Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

coilovers thunk over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ExVtec01 is an unknown quantity at this point
coilovers thunk over bumps

ok, ive been at this problem for a full 2 days, and searched it, but cant find anything, so please help me! Well, i had some money so i went to the store and bought some coilovers, and we got the front done and all was good, so we went to the back, got them put on but as soon as i drove down the street (maybe 10 mph) it seemed like the suspension was absorbing NOTHING at all. So we realized we forgot to put the yellow spongey thing back on with the washer, so we did that and it was a lot better, but then we went down the street and if we hit a bump in the road it still hits, like the mounting stud (top of the strut) compresses the spring ALL the way down and hits the lower piston assembly (lowere part of the strut) and i cannot figure out what it is, weve reaised the ride height of it almost all the way so that its the stock height, but were still clueless to what it is. If ANYONE knows what this could be, plz plz plz tell me, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-03-2005
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
are these like no-name coilovers? or are you talking about full coilovers (Tein, B&G, JIC MAGIC, etc)??

even eibach ground control coilovers will thud when you go over bumps. There is no preload on those things, so when ur car hits a bump, there is a chance the spring portion will dislodge from the perches, and when ur car comes down, it resettles in and makes that thud. this is why you should get full coilovers.
Old 04-03-2005
Registered!!

ExVtec01 is an unknown quantity at this point
they are no name, but the front ones work excellent and the back ones are trouble, when ever i press down the on the trunk i hear the sound like somethings hitting something and when ever i drive, i hear a clunk and it really sucks. my friend has no name brand either and his work well.
Old 04-03-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
even eibach ground control coilovers will thud when you go over bumps. There is no preload on those things, so when ur car hits a bump, there is a chance the spring portion will dislodge from the perches, and when ur car comes down, it resettles in and makes that thud. this is why you should get full coilovers.
Maybe if you mess something up they don't work. You shouldn't have to worry about the fronts unloading, the rears are the issue if the springs are too short. I had GC send me rear springs 1" longer than the standard kit so they didn't come dislodged if the car ever lifted an inner rear tire.... and they stay loaded. But I kinda looked at this, it would take quite a bit of suspension extension to pull the spring out.
If you're thudding over bumps. You're probably slamming the bumpstops. Your car is either too low, you didn't trim the rear bumpstops like you were supposed to, or the coilovers are doodoo and they coils are knocking.
Old 04-04-2005
Registered!!

snowboreddave is an unknown quantity at this point
also. check to see that all your washers are in and your not missing something.. happened to me, i was missing a washer.. total cost... 5 cents