Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Vibration/Steering Issues hard to diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DahrkDaiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Vibration/Steering Issues hard to diagnose

So I took my car to my personal mechanic and explained the following issues: For about 2 years now I've noticed a slight vibration that has progressively gotten worse in the steering wheel. I figured it might be an alignment/balance issue. When I got my tires replaced, they were aligned and balanced, however, now the car has a pretty consistent vibration described as such:

At highway speeds (50-65mph) there is a slight to strong vibration in the steering wheel jarring back and forth. However, sometimes the vibration will transfer to the seat. I can literally feel the vibration in the steering wheel start to lessen but strengthen in the seat and it will oscillate (sometimes) like this. Sometimes it won't vibrate at all.

Sometimes, when braking sudden or from a higher speed, there's a pulsating pull/push feeling that seems to come from one side of the car.

Finally, at some speeds when turning, when I let go of the steering wheel it will feel like it's catching before it returns to the center position. After the alignment, the steering wheel was straight but it seems after 2 or 3 weeks it's starting to **** to the right again.

Edit: One other thing, before the tires were replaced, some of the tires were feathered and one tire was severely worn more than the other 3.

All the of these symptoms don't always happen, but when they do they're always the same. My mechanic is having a hard time locating the issue. My first suspect was control arm or control arm bushings but I think he probably ruled those out. Any suggestions?

Last edited by DahrkDaiz; 05-10-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-10-2011
Trance Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Vibration/Steering Issues hard to diagnose

Add checking outer tie rod ends to the list. Check the boots for tears and check for play. There should be none. The pulsation from stopping and pulling to one side could be a brake issue.
Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

Yeah my next guess was going to be tie rod ends since I do hear a clunk from the passenger side over bumps, but I just assumed this was the strut going bad. I am a bit concerned that my mechanic was saying they think it's somewhere in the driveline and was asking me if I ever had tranny issues, but I guess driveline includes anything that makes allows the car to continue moving forward after the engine/transmission gives it power?
Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

What_It_Do will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DahrkDaiz
Yeah my next guess was going to be tie rod ends since I do hear a clunk from the passenger side over bumps, but I just assumed this was the strut going bad. I am a bit concerned that my mechanic was saying they think it's somewhere in the driveline and was asking me if I ever had tranny issues, but I guess driveline includes anything that makes allows the car to continue moving forward after the engine/transmission gives it power?
When you experience the vibration while driving, put your car in neutral. If the vibration is still present. Than it's probably not driveline.
Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

Edit: no post. Sorry.
Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

arubio0812 is an unknown quantity at this point

im a rookie but i have owned nothing but hondas for the 5 years ive been driving, check the rotors, if there old they can warp and cause bad vibration, also check if the rotor screws are tightened enough sometime loose rotors will cause this too.
Old 05-10-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

That pertains to any car, not just Hondas .
Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

arubio0812 is an unknown quantity at this point

btw i have steering vibration in my steering wheel too in my 2002 civic 4 dr, i just got my wheels balanced, checked the sway bar links (there good), butt, im missing one screw on one rotor, driver strut is oozing, and the passenger side bushing (the big one towards the front is cracked. Which one of these could cause the vibration when i turn my wheel and whenever im driving fast or acclerating
Old 05-10-2011
Im a Senior Member. Take that Noobs!!

Foffie has a spectacular aura aboutFoffie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by arubio0812
im a rookie but i have owned nothing but hondas for the 5 years ive been driving, check the rotors, if there old they can warp and cause bad vibration, also check if the rotor screws are tightened enough sometime loose rotors will cause this too.
If your talking about the two screws in the center of the rotor those are not needed at all the lug nuts will hold your rotors on just fine. I would start by looking at your axles put the car in the air (safely) and start accelerating inspect your axle's for wobble.
Old 05-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

It could also be a warped rim.
Old 05-11-2011
Registered!!

Well I got the car back and my mechanic says he thinks it's in the transmission or the axle and that it's coming from the driver's side. I'm not entirely sure why transmission issues would cause a steering wheel wobble and no actual gear shifting issues. If it were really axle based, then would the speed really matter? The wobble _only_ happens at speeds above 50 mph and sometimes when steering at certain angles.

And, one last thing, I don't know if this is related, but in the winter during really cold days it feels as if the is a wobble on the passenger side of the car that goes away once the car warms up. No clue if it's related, but wouldn't be surprised.