Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Better results?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baiwldrnner is an unknown quantity at this point
Better results?

I'm debating whether to add a strut bar and rear sway bar, or change my struts and springs. Which pairing would give better handling results? Thanx.
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

kuNhoHan will become famous soon enough
Re: Better results?

depends on your current setup and what direction you would go, if you have stock struts then i suggest upgrading your suspension before you add sways, it is all up to your driving style
Old 11-06-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

i noted a minimal difference with a neuspeed front bar on stock springs and struts, however, the s tech springs and tokico hp struts made a hell of a difference. now that i have all that, i'm collecting parts to add rsx front and rear sways (i dont' have front or rear on my 04 dx right now). which route you choose to go depends on your budget. just remember, if you decide to add a rear sway, you're going to need the progress kit to mount the bar, in addition to the bar and endlinks. i think the progress kit is like 150, plus the bar, and it doesn't include endlinks that i'm aware of.
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kuNhoHan
depends on your current setup and what direction you would go, if you have stock struts then i suggest upgrading your suspension before you add sways, it is all up to your driving style
Yeah, my car is bone stock (except for the tires and wheels). I'm gonna track my car for the first time next month, so that's why I ask. I talked to some ppl in my school's car club, and most say a strut bar and rear sway bar is good enough for good track handling. I'm quite unsure. I'll just track my car stock, and then go from there.
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

kuNhoHan will become famous soon enough

thats the best way to go, learn the car from start and work your way up
Old 11-06-2007
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Short list of suspension modifications From most important to least.

1. Driver
2. Tires
3. Alignment
4. Dampers
5. Springs & Anti-roll bars
6. Chassis bracing

Start from the top and work down.
Old 11-06-2007
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baiwldrnner
Yeah, my car is bone stock (except for the tires and wheels). I'm gonna track my car for the first time next month, so that's why I ask. I talked to some ppl in my school's car club, and most say a strut bar and rear sway bar is good enough for good track handling. I'm quite unsure. I'll just track my car stock, and then go from there.

I assume you mean open track?

If so then don't modify any thing. Seriously, get seat time 1st.
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough

as previously stated, hit the track first and find out where your weak points are. learn first, upgrade second.

Short list of suspension modifications From most important to least.

1. Driver
the more time you spend behind the wheel on the track, the better your car is going to perform. I would only start to upgrade when you get to the point where your lap times are within a second of each other. until that point occurs, you are the only upgrade for your car (and luckily thats the cheapest upgrade)
Old 11-06-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

u want a real big difference, get some koni and groundcontrol...

its like driveing a totally differnt car....TOTALLY
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

twistitup is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure your tires and fluids are good, (including brakes!) and hit the track. If you've never been before, you are the weakest link of your suspension. (I'm not insulting you it's just learning something new takes practice)

Have fun and learn about your car and yourself!

Personally, the rsx rear sway was a very nice upgrade, and the front strut bar I used helped the front wheels stay more composed. If you decide to modify something and your shocks are still performing well, don't change them, go with the sway and strut combo + alignment. Factory shocks and springs are perfectly fine for performance driving.

It is best to drive fully stock first to see what your car(and you) actually does in extremes.
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

I agree with what has been said before me. Im on stock suspension, but I have a neuspeed strut bar. Basically as someone said before it stiffens the whole front end and makes it feel more composed. I really noticed the biggest difference if I encounter roughness in the road mid-corner. Hopefully a track won't have a pothole mid-corner if it's worth a damn, so if your worried about track performance a strut bar would be lower on your list (for track performance).
Old 11-07-2007
Registered!!

cool! Thanx guys for ur imputs .
Old 11-07-2007
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

For the most effect, this is the order from great to none

sway bars (crappy tires, and youll be losing your back end sometimes)
tires tires tires!!! i cant stress this enough
alignment setting
struts/springs
strut bars
underbrace
etc.etc.
basically if you just do the first 4, you will be fine everytihng else is kinda just a waste IMO

P.S. please remember...negative camber does not equal better handling..."im more lowered than you" also doesnt mean anything