
Old 02-08-2012
Slow and Low

05EXSE is an unknown quantity at this point

You have a sagging spring or you broke something. Shocks are dampners. The weight of the vehicle lies on the springs. Each corner is weighted at a different rate. When ever they are changed the vehicle will be affected.
Old 02-08-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

prokit will warrant new shocks/struts all around anyway.
If a shock is too tired, it will start letting the spring raise too much, also.
note: eibach could also have some difference in height - mine rear left is lowest. works well for me either way, not worrying about it. I am not too heavy anyways to affect left side