Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

schocks or struts? or both?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura aboutrokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura about
schocks or struts? or both?

Please dont flame me! but do we have shocks and struts or are they both the same? Can someone please tell a dummy what exactly a strut and shock is?
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
in front we have macpherson (sp?) struts.. i think we have regular ol shocks in the back but somebody correct me if this is incorrect.
Old 04-22-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
MACPHERSON STRUT

Definition: A special kind of oversized shock absorber that's used as part of the vehicle's suspension. When used on the front suspension, it replaces the upper control arm and ball joint. Some struts have coil springs around them while others do not. Some struts have replaceable internal components that can be repaired by dropping in a new cartridge.

we have a strut. The shock is built into the strut. That is why we don't have any available shocks besides the koni inserts. The inserts mean that you hvae to cut the shock portion out of the front strut and stick in the insert.
Old 04-23-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
^^

Old 04-23-2004
Registered!!

Silver_JS5 is an unknown quantity at this point
so does that mean that our front struts are good enough to just through on coils or what?
Old 04-23-2004

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
You can put coils on them, but the shock itself won't last very long depending on how low you go.
Old 04-26-2004

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
yep....mine blew.....no oil or gas left in the shock.
Old 04-27-2004
Registered!!

hyperactive is an unknown quantity at this point
so if my struts are leaking and I get Koni yellows it will sorta be the same as if I would get brand new struts from the dealer? im new at this but even tho I would get the Konis wouldnt I still need to get the dealer struts? could some1 explain this to me?
Old 04-27-2004

No. The strut doesn't blow, the shock does. The konis (at least for the front) are inserts meaning you have to cut the shock out of the strut to insert the new one. Konis are better than OEM because they are stronger and adjustable and can be lowered on. If you want a better OEM style shock, then get the KYB GR-2's, but they are not adjustable and aren't meant to be lowered on.

Old 04-27-2004
Registered!!

hyperactive is an unknown quantity at this point
thanx a bunch robbclark1- pictures are always nice ive got one more question;
if i was to get koni yellows would i still be able to put on a set of those $300 adjustable coilover springs ?(not enough $ for real coilovers) i have skunk2 lowering springs on right now but the front didnt really drop, if i was to get that kind of a setup would i be able to have it drop a bit lower? thanks for all of your input.
Old 04-27-2004

yes. The grouping of choice is Konis and Ground Controls. I don't think you need anything extra to get them to fit, but try PMing some people who have that set up. You will be able to raise and lower your car. Put everything on, let it settle for a week or so, then get it aligned.

Konis - $550
GCs - $300
SPC camber kit - $130 from danscreations
Install - ??
Old 04-27-2004

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
I'll sell u my front SPC kit...didn't need to use it on my car...brand new in box!