Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

JDM Race Suspension anyone? NOT 56k FRIENDLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
JDM Race Suspension anyone? NOT 56k FRIENDLY!!!

Yes...that's right....the "Fat kid" is now runnin' JDM SUSPENSION!!!

This is my favorite part..... 8)

Rears Installed....

Fronts Installed....

Initial Front Ground clearance.....( Looks cool....but a bit TOO low for my tastes, no rubbing, no problems, just too low for a daily driver)

Initial Side Ground clearance....( not too bad, just needs to be even)

Now some front tuckin' pics... (won't be that way for long though)

Now some REAR drop pics..... (just right, IMO)

And now for the overall look pics....

You can see in this one where the ride height is a bit uneven....I'll be fixing that soon.

Stats:
-Height adjustablity
-10k/16k Spring rates (f/r) = 559 in/lb Front/894 in/lb Rear
-15 way adjustable dampening and rebound
-Pillowball upper mount and camber plate

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS.....

Ride Comfort:
Superb. Absolutely PHENOMINAL. I'm serious...these things ride like either a REAL race car (STIFF AS HELL) or like a minor upgrade in dampening (not too much stiffer from stock). Both Greg and I were VERY impressed that we really couldn't feel the STIFF *** springs until I put the dampers on full stiff. So far, so good.... :wink:

Quality:
Again...SUPERB. I found NO flaws in the workmanship, nor any on the materials themselves. They have a VERY nice coating, that appears to be of better quality than even stock. The upper pillow ball mounts are solid, and the camber plates are VERY smooth to adjust.

Install:
Here's where I ran into problems...first...the instructions are in Japanese....duh, JDM. Second, there's THREE pictures to go from..none are very helpfull. Third, the rears were kinda difficult to figure out, apparently you have to separate the upper mounts, and re-assemble while on the car (weird, since I've never had to do this before)...they didn't just slide up through the hole in the body. Fourth, DO NOT LET YOUR AXLES FALL OUT!!! Lemme repeat....DO NOT LET YOUR AXLES FALL OUT!!! (I spent 2 hours trying to get the front axles back into place, then finally Greg got them back in). Other than that, it was pretty straight forward. If I hadn't screwed up the axles, and if I knew how the rears worked prior to install, I'd say 3 hours max for a full install.

Overall:
I'm VERY pleased with my purchase...hell...I'd BETTER be for that much money! lol I DO have a few issues with them, though I'm sure it's just minor mistakes on my part causing them, but they clunk, they understeer VERY badly (prolly due to the HUGE amount of front NEG. camber I currently have....WAY too small of a contact patch for slow cornering...but VERY nice for hi-speeds. The clunking COULD be due to the fact that I used hand tools, so they're prolly not as tight as they should be, and the fact that I never made sure all the rings were tight (oops....dangerous) and the fact that I couldn't get the passenger side steering arm nut back on....(again...oops, dangerous). But all in all.....THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!! 8)

Last edited by FattyMcJ; 09-09-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
They look real nice. Congrats on the suspension
Old 09-09-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
SLAM IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
looks good by the way!!
Old 09-09-2004

Originally Posted by Mr.Modify
looks good by the way!!
Tempting...but not very practical for a Daily Driver, nor is it good for AutoXing....where SOME body roll is a GOOD thing.

But THANKS!!!
Old 09-09-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Cool, Now you get to spend the rest of the year tuning the damn things...

BTW, The amount of negitive camber you should be running will be determined by how much body roll your getting....
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Mr.Modify
looks good by the way!!

don't slam. you'll get no travel when racing
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

wanna trade ur BUDDY CLUBS for my JICs?

lol
Old 09-09-2004

Originally Posted by usafstud
wanna trade ur BUDDY CLUBS for my JICs?

lol

With the toe problems....construction methods (meaning increased bump steer).....and spring rates of the JIC's (or lack thereof).......speaking for the EP3......

NOT A CHANCE!!!

Last edited by FattyMcJ; 09-09-2004 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2004

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Cool, Now you get to spend the rest of the year tuning the damn things...

BTW, The amount of negitive camber you should be running will be determined by how much body roll your getting....

