Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Strut mounts and Bearings help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bravo79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Strut mounts and Bearings help

I have 2001 civic EX coupe I changed the front shocked without changing anything else. The shocked I got were something aftermarket(Advanced auto international brand)

I'm planning to get

1-51402-S5A-024 RUBBER, FR. SPRING MOUNTING
2-51688-S5A-014 SEAT, SPRING (UPPER)
3-51726-S5A-004 BEARING, FR. SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNT
4-51920-S5A-024 MOUNT, R. FR. SHOCK ABSORBER (Left and Right)

My car ride very stiff and I can hear everything inside even with a very small bump! with a clunking noise from the front strut mount, Also alignment problems,

Do I need to get all of these or some ? Which part that doesn't need to be replaced ? Or reused

Any body changed those and felt any difference ?

Please help

I have searched the forum for posts but nothing really answers these question
Old 11-03-2010
Registered!!

Re: Strut mounts and Bearings help

lol I meant Shocks not Shocked !
Old 11-04-2010
Registered!!

MoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura about

I just replaced my front stock struts with the KYB GR2's. I had a clunking noise from the passenger side strut, upper mount (after the install). The mount went bad. I think the bearing was damaged as well, it appeared to be sunk in too far into the mount when i took it out and inspected it. I could see where the clunking noise was coming from when i had the strut out of the car. It was basically the whole strut, the upper mount specifically, knocking against the frame of my car, the inside of the strut tower, to be more specific... again.. I threw a new upper mount in and it seemed to take care of my problems. I also had some binding/popping noise with that strut. I had my mechanic lube up the top of the upper mount as a precaution, though i'm sure this wasn't necessary. I think the binding was the bad bearing. So, if i were you i would start with the mount, which includes the bearing. Take a look at the rubber strut boot to see if it looks worn and use your better judgment to decide if replacing it is worth the money. I'm not a mechanic, so don't press charges if my information doesn't apply to, or doesn't help you.
Old 11-04-2010
Registered!!

MoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura about

Although it is necessary to need an alignment after installing, or even touching just about anything related to the suspension, I would say you should fix your problems before having the alignment checked. My alignment is off a few inches since the new front struts (about a week ago). But i wanna make sure nothing else goes wrong before i have it done, so ill give it a month. I cal live with the alignment, so long as the struts are performing properly.
Old 11-05-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

not really sure if the spring seats would help on your problem, but since you will need to take the shocks out, you could do that for peace of mind.
the stiff thing could just be the new shcoks.
clunking could be the mounts or sway bar endlinks among other stuff
Old 11-05-2010
Registered!!

Thanks guys. (I have a clunking noise from the passenger side strut) Same here.

Here is the thing ! I'm planning to get the strut mounts from Honda however I found somewhere that the Mounts for 2001 and 2002 Civics are Plastic ? And the ones for the 03-05 and metal ! Is this true ? The ones for 03 are little bit more expansive than the 01 . The KYB Mounts comes with bearings with them and its tempting lol.

The sway bar links looks good.

I had done alignment like 4 times and each time it pulls to a different side ! Pboys sucks but maybe its not there fault. I know now that I have bad Tie Rod (Left)
And planning on getting it from Honda as well

I would greatly appreciate your inputs here

Thanks
Old 11-11-2010
Registered!!

I guess there is no more information can be added to my question

Now that I need to know if the mounts from the civics 02-05 will fit on my 01 civic EX ? I went to the dealer and they dont know !

Did somebody tried to install these on 01 civic ?
The part numbers for the 02 are

51726-S5A-701 009 002 BEARING, FR. SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNT
51920-S5A-751 010 001 MOUNT, R. FR. SHOCK ABSORBER

The ones for 01

51920-S5A-024 010 001 MOUNT, R. FR. SHOCK ABSORBER
51925-S5A-024 011 001 MOUNT, L. FR. SHOCK ABSORBER

The 01 mounts will fit the SIs as well !