Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

HELP: Ripped TieRod End Boot = Bad Alignment???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nukleus is an unknown quantity at this point
Question HELP: Ripped TieRod End Boot = Bad Alignment???

I've had a ripped drivers-side tie-rod end boot since my DIY for my Eibach ProKit springs. I had it aligned way back when and the alignment was fine.

I recently had Tokico shocks/struts installed professionally and then went and got the car aligned again since the steering wheel was pointing at 10 o'clock just to drive straight.

I noticed that when the steering wheel is straightened out the car begins to veer towards the left. In less-than 1/8 of a mile I'd probably be well in the left-lane just from driving straight.

I've tested this out numerous times and many different straight roads and the majority of the time it does this. Maybe if the road slants off to the right a lot the car won't do it.. but on level roads it happens.

My question is if having a torn tie-rod end (the little rubber boot that holds the greese) on the drivers side would cause this misalignment. I need your help before I take the car back to the shop I aligned it at this Friday
Old 04-11-2007
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Re: HELP: Ripped TieRod End Boot = Bad Alignment???

It is my opinion that this would definately NOT cause an alignment issue.

Check tire pressures if you just has an alignment job done. If all is well then take it back to the shop for an evaluation.
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

how windy is it?
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

I did think about the wind issue, but I've commuted this car for a few days now and have tested it in places where wind isn't an issue.

As for the tire pressures, I'll go ahead and check that tonight. Looks like it's off to pepboys to buy a tire gauge.
Old 04-11-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

if it isnt your tire pressure it's going to be your steer-ahead. The accuracy of the steer-ahead comes down to the machine used and the technician using it. a torn boot is definately not going to directly cause a poor alignment, however, if the tie rod has been unlubricated for a long time, it's possible that it is worn and has play. Id say take it back, most 'big' places that do alignments warranty their work for atleast 6 months. and if it IS the tie rod, which i highly doubt, a good technician should be able to identify and let you know of the problem.
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

skoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Same thing with me minus the cv axel rip. I think it's because I only waited a week before alignment after install. I have the same set up...prokit with tokico blues. I'm thinking the car has "settled" a little more over time. I need to have mine re-aligned
Old 04-11-2007
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

What skip said! I do alignments every day and its not uncommon to have a slightly crooked wheel if there is a problem with the machine, hoist, or the tech running it
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by skipbarber
if it isnt your tire pressure it's going to be your steer-ahead. The accuracy of the steer-ahead comes down to the machine used and the technician using it. a torn boot is definately not going to directly cause a poor alignment, however, if the tie rod has been unlubricated for a long time, it's possible that it is worn and has play. Id say take it back, most 'big' places that do alignments warranty their work for atleast 6 months. and if it IS the tie rod, which i highly doubt, a good technician should be able to identify and let you know of the problem.
Thanks a lot. Lucky that you guys hang around these forums. I'll definitely be bringing it back.
Old 04-15-2007
Registered!!

I talked to the original place I took my car to for alignment. First, the suspension guy asked if it was just during acceleration and if it did it while just coasting. I told him I was pretty sure it was both but I'd check. He then proceeded to tell me everything was all correct regarding camber. He went on to say that if it was the toe then nothing could be done because the front-end has no toe adjustment.

On instinct, I didn't take this guys word for it and took it to Big O Tires for a free alignment. They checked it out and found that the toe was off on the driver's side front and rear tire. The manager asked the guy who checked my car if the toe could be adjusted and he said YES. OMG, the first independant auto shop I went to was a load of bull-sh*t. I swear, the first dude I went to must've been a total automotive moron.

I did get my car correctly aligned and am driving with full confidence now. I lost some money but I learned a very big lesson. "You really can't trust independant shops and you need to know what you're getting into before getting repairs.

Thanks again for everyone's input/help.
Old 04-17-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

i have yet to see a production vehicle that doesnt have a front toe adjustment. id take your new print outs with correctred toe to the original shop and demand a full refund. tell them your parents are lawyers or something of that caliber.