Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

01 LX inside tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tatarik is an unknown quantity at this point
01 LX inside tire wear

driver side front tire wears abnormally fast on inside. i don't see where camber can be adjusted during alignment. any alignment tech here that has experienced correcting this problem? thank you.
Old 09-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: 01 LX inside tire wear

camber bolts. they go where the strut assembly meets the knuckle assembly. they have them at most any parts store or here: http://www.truehonda.com/inventory.p...products&id=27 or here: http://www.rockauto.com/
Old 09-11-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tatarik
driver side front tire wears abnormally fast on inside. i don't see where camber can be adjusted during alignment. any alignment tech here that has experienced correcting this problem? thank you.
the bolts can be slightly moved for camber adjustments, but have you aligned the car recently? toe could cause this as well.
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AldisCurt
While the prior posters are correct, your rear end is out of alignment, you CANNOT take it to an alignment shop for a fix. The rear suspension on MKIV VWs is NOT adjustable by conventional means. Really the only thing you can look to do is to either find a new rear axle tube, $495 at the dealer, find a used axle tube and end up with the same thing you have now, or you can buy some shims designed specifically for fixing "x" amount of camber and/or toe.

I chose to go with option 3, the shims, on my '01 Golf, it too was wearing out the insides of tires (about 15k miles per set). Basically I went into Sears, had them do an alignment CHECK, which is $15 (a full alignment is $70 around here, which isn't a bad idea if it's been a while since your front end has been checked) and just gives you a readout of where you are, ordered shims from JCWhitney, took the rear end apart, installed the shims, and now everything is at least pretty close to correct. My right rear toe is still out a fair amount, but the camber is nearly within spec (was out 3* before) and the tire wear seemed to have ceased.
That only applies when the back toe or castor is off. Just because 1 front tire is wearing does not mean the back is necessarily out of alignment.

btw- CIVICS don't have a rear axle tube.

*EDIT: Sorry folks, just realized he's a troll.

Last edited by lazlong; 09-21-2010 at 03:41 PM.