Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Coilovers vs. Shocks vs. Struts - WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HectorM52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Coilovers vs. Shocks vs. Struts - WTF?

Okay, I know from my cars in the past what a strut is. My truck has a typical shock. I've seen coilovers many times...

...Problem is, on a Civic apparently there are variations of each.

I see 3 basic components to the Civic (front) suspension. Shock, strut mount, and spring. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. (I really wish I had a pic of each for clarification.) I see these 3 parts as 3 separate parts. I can buy one without the other, right???

So here's my deal:

I see on ebay what people call a "Coilover Kit." These run from $100 to $300.
This looks to be some sort of sleeve that I would have to assume slides over top of your original "shock." Then it comes with the coil. So it is a "coil" and it goes "over" the shock. "Coil-over." Right?

Then, I see what I am used to seeing as a TRUE "coilover kit" which runs from $900 to $1300. These are the springs and dampers as the "total package" of sorts. I saw a Megan Racing which looked to be the closest to what I am used to seeing. It was $900. Will these utilize my stock "strut mounts" or do they have their own system?? If someone has a pic of these TRUE coilover kits I would be sooo happy.

Finally, I have in my garage a set of lowering springs. I have to assume these will take the place of my original springs. They will utilize my factory "shock" and strut mount, right?

Does all that sound right?

Basically, I think I need new shocks and I already have lowering springs with alignment kits. I am contemplating putting them on but at the same time I am curious about coilover kits.

What do you guys think? Pics? Stories? Testimonies?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
A strut is a shock that also functions as a supporting member of the suspension
A shock is a generalized term for dampers.
People say shocks and struts, its like saying band-aid or Qtip. Its a common phrase. You don't have struts on all cars.
Ebay and coilover are 2 words that shouldn't be in the same sentence.
Sleeve coilovers replace the spring with a racing spring and collar set. Buy Ground Controls or don't buy them at all.
Lowering springs replace the Stock spring
a full coilover is a complete replacement.
Read the FAQ.
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HectorM52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
A strut is a shock that also functions as a supporting member of the suspension
A shock is a generalized term for dampers.
People say shocks and struts, its like saying band-aid or Qtip. Its a common phrase. You don't have struts on all cars.
Ebay and coilover are 2 words that shouldn't be in the same sentence.
Sleeve coilovers replace the spring with a racing spring and collar set. Buy Ground Controls or don't buy them at all.
Lowering springs replace the Stock spring
a full coilover is a complete replacement.
Read the FAQ.
I did read the FAQ as well as the Suspension Tuning 101.

Not only did they not explain the individual parts, they included no pics, which would have been helpful. I learn by seeing and doing. Since I've done neither, I'm still at a loss.

You didn't really answer my question - is the strut assembly 2 pieces? 1) the damper and 2) the mount assembly???

Can the sleeved assemblies be used with stock crap?

Are you saying to never buy the sleeved assemblies?

If so, what do you think about lowering springs?
Old 08-18-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I did read the FAQ as well as the Suspension Tuning 101.

Not only did they not explain the individual parts, they included no pics, which would have been helpful. I learn by seeing and doing. Since I've done neither, I'm still at a loss.

I did answer your question, you didn't understand my answer

You didn't really answer my question - is the strut assembly 2 pieces? 1) the damper and 2) the mount assembly???

Strut is one piece. Its a damper that also serves as a suspension structural member. It IS the upright.

Can the sleeved assemblies be used with stock crap?

Yes, but you would be stupid to do so.

Are you saying to never buy the sleeved assemblies?

I didn't say never, I said buy GCs or don't buy them.

If so, what do you think about lowering springs?
Not on stock dampers

If you want pictures, look under the car. The front is a strut, the back is a shock. You can also look under an EVO or WRX or a Porsche 911 if you have one of those lying around.
Alternatively, look under an older civic or integra, they're shocks all around.
Or you can look in the suspension DIY install thread and see all the pictures you want.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 08-18-2005 at 05:58 AM.