Yeah......I'm not too happy about having to tune them, especially when I JUST learned the STOCK suspension, and this is a HUGE jump. ( ....another bad idea, but I HAD to have them)

BTW...about the camber.....with 10/16k spring rates (VERY minimal body roll) what camber do you think I should be running? From what I've seen (3 other EP's TOTAL with BC's on) the least amount of neg. camber they have is -2* .....I'm thinkin' that'll be good enough for the fast corners, but maybe a bit too much for the slow 90's.....dunno.
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by FattyMcJ
With the toe problems....construction methods.....and spring rates of the JIC's....

NOT A CHANCE!!!
at least i got my at cost
Old 09-09-2004

Originally Posted by usafstud
at least i got my at cost

Who's to say I didn't get a SMOKIN' deal?

lol

But yeah....yours WERE cheaper.
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

dejuw is an unknown quantity at this point
is the suspension for civic EP3 the same as in coupe and sedan civics??
thanks

Last edited by dejuw; 09-09-2004 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Looks real nice. I wish I could afford something like that.
Old 09-09-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah......I'm not too happy about having to tune them, especially when I JUST learned the STOCK suspension, and this is a HUGE jump. ( ....another bad idea, but I HAD to have them)

BTW...about the camber.....with 10/16k spring rates (VERY minimal body roll) what camber do you think I should be running? From what I've seen (3 other EP's TOTAL with BC's on) the least amount of neg. camber they have is -2* .....I'm thinkin' that'll be good enough for the fast corners, but maybe a bit too much for the slow 90's.....dunno.

-2 would be a start, at least on the noes. if you are still understeering on the slower corners, it may be time for a larger rear anti-roll bar... Make sure its adjustible. and Remember your alignments! Toe settings on the back will greatly influence your understeer/oversteer charateristics, toe on the front will influence turn entry. (a Tire pyromiter would be able to tell you exactly how much camber to run)

are these dampers Single or double adjustible? if they are single adjustible, lncrease the Rebound valving on the side of the car you want to have stick LESS. so Start with soft up front stiff in the rear, and tune from there. and you will probably have different settings for each track. if they are double adjustible, congratulations you've just doubled the amount of time it will take to tune them....

Other wise Remember to get the car Corner weighted!!!

Oh ya, Your not going to want that 25.4mm front bar I have for sale... it would be a better Idea to pick up an RSX's 22mm front bar. (Smaller if you could find/fit it... Maybe one of the NON-EX 15.9mm???)

Last edited by Zzyzx; 09-09-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light
Hoollllly sh!TTTT~ bro... i leave co, u leave the em2 then go to ep3 then THIS!!!!!! Wowerz... of course all u dayam CO people wait till i leave to get the good stuff... dayam... u with the EP3 and then steve with his up and coming mod (gotta keep that on the DL) dayam u all..... lol.... Well bro the car looks great!!!! dope suspension!!! good luck with it and everything down there... latlerz.
Old 09-09-2004
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Seeeexyyyyy...... Damn, I want a set.
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
very nice i wonder how these would ride on my ES hmmmmm.

i was thinking of getting the mugen set up for the ep3 but now i think i will look in to these.

once again nice buy
Old 09-09-2004

Originally Posted by dejuw
is the suspension for civic EP3 the same as in coupe and sedan civics??
thanks

Kinda...but no. Same concept and style..but a few minor differences. I think only the fronts (or rears) from the Coupe will fit the EP3..and visa versa.

Zzyzx would know more about that than I would...
Old 09-09-2004

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
-2 would be a start, at least on the noes. if you are still understeering on the slower corners, it may be time for a larger rear anti-roll bar... Make sure its adjustible. and Remember your alignments! Toe settings on the back will greatly influence your understeer/oversteer charateristics, toe on the front will influence turn entry. (a Tire pyromiter would be able to tell you exactly how much camber to run)

are these dampers Single or double adjustible? if they are single adjustible, lncrease the Rebound valving on the side of the car you want to have stick LESS. so Start with soft up front stiff in the rear, and tune from there. and you will probably have different settings for each track. if they are double adjustible, congratulations you've just doubled the amount of time it will take to tune them....

Other wise Remember to get the car Corner weighted!!!

