Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

My Rear Tire Is Rubbing Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007
Dear Mr. Toilet, I'm The S.H.I.T.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to all
My Rear Tire Is Rubbing Why?

When I have people in my back seat and I go like over a bump or anything that wll make my car go up and down only the passenger rear side rubs and everytime I have one person in my car I have to tell them to sit behind me because if they sit in the passenger side and I I go over a bump or anything it rubs and not the driver side... Why is that? Can my springs be wasted? Because I had them on blown tokico shocks for 2yrs, rite now I have konis in the rear and tokico in the front but when I put people in the back my car get so low that I'm afraid to put my kit on and f^ck it up like that. I have neuspeed race springs if that helps, thank you.
Old 03-10-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
maybe you should adjust the Koni's to more stiff to lessen the bouciness
Old 03-10-2007
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
adjusting the struts wont help much in terms of your tire rubbing issue. more likely is your alignment is off. get one done, and when you're at the shop, tell them to put a little more negative camber in the back tires so when your shocks compress your rear wheels will tuck under your car. by adding more negative camber, your rear wheels will look like this / \
Old 03-10-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
*cough* http://www.rollyourfender.com/ *cough*
Old 03-10-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Yar!!!! Grab the ole bat and roll those fenders matey!!!
Old 03-10-2007

IrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to all
I was thinking about buying some skunk2 coilovers and lift the rear more up. What you think? Will it still rub?
Old 03-10-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
If you put enough weight on the rear, example- people or weight in the trunk, its going to compress, and therefore rub... roll the fenders- you can get this tool from autozone or some place equivelent for pretty cheap. Its pretty quick, use a heat gun and some lube, or just go at it with a bat... either way gets the job done. If you still have rubbing issues, then I'd adjust the camber, and if that didnt do it, i'd work on raising the rear slightly.

To be honest, I've heard bad stuff about skunks suspension products, their springs in specific, i'm sure their coilovers arent far off. Up to you though.
Old 03-10-2007

Ok rite now I have Neuspeed Race Springs and I was thinking of the Neuspeed Sport, would that be better?
Old 03-10-2007
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by IrockCivics
I was thinking about buying some skunk2 coilovers and lift the rear more up. What you think? Will it still rub?
This might help, but you may still rub like that, because raising doesn't affect whether your tires stick out more, or stick in more. I had the exact same problem when I got my drop, and rims last year. Also with raising the car, you might have raise it so high that it doesn't look good any more.

I would roll the fenders or get an alignment, like everyone has said so far. I personally got an alignment. I put -2 camber on my rears now. It wears out the inner part of your tire a little more, but I could care less.
Old 03-10-2007

I havent gone a alignment since I last took my rims off and that was like in september of lastyear and I have the oem cambers on my ride, my friend said that my springs might be gone.... Cause I remember like two years ago I use to have 3 peoples in my back seat and my rims never rubbed or nothing and it started to rub since I got my konis installed and that was like 3months ago and before I got the konis installed my my wheel never rubbed.
Old 03-10-2007
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Even if your springs are shot, it won't affect how much your tire stick in or out. You could also change your tire size as well.

Changing your springs is going to do nothing.
Old 03-10-2007
Registered!!

Dark_Pyro7 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you dont have a camber kit in the back, your camber is probably off being dropped. get a camber kit, get an alignment, roll those fenders.
Old 03-11-2007
Registered!!

PitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nice
...tell your friends to drive their own cars...its cheap and you won't have to worry about your wheels rubbing...
Old 03-11-2007
Boredom causes changes ;)

Karumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by IrockCivics
I havent gone a alignment since I last took my rims off and that was like in september of lastyear and I have the oem cambers on my ride, my friend said that my springs might be gone.... Cause I remember like two years ago I use to have 3 peoples in my back seat and my rims never rubbed or nothing and it started to rub since I got my konis installed and that was like 3months ago and before I got the konis installed my my wheel never rubbed.
I highlighted the parts that I went about. You did suspension work and you haven't gotten an alignment since?? I feel sorry for your tires.. More than likely your camber changed. Noticably moreso on your passenger side if you are rubbing on that side.

Now as others have mentioned;
1) Alignment
2) Fender Rolling
3) Raising Suspenion

You have your choices .. you can start wherever you'd like to, but some is not necessary. Personally I would start with an alignment and then rolling the fenders. After that, if you are still not satisfied and you'll be riding low and being a taxi a lot of the time, then it might be smarter to up your ride height.