Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

tie rod boots

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03CivicEX03 should not be trusted03CivicEX03 should not be trusted
tie rod boots

Today me and my friend trying to install tien on the car, but some how we can't get the front tie rod that connected to shock off. It just got stuck there we try everything still can't get it off. There some grease around or coming out the tie rod boots.. It is normal or we bust up the boots?
Old 08-16-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
post pics of the tie rod boot. Sounds like your tore the boot
Old 08-16-2004
Registered!!

03CivicEX03 should not be trusted03CivicEX03 should not be trusted
If i did tore up the boot, it is safe or ok to drive? Would it affect anything?
Old 08-16-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 03CivicEX03
If i did tore up the boot, it is safe or ok to drive? Would it affect anything?
that I dont know. Wait untill the day people come on, some of the suspension experts are better knowledged to answer that. But I wouldnt think so. If you did tear it up, you can easily replace it without having to replace the tie rod itself.

Last edited by streetglower; 08-16-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
I took a peek out of my own curiosity:

Clicky
Old 08-16-2004
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
yeah if you see grease, you probably tore the boot. You should have used a tie rod puller(that has a screw), that will prevent you from ripping the boot. If you look at mex's spring diy thread, you'll see him take if off by banging on it. i mean it works but you run the risk of messing up the threads.

anyways, rip boots... people say you should replace torn boots and stuff but i have been driving around with ripped boots (:x dont tell anyone) for awhile and havnt had any problems yet. yeah the boots purpose is to keep the bearing greased and free of dirt so if dirt gets in, it can mess up the bearings. most people so far have just replaced the whole tie rod but you can always just try to replace the boot itself. I heard its not easy to get off/on though and have only heard very² few success stories.
Old 08-16-2004
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
i ripped my boot like 6 months ago.. whats a long term problem? only thing i can think is....... maybe some added friction.. does that make a diff.

riley
Old 08-16-2004
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
you only need to replace the tie rod with a torn boot if your **** about keeping everything in good working order. NORMALLY it will be months or even years sometimes before a torn tie rod boot causes the tie rod to wear out
Old 08-16-2004
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
mines still got the grease on it... lol along w/ a bunch of crud.... so that keeps it lubed.lol./... next time i take apart i'll litium grease the ****
Old 08-16-2004
Registered!!

Kodi is an unknown quantity at this point
You should replace any worn boots while its still cheap. Its easy to do just use a small flathead screw driver and pry the boot off where it meets the tie rod. Then repack it with grease and put a new boot back on. Honda sells a little tool to seat the new boot but i just use a large socket (1 1/4" I think) and a hammer.
If your using a fork type tie rod puller make sure you put some grease on it to keep from ripping the boot
Old 08-16-2004
Registered!!

thetzer is an unknown quantity at this point
I ripped a boot while doing my tein's as well. The boot cost $2.29 from honda.
Old 08-18-2004
ctv
Registered!!

ctv is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually to get the Tie Rod off you loosen the nut to the end of the bolt and wack it with a hammer (hitting the nut not the threads) it pops right out
Old 08-18-2004
Registered!!

VinhTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Why don't you guys just rent that tool from auto parts store? It cost like 40 and u can return it and get ur money back. It is called a 3 claw gear puller or a 3 claw tie rod puller. It has a screw in the tool that puts stress on the screw from the tie rod. It just poped out for me when i put tokiocs on!!!!!!!!!! no damage and no set backs !!! and i got all my money back from renting the tool