Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

How Low Is To Low....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
goodtimes is on a distinguished road
How Low Is To Low....

i just got a set of megan coilovers and when i set the ride hight i sent very low(just about tuckin 16's) and i when to get an alingment done and he said they couldem adjust the toe any more b/c it was out of threads. so my Q is to you what other things can mess you if you go to low.

and what do you guys think is the minmin ride i can go with out messin and suspension part up.
Old 02-13-2006
Formerly 2blu

Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
I thought that camber, not toe is affected by lowering.
Old 02-13-2006
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
any time you change camber angles you also change toe angles... and toe will eat tires 10X faster then just about any amount of negitive camber.... BUT since its alot harder to see toe angles, most people just blame camber when their tires wear out quickly.

Other Handling problems of going to low...

1. Bottoming out the suspension (specifically the front) mid turn = Understeer city.
2. too low of a ride height = loss of negitive camber under suspension compression = more understeer
Old 02-13-2006
Formerly 2blu

Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
I knew that, but i thought that u could always put toe back to 0 even after lowering. Where as u need a camber kit to get closer to stock.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
any time you change camber angles you also change toe angles... and toe will eat tires 10X faster then just about any amount of negitive camber.... BUT since its alot harder to see toe angles, most people just blame camber when their tires wear out quickly.

Other Handling problems of going to low...

1. Bottoming out the suspension (specifically the front) mid turn = Understeer city.
2. too low of a ride height = loss of negitive camber under suspension compression = more understeer
Zzyzx did you see my alingment specs on the other thread. what do you think would be a good ride hight for not messin anything up 1-2 finger gap

btw im on 16's
Old 02-13-2006
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by goodtimes
Zzyzx did you see my alingment specs on the other thread. what do you think would be a good ride hight for not messin anything up 1-2 finger gap

btw im on 16's

Finger gaps dont tell you any thing (Nither do wheel sizes)... given that what size tire you run greatly influences that measurement. what you need to look at would be chassis ride height.

but any way, from talking with the RSX guys it appears that a -1 to -1.5 would be around optimum drop, as it gives you plenty of suspension travle and doesnt dip you in to the relm of adding positive camber on the nose as the suspension compresses. but then this also depends on spring rates, as softer spring rates will require less of a drop in order to maintain suspension geometry.
Old 02-13-2006
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
+1rep man^^^ as ussual lol.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Finger gaps dont tell you any thing (Nither do wheel sizes)... given that what size tire you run greatly influences that measurement. what you need to look at would be chassis ride height.

but any way, from talking with the RSX guys it appears that a -1 to -1.5 would be around optimum drop, as it gives you plenty of suspension travle and doesnt dip you in to the relm of adding positive camber on the nose as the suspension compresses. but then this also depends on spring rates, as softer spring rates will require less of a drop in order to maintain suspension geometry.
Well i have the megan coilovers and i think there right around 8k front 10k rear so does that mean i would half to go lower b/c i have a higher spring rate, im runin 205/50/16 now. May i ask how you determinde your drop.

and how do you get it the right hight. Like when i adjust my coils to lower it or rase it i just determind it by lookin at it. is that what you do or do you do it some other way.

im looking for a sporty kinda drop but allso will put out the best handeling too.

Old 02-13-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
too low is when people are focusing on your car when your about to go over a speed bump, just to watch to see if you scrape the **** out of any part of your car. other than that, if you have the right setup its never too low.
Old 02-13-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
May i ask how you determinde your drop.
Top of the wheel arch to the center of the hub. OR top of the fender to the ground.
Thats the easiest way to find chassis height.
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

^^^ yeah thats probley going to be my best bet to do.

my fronts are at about 23inch of ground to fender and the back is about 24inch.

whats your guys (boilermaker,Zzyzx) if you know so i can compare with you guys.

maybe i rase it to 24inch in the front and 24 1/2 in the rear that should be good right
Old 02-14-2006
Banned

LowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to all
You can NEVER go too low...
Old 02-14-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by goodtimes
^^^ yeah thats probley going to be my best bet to do.

my fronts are at about 23inch of ground to fender and the back is about 24inch.

whats your guys (boilermaker,Zzyzx) if you know so i can compare with you guys.

maybe i rase it to 24inch in the front and 24 1/2 in the rear that should be good right
12 7/8" from the fender arch to the hub center.
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

well mines about 12" form the fender arch to the hub center.

so im going to rase it up some.
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

sdt532000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about dropping

I am getting 205/45/17 but I don't wanna dropped.What do u think about driving city especially potholes and speedbumps?
What's the main advantage or disadvantage getting dropped ?
thanx