Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Alignment effect on steering responce

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kiwi133 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alignment effect on steering responce

I recently got some new shocks for the back end and once I install them I'm gonna take the car in for an alignment. (Has never needed one since I got the car 4 years ago and 50000 miles )

My question is how should I tell the shop to alter the alignment on the front end from stock specs to improve on center steering responsiveness and what other effects will this have on handling if any. And will there be a significant effect on tire wear?

I don't want nervous twitchy responce on/coming off center (If you have driven a honda fit you will understand)
I just want to tweek it a smidgen for a more wired, tight leather glove feel. As it is right now there is no dead zone, but directly on center while maintaining speed or coasting there is a sort of squooshy zone. If I am on the gas though it seems to feel tighter.

Feel free to point out my ignorance if I've made incorrect assumptions about anything just enlighten me with the facts as well.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Alignment effect on steering responce

tell them to set ur toe to 0.

also tell them to giv you 1-3 degrees of camber...

believe it or not, a bit of camber will increase ur handling on turns.

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 11-20-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2007

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

"Increasing negative camber is one of the most effective and inexpensive ways to improve handling but is often overlooked on street cars. Negative camber in the 2 degree range will have little effect on tire wear but can have a dramatic affect on reducing understeer. Insufficient negative camber is the reason many driver school students destroy the outside edges of their front tires. For perspective, the front suspension of race cars are usually set up with 3 to 4 degrees (or more) of negative camber. However, this much negative camber would quickly wear out the tires of a street driven car that spends most of it's time going straight."

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 11-20-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2007
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about

^^^ on a daily driven car, do not exceed 1.5 or even 1.25 degrees of negative camber. anymore is really oriented for track use and will significantly wear down your tires.
Old 11-20-2007

negative camber is when the top of the tire tips inward btw
Old 11-21-2007
Registered!!

CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road

so do you actually give negative camber to the front only or all four corners. so if i'm reading it right. 0 toe, and negative 1 on camber. how will the tire tread be eaten up after maybe a year? drastically or minimal taking that your driving normally....and a little here and there turning fast onto onramp.
Old 11-21-2007
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about

for better handling, you should give a little bit of negative camber on all four corners. its not necessary, however. with a -1 degree of camber, your tire wear will be normal.
Old 11-21-2007
Registered!!

HighBoost is an unknown quantity at this point

if u r a daily street driver and not goin to the track or auto cross..i say the front should be 0 toe 0 camber. the rear should be 0 toe, -1 camber..this set up is in the civic manunal book.
Old 11-21-2007
Registered!!

CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road

high boost....our cars are fwd, so wouldnt -1 degree camber in the front also would help greatly on steering respone instead of just the back? plus da1lydr1ver said the tire wear isnt bad...once i get my rims, i think i'm going for the -1 degree all around since the tire wear will be normal....ty for the info....

Last edited by CIVIC X3; 11-21-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2007

u dont need to be an autoXer to have -1 camber....

its just better for corners...autox or not.

autox ppl ususally have lke 4+ degrees of camber.

again, anything below the 2 degree range(or 1, debatable) is OK...reserach it for urself if you dont believe da1lydr1ver or i
Old 11-21-2007
Registered!!

metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

Originally Posted by HighBoost
if u r a daily street driver and not goin to the track or auto cross..i say the front should be 0 toe 0 camber. the rear should be 0 toe, -1 camber..this set up is in the civic manunal book.
hes trying to stay away from stock specs.
i was running -1.25 front and -.75 rear and i could tell the difference in handling. if its just a daily driver id say somewhere between (-.75 to -1.25) front and (-.5 to -1) rear with 0 toe. you can tell a difference with less understeer, which the stock specs help to ensure.
Old 11-25-2007
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

I STRONGLY disagree with this on a street driven car. I agree with what Da1lyDr1ver says. But only if your willing to sacrifice some tire wear should you ever deviate from factory specs

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
"Increasing negative camber is one of the most effective and inexpensive ways to improve handling but is often overlooked on street cars. Negative camber in the 2 degree range will have little effect on tire wear but can have a dramatic affect on reducing understeer. Insufficient negative camber is the reason many driver school students destroy the outside edges of their front tires. For perspective, the front suspension of race cars are usually set up with 3 to 4 degrees (or more) of negative camber. However, this much negative camber would quickly wear out the tires of a street driven car that spends most of it's time going straight."