Oh ya, Your not going to want that 25.4mm front bar I have for sale... it would be a better Idea to pick up an RSX's 22mm front bar. (Smaller if you could find/fit it... Maybe one of the NON-EX 15.9mm???)
Yeah..I was thinking that the DC5 front sway would be helpfull. But the bigger rear bar....really won't have any effect on the car with the 16k spring rates back there. I have the stock 17mm...and the *** end ALREADY comes out when I want it to. (Stock rock tires) But just for good measure, I'll be putting on the Progress Rear Sway/tie bar(s)....not like they'll do any good, but it's just bling at this point. Hell...I could prolly take the damn thing off, and still be fine. lol

About the camber...I'll be getting it aligned next week sometime, after the camber kit goes on, (front AND rear), and after I've got every thing (height wise) the way I want it. But I haven't really had time to adjust that....

OH...and BTW...tightened the rings on the struts, and finally got the nut onto the passenger tie rod end....BINGO....SILENT, SMOOTH, and PERFECT.

I'm in heaven......as to quote Mike from ephatch.com - "My 141 whp Civic rides like a Ferarri !!!"

er sumthin'
Old 09-09-2004

Originally Posted by dj02
very nice i wonder how these would ride on my ES hmmmmm.

i was thinking of getting the mugen set up for the ep3 but now i think i will look in to these.

once again nice buy

Mugen = VERY nice (a guy in my car club has them) but 1) They're not adjustable (pretty much just a stiffer version of the stock coilovers), 2) They're not very stiff, IMO, and 3) Mugen = $$$$ (too much $ for what they really are, IMO)

These.....PHENOMINAL!!! I'm SOO impressed, words can't define.

For all you Hayame guys...if you can afford these....you'll see what a REAL coilover feels like...OMFG.
Old 09-09-2004

Bumpdate for new pics...look on Page1...
Old 09-09-2004
Registered!!

dejuw is an unknown quantity at this point
Kinda...but no. Same concept and style..but a few minor differences. I think only the fronts (or rears) from the Coupe will fit the EP3..and visa versa.

Zzyzx would know more about that than I would...
so i guess the buddyclub coilover won't fit sedan..? or will it fit with some mods?
your buddyclub looks awesome and of high quality coilover
Old 09-09-2004

Originally Posted by dejuw
so i guess the buddyclub coilover won't fit sedan..? or will it fit with some mods?
your buddyclub looks awesome and of high quality coilover

Hmm...

I honestly don't know if they would fit the sedan. My suggestion is to call Buddy Club or Shutoko-R (ask for Mike, tell him that FattyMcJ from ephatch.com sent you). He knows more about the BC's than I do. But after looking at the available set-ups...I don't think they will fit.

Click for a link to BC's on Shutoko-R's website

Click for information on contacting Shutoko-R

Hope that helps some...
Old 09-10-2004
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
the buddy clubs will fit the the em2 and es

just like the mugen, jic's. takes a lil elbow grease but they fit.
Old 09-10-2004

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
They look awesome man. Congrats.
Old 09-10-2004
Registered!!

RobearRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Where did you pick these up from?
Old 09-10-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
car and supsension looks great
Old 09-11-2004

Originally Posted by RobearRacing
Where did you pick these up from?

ROFLMAO

Um...can't tell ya...

ROFLMAO

Dude...you KNOW you hooked me up on these...and yes, Rob @ Robearracing is the MAN!!! (Now I just need my camber kit and sway bar, and I'll be set. lol)

Rob > ALL

(BTW...I also purchased my old EM2's Koni's and front strut bar from Rob....which is why I came back...great service ! ) <- There ya go...free plug.
Old 09-11-2004
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Its a good height. My ride is way to low down 3.25 inches. Also, make sure you get an alignment.
Old 09-12-2004
Registered!!

gangrel138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Jason. You make me so jealous. I am stuck waiting to get my big reenlistment bonus from the Army before I can do the coilovers. And that means I'll be paying out the nose on shipping to Germany. But on the up side I'll get to send good pics of my car at Nurburgring.

And $2k is a little outside my self imposed suspension budget. I'm looking more along the lines of $1-1.5k. Any suggestions?

Last edited by gangrel138; 09-12-2004 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: JDM Race Suspension anyone? NOT 56k FRIENDLY!!!