Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Koni yellow boot cut

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
integ108 is on a distinguished road
Koni yellow boot cut

i just installed the konis on my civic yesterday but i f'ed up by warping the tie rod bolt but not as is lost i bought a new one today so tomorow i will install it and complete my setup, my car has just been sitting there not operating because the nut will not go back in the tie rod bolt.
kinnda sucks cuz all day i been itchin to drive it

any ways to the koni users, has anyone cut the lip of the rubber boot because i didnt cut it yesterday heres what im talking about

picture 18
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ht_suspension/
Old 01-30-2004
Registered!!

also my konis were skinnier that the oem strut and it went in easily with room to spare , were anyone elses like that

i didnt have to do picture 14 and 15

Old 01-30-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Hrmm.. well I know that they make two different size inserts for the fronts, one is 50mm and the other is 55mm. Sounds like you may have the 50mm, but should of ordered the 55mm. Not sure about the boot.
Old 01-30-2004
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
if it moves freely, it isnt safe. I wouldnt drive my car like that
Old 01-30-2004
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
I think I know what may have happened to your fronts.. you cut too much of the strut housing off and the nubs that are suppose to be inside the housing arent. Thats why its lose fitting..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong thx.
Old 02-02-2004
Registered!!

yeah thats what i think happened too but i read to cut 40 mm from the top, now that i look at it theres actually no point in cutting at all, removal of the gold clasps will do just fine, but anyways what i did was use the rubber dust cover that came with the kit and i shoved it between the shock and the insert so it doesnt move freely now, now as for the back i have some EXTRA PARTS but anyways the install went fine and it ride like a beauty, anyone know how long the break in period is for koni's and what setting should i put it at?
Old 02-02-2004
Registered!!

Glad to hear the ride is smooth. I just ordered mine and will be installing them myself also. I believe you have to cut the top off or you cant get the insert in. Are you talking about not cutting off the full 40mm?

About break-in, I read that some peeps said to ride on the softest setting for a week then tune afterwards.
Old 02-03-2004
Registered!!

yeah i measured 40 mm from the top but it was not necessary and even possible, because i was using a pipe cutter and it wouold not clear i think i only cut 20 mm but it worked so thats all that matters.. as for your koni install, good luck and be ready to spend many hours of work and frustration.. if i were u id get true coilovers like hayame or tanabe if you got money go for teins... but if u already have the konis and dont wanna wait or send them back just go for the install
Old 02-03-2004
Registered!!

Nah, I want Koni's. I dont mind doing the install, it looks fairly simple. I also like having the option to swap springs if I want. Plus the life time warranty is a no- brainer. Koni will send you a replacement first, then you ship back the defective unit afterwards.
Old 02-03-2004
Registered!!

you make a good point....i never thought what would happen and how frustrating it would be to blow a shock on a true coilover set.... does anyone know how or where to go to get a replacement?

flotsamm - if u have any questions about the koni install give me a hollar i go on this website everyday! i know how it feels to be stuck on a step and not knowing what to do..by the way this is my screen name so u can send an IM for help
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

Diablo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by integ108
also my konis were skinnier that the oem strut and it went in easily with room to spare , were anyone elses like that

i didnt have to do picture 14 and 15

i just installed mine today and i have the same problem the stut went in easy with room to spare. by adjusting the bottom bolt it held in place I just hope its good enough.
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

When I did mine a couple of weeks ago, the strut drops in fine but should be difficult to get the top part of the insert in where the bumps are at. I had to file them down a small amount the force them in. So basically the top is kept in place by the bumps on the insert and the bottom is secured by the bolt. Regarding cutting the dust cover, I didnt have to since my cover slides over the white plastic washer fine.
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

i got them istalled and they sound like **** clunk clunk. any one heve any ideas on what to use to fill in the gap?
Old 02-21-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by integ108
yeah thats what i think happened too but i read to cut 40 mm from the top, now that i look at it theres actually no point in cutting at all, removal of the gold clasps will do just fine, but anyways what i did was use the rubber dust cover that came with the kit and i shoved it between the shock and the insert so it doesnt move freely now, now as for the back i have some EXTRA PARTS but anyways the install went fine and it ride like a beauty, anyone know how long the break in period is for koni's and what setting should i put it at?
I ended up doing the same with the rubber dust cover and it seems to work thanks for the idea.