Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Suspension Problem Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black04ex will become famous soon enoughBlack04ex will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Suspension Problem Question?

I have my car lowered on the Koni Sport Kit. This conists of Koni Yellow shocks and Koni springs.

I have recently started getting a noise from my front left side of my car when I turn my wheel left. It sounds like a number of pops as I turn my wheel. When the car is parked and the steering is moved left to right all you hear is (pop,pop,pop). It only does this for the first 1/4 crank of the wheel to the left.

I took the car to honda today and was told they can not determine where the noise is coming from but they will not work on a modified car.

Any idea what the noise may be or if infact it is my Koni's?

I am going to take it back to the racing shop that installed them on saturday and have them rip the front end down.
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryangt is an unknown quantity at this point
indexing

Did the shop index the springs??? mine popped when i put on my konis and my sportlines, if you dont index them ( lining up the arrows on the spring perch) they WILL POP
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

Black04ex will become famous soon enoughBlack04ex will become famous soon enough
Ill have them check it. It's just really weird that it only happens a few times. I keep thinking strut but for some reason I would think it would do it all the time. The inconsistency is what has me concerned.

I would think the shop would have done it for all of them. They do high end work, but everyone does make mistakes. To only be the front left makes no sense.

Honda just refused to chase the problem down which I dont mind but what a waste of a day for me.
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryangt is an unknown quantity at this point
pop goes the suspension

well not everyone knows everything about everything, if they do high end stuff, chances are they dont know jack about hondas. It is a very commonly overlooked step, i myself didnt do it and i knew about it.
Old 10-10-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Any spring with out a top seat needs to be indexed. Chances are the bearing wasn't properly re-assembled or the springs weren't indexed. The strut won't make popping noises, its something related to steering. Check and make sure they tightened the top nut down.
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

Thank god!, Im glad to hear that. Ill take it over on sat and have them look at it.

It could also be from the 8 alignments It has had in the last 4,000 miles. It wasnt till the last one when I noticed the poping.

Ill have them check both of those out.
Old 10-10-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
hmm that seems to happen to alot of ppl on the forum
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

Yes, that is strange.

Mine first started with a minor pop and only did it one time here and there. Now it has turned into a constant pop when turning the wheel left.

Oh well, everything can be fixed with a little cash and a good mechanic.

I took the car out and pushed it to its limit through some turns tonight and the funny thing is, it sounds better. I think I left half of my P Zeros in the turns though.

Another thing, why would it take 4 months for this problem to appear if the install was incorrect?

Last edited by Black04ex; 10-10-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2005
The one and only....

Echelon04 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's so easy to line up the springs. I had no problem at all, they sat perfectly. Just be careful with that top bearing mine came out, and I had to put it back together...lol
Old 10-10-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem with tein basic coilover...
do you hear the squeaking when driving over bumps beside the pop?
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

Hypnotized is an unknown quantity at this point
Same problem here.. I think I lost 1 bearing on the left front and it makes a popping noise whenever i drive. I just installed them yesterday and now I gotta go back and redo them.
Old 10-11-2005

what do you mean you lost 1 bearing??
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

It only makes the noise at very low speeds, mostly when starting out in 1st. It really does it bad when I am parked and move my wheel left to right.

Im going to two different places on Thursday to have it looked at.

They said they will check:
Tie Rod
Bearing
Axle
Top Strut Mount

If it will cost more than 200 bucks to fix the car is gone, trade in for a new TSX or TL.
Old 10-12-2005

is the indexing problem apply to tein basic coilover also? or it's just for springs + struts combo?
Old 10-13-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by es2k2
i have the same problem with tein basic coilover...
do you hear the squeaking when driving over bumps beside the pop?
i have the squeaking what causes that? i figured it was normal with lowered cars lemme know
Old 10-13-2005

Originally Posted by mugenman
i have the squeaking what causes that? i figured it was normal with lowered cars lemme know
not sure.. heard it's the index not lined up.. but i don't know if this is the case for coilover or not
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

MIVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a pop noise just as you describe, i took it to a local shop and they said my tie rods had alot of movement. i had them replaced and no more popping.
cheap fix and my allignment is great now.
Old 10-13-2005

could it be the sway bar if i have the squeaking noise when going over bumps? if there's a popping when turning the wheel, then it would be the tie rod? (assume the indexing is correct and no indexing requires for coilover)
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

Update!

My strut and all its components are fine, everything was installed right. The shop brought my strut out to me in the waiting room. The checked out all of the parts on the strut and said it looked great.

Now I have set an appointment for an alignment and tie rod check at the Honda dealer where I bought my car.

I hope I can get to the bottom of this.
Old 10-26-2005

i'm going to have someone check my endlinks and/or put some wd40 on the bolts
Old 10-27-2005
Registered!!

mmm2donuts is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the exact same popping problem on the left side when im turning the wheel. I am on tein basic coilovers. I took it to the honda dealership and they said there was nothing wrong with it. My teins are also very squeaky when going over bumps, etc. anyone have a good fix for this? im really angry and annoyed by this.
Old 10-28-2005
Got the broccoli in my back pocket

2k3kansasEX is an unknown quantity at this point
I just took my wheels off to rotate and checked mine and the basterd yellow konis will not stay tight i have tighted them three times now. I drive like crap though I love the ride but the noises from the front and the fact they wont stay tight pisses me off
Old 10-28-2005
im a psychopath...what are you looking at?

claudeboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mugenman
hmm that seems to happen to alot of ppl on the forum
EXACTLY, i really believe its the "stabilizing bar" (i thinks thats wat is called) connected from your struts. If you notice it when your not drop, the bars are at approximately 10 degrees above and below zero in angle, assuming zero is hella straight. When you dropped it, the angle is now way above ten degrees (approximately). I believe that those bars aren't enginereed to handle dropped for long period of time. I had the same problem and the mechanic said he couldn't anything about it. I left it alone and the popping sound jus went away. The bars need to settle as springs need to settle too.
this is jus my .02....
Old 10-28-2005

you mean the front sway bar???
maybe we need to get an aftermarket one like neuspeed??
Old 10-28-2005
im a psychopath...what are you looking at?

claudeboi is an unknown quantity at this point
yea sway bar, it needs to be upgraded, in my opinion...
Old 10-28-2005

which front sway bar will be good for coilover then???
Old 10-28-2005
Registered!!

I'm guessing my problems is tie rods. Given I have had the suspension in 5 months with no problems and now just out of the blue it starts to pop. I really believe the shop that did the last alignment screwed something up when they said they adjusted my tie rods to straighten the steering wheel. I guess the only thing I can do is just have honda replace them with factories again and I hope I can make it 5000 more miles without noises
Old 11-21-2005
Registered!!

Update---

It was my front right strut. It wont stay tight! I had it fixed on friday and now the noise is starting to come back. They said everything else in my front end looks fine.