Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

loose steering, suspension related?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sffree is an unknown quantity at this point
loose steering, suspension related?

on an 02 coupe, eibach pro kit, spc camber kit, koni yellows, front upper and lower X, and rear lower tie bars and 16in wheels/tires... could this setup actually loosen up the steering more than how it was from the oem config? Originally I had done all this work in hopes of getting 'tighter' handling.. but maybe I misunderstood 'tighter'... I do notice that I can take turns more aggresively... but when I cruise, my pinky can just about jack knife my car... the lightest touch and the wheel seems to have a lot of play... Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the desired result?? Would removing the tie bars add more 'firmness' and 'stability' to the steering wheel (i.e. making it feel a bit heavier)... I don't want to disconnect the power steering b/c I like its benefits..
Old 07-24-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
What do you have your konis set at, and whats your alignment set to
Old 07-24-2004
Registered!!

konis set to 1/2 turn from full soft all around and the toe's at 0... cambers out a little neg.. for increased traction at min. tire wear (sorry don't know the exact camber specs)...I had my strut assembly thoroughly checked too.. if that means anything... upper strut mounts ok etc...
Old 07-24-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I've said this before.. The more Twards the Bleeding edge of handling you tune a car the less stable the car will be...

But any way, to git rid of a bit of that wandering/twitchy ness. Dial in a bit of toe in on the front. say 1/32nd or 1/16th of an inch total. You may also want to dial in some Rear toe in too.... (That will help stop the rear from coming around on you). also, Run the Konis softer, say Full soft on the front and 1/4 turn on the rear.
Old 07-24-2004
Registered!!

I'm not clear on the toe thing.. I think it was robbclark who first recommended that but ..i'm not clear on how it affects my problem....I was thinking of the full soft (i've actually been getting progressively softer --started at full turn ).. I notice less tracking.. but it still hops a lot...oh and if this helps the diagnosis whatsover.. I have all original bushings (no polyurethane due to fear of noises)... Is the whole 'get rid of the tie bar' theory out of the question? would that add looseness because it decreases flexing at the joints?
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

j-jolly is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem with my hayame kit i put on last night and i cant ajust them i dont think. but i had to flip the tie rod to get the struts to go on could that be the problem
Old 08-07-2004
A.K.A BlackCar --- Not From Califorina!

KalliGarri is on a distinguished road
yeah i have hayame too ^^^ same problem... I DUNT LIKE THE STEARING! its like an expedition now.. soo loose... how do u fix it? i ALSO has to flip the tie rods
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

j-jolly is an unknown quantity at this point
have yoe gotten it alligend cause i was told that should fix it but i dont know