Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Need info/advice RE: Struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
Need info/advice RE: Struts

Yeah, yeah, there are plenty of posts on it but I'll give points + rep for those who understand my post, answer me politely with "meat & potatoes information" and leave all the 'search' bs out of their posts. Look at my point balance, I can afford to be generous to those who are kind.

At 109,000 kms, my front struts are hereby leaking -- again. This time however I'm not under warranty. The car is an '02 sedan... My area has very brutal rough roads (actually its interesting only 6 months after moving back here is when my struts start giving me grief)

I'm not willing to pay $700 CAD to have Honda struts installed again, given they just don't last. Perusing posts around this board prove that, as do my own experiences. A car this light shouldn't be blowing struts -- they're sh*t. We all know it.

I DO NOT want to lower, under any circumstances. I light my ride height. My questions are as follows:

1. What the hell is a strut anyways? -- I'm a travel agent not a mechanic.
2. Are there any parts that should be replaced with the struts, if I were to invest in aftermarket?
3. Is there a particular brand that I should be looking into that is known to have better reliability and proven success?
4. What can I expect to pay (please provide what currency you're speaking in) for aftermarket strut installation?

Thanks to those who answer deserving of my promised points & rep.

~B
Old 04-30-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
1) The front strut is a Macpherson strut meaning there is a mount with a shock built into it.

Macpherson strut: Definition: A special kind of oversized shock absorber that's used as part of the vehicle's suspension. When used on the front suspension, it replaces the upper control arm and ball joint. Some struts have coil springs around them while others do not. Some struts have replaceable internal components that can be repaired by dropping in a new cartridge.

Go to google and type "define:Macpherson strut"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...cpherson+strut

2) You shouldn't need anything else unless you want to get new upper mounts. They might be worn down a bit and don't cost very much. www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

3) If you don't want to lower and are looking for daily driving quality, then stick with Tokico blues. They will swap right in with your stock springs and stock upper mounts.

4) They cost about $400US and if you don't DIY, then expect to pay whatever shops charge for install. You can get them from peteriap, dezod, namotorsports, robbearracing, ebay, etc.

Truehonda is having a sale!!
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=207784

Last edited by robbclark1; 04-30-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2005
Registered!!

1955 is an unknown quantity at this point
KGB struts is what i have now and its much better than stock ones,handling is great,$85 ea in US currency from importrp dot com, stock height and ride too.
Old 04-30-2005

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 1955
KGB struts is what i have now and its much better than stock ones,handling is great,$85 ea in US currency from importrp dot com, stock height and ride too.
The KGB still exists?? haha Just kidding. They are KYB GR-2's.

Brill there is a big strut/shock/damper thread at the top of this forum. Check it out.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
Thanks robbclark1, your post was of great assistance. 5000 Points to you. I can't provide you with Rep as you have it disabled.

500 to you 1955.
Old 05-01-2005

Brill, when you order shocks, make sure you get the ones from the right year. If you have an 01-02 then there shouldn't be any problems. 03+ has 16mm mount bolts and might have to be drilled out or order specificially for your application.

Here are som pretty cheap tokicos.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

My friend has them and has had no problems. Gr-2's are comprable, but I dont' know as many people that have them.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

I'm going to try some local auto supply stores here in town the next weekday i get off. Support the local economy

Love living in a small town.

and I have an '02 so shouldn't have a problem fitting. I notice they usually specify the years they are for.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
big + on the tokicos.. life time warrenty. Think about blowing those
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by AlienX
big + on the tokicos.. life time warrenty. Think about blowing those
yes i read that on their site. sounds like they stand behind their product.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
i have them on a 2 inch drop and they havn't failed yet, keyword. On a stock drive, you should see a huge improvement.