Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

What causes tire squealing in turns?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
What causes tire squealing in turns?

I took a turn today at around 25-30 mph and the whole time my tires were like "screeeeeech." I have stock Firestones, Neuspeed front upper strut bar, RSX rear lower sway bar, and eBay generic rear upper strut bar.

Is this squealing bad what does it mean? What causes it?

Thanks.

IronFist
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
That means your tires suck. Stock firestones arent good and when there screeching that means your losing grip on your tires
Old 07-24-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
ummm.... this might be a long one.....................

Tires squeal for a number of reasons, and each type/brand/model tire will squeal for different reasons and at different times. the more comon reason tires squeal is when they are reaching theire limits of traction. Some tires squeal Right when the are about to "Saturate" where others squeal long before they even get close to Saturating (Saturating is the point where the tire can no longer make enough traction to hold the weight that is applied to them, so they begin to slid). Some tires are silent untill they are totaly saturated.

The more important thing is to understand that tires make 2 sounds, described as a Squeal, and a Squal. Squealing is ok, it means your getting close to "saturation" Squalling (Sounds like a squeal but changes pitches (High/low) rather then a constant pitch (Squeal)). When a tire is Squaling, its past its "saturation" point, and is nolonger making useable traction. (Its basically turning rubber in to noise at that point.)

Learn the difference between the two!! especially if you Autocross or drive track days, it will tell you when you are over driving the car.
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

Weaponx12o is on a distinguished road
check the inside of your tires, they might be getting bald. that happened to my stock ones and i had to get them replaced.
Old 07-24-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The stock shitstones just make noise. They don't like to hold on very hard and let you know about it right away. The sidewall gives, and as it does, the tread does too. Taking a corner at 25 on stock tires wouldn't surprise me that they got noisy on you. Other tires won't do that... even other crappy stock tires. My mom's Jetta has Michelins on it, I don't care for them too much, but they do keep quiet until right before they cut loose. I always thought thats the way it should be. My Yokohamas are the same way. They'll let you know when they're ready to go... but you've still got a little bit more to go before they give.
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

ballajack11 is an unknown quantity at this point
sorrie this might not be related, I have a question about tires, well is it possible to keep the same rim size for our civic and yet find wider tires...what are the requirements for widening our tires...looks more bad ***..haha...and plus there seem like alot of room left at the fenders. thanx.
Old 07-24-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Zzyzx
ummm.... this might be a long one.....................

Tires squeal for a number of reasons, and each type/brand/model tire will squeal for different reasons and at different times. the more comon reason tires squeal is when they are reaching theire limits of traction. Some tires squeal Right when the are about to "Saturate" where others squeal long before they even get close to Saturating (Saturating is the point where the tire can no longer make enough traction to hold the weight that is applied to them, so they begin to slid). Some tires are silent untill they are totaly saturated.

The more important thing is to understand that tires make 2 sounds, described as a Squeal, and a Squal. Squealing is ok, it means your getting close to "saturation" Squalling (Sounds like a squeal but changes pitches (High/low) rather then a constant pitch (Squeal)). When a tire is Squaling, its past its "saturation" point, and is nolonger making useable traction. (Its basically turning rubber in to noise at that point.)

Learn the difference between the two!! especially if you Autocross or drive track days, it will tell you when you are over driving the car.
Good stuff. I knew this, but I never really thought about it. I've had my tires squeal and squal. I always let them squeal when taking a corner, but I know what squaling sounds like from purposefully invoking slides around corners. It's low-pitched and sort of like a sliding noise. The squealing noise is high-pitched and loud. Oh yeah! I see everyone using this icon lately, so...

Old 07-24-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
squal and squeel, humm interesting...
Old 07-24-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
get tires with tread wear at about 200 or less you won't ever loss traction
Old 07-24-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
another goot thing to think about here is, no matter how well tuned your suspension may be, if you dont have good tires then you're still going to be sliding everywhere.
Old 07-24-2003
DIY King

Originally posted by Zzyzx
another goot thing to think about here is, no matter how well tuned your suspension may be, if you dont have good tires then you're still going to be sliding everywhere.
Yeah, I know this from personal experience. I have Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's. For my tire size (215/45-17) the tread rating is 280. For some sizes it's 360!!! They chunk instead of wearing evenly since I take them to their limit a lot. Especially the edges. Then again, I'm at 20,000 miles with these tires and they still have a lot of tread left.
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

ballajack11 is an unknown quantity at this point
hello?
Old 07-24-2003
DIY King

Originally posted by ballajack11
sorrie this might not be related, I have a question about tires, well is it possible to keep the same rim size for our civic and yet find wider tires...what are the requirements for widening our tires...looks more bad ***..haha...and plus there seem like alot of room left at the fenders. thanx.
Yeah, um... Maybe just start another thread instead of invading someone else's. Just a guess why nobody is responding to your questions...

Old 07-24-2003
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by Grey
Yeah, I know this from personal experience. I have Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's. For my tire size (215/45-17) the tread rating is 280. For some sizes it's 360!!! They chunk instead of wearing evenly since I take them to their limit a lot. Especially the edges. Then again, I'm at 20,000 miles with these tires and they still have a lot of tread left.

712's are rocks... try the Supra MX. suposidly its as sticky as the Azenis, but with out the overheating problem (Personally I've never overheated mine, but the guys at the nationals have). But if you drive hard on them or autocross, they will probably only last about 10,000 miles... probably less.
Old 07-24-2003
DIY King

Damn, only 10,000 miles? Maybe I could get a set and mount them on some large steelies for autocross? That is if I can find 16" 4x100 steelies. I doubt that I'll find 17" 4x100 steelies. I might do that if I get into autocross. Otherwise I'll continue to drive on my rocks. Best bang for the buck.
Old 07-24-2003
Autocross Junky

If you do get the 205/50WR15's smaller lighter and will give you a little bit of a gearing advantge.
Old 07-24-2003
DIY King

Thanks for the tip? Too bad that they don't have wider sizes than 205 for 15's. You think they'll have enough grip in and of themselves without increasing the contact patch? I'm planning to set up my car to accept a width of 235 with only sacrificing a little turning radius.
Old 07-24-2003
Autocross Junky

There arnt very many tires offered in wide 15's. at least not for street tires.

I konw of 3 tires that are very good for street classed autcrossing (STS,STX)

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD offered in 205/50YR15 for $153 and 225/50YR15 for $163. I understand that these have a softer side wall then both the Falken Azenis sports and the Kumho MX. plus they are atleast $88 more expensive then any other compairable tire.

Kumho Ecsta MX, offered in 205/50WR15 (Finally) for $79. these tires are the new kids on the block so to speek and have limited race time. From what I've heard they are just as sticky as the falkens but with different turn in chariteristics. (the falkens bite well in intial corner in, where the MX's will slide a little initialy and then bite). Another thing over the Falkens is the Heat factor, the MX's dont suffer from over heating as much as the Falkens do and some people have reported them getting stickyer the hotter they got.

Flaken Azenis Sport, offered in 205/50R15, for $65. as the cheepest competitive tire, these are hard to beat for value. at last years Tire rack SCCA national championship, 8 of the top 10 dirvers were on Falkens. so these are proven tires. 1 person ran the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD and 1 was on Bridgestone Potenza S-02's (From the look of the results only 3 people out of 50 ran Bridgestone tires). I have these tires and Im Very impressed at the level of traction they give.

From what I understand the tread on both the Falken and the MX is more like a 215 then a "normal" 205. the tires are very square (large tread patch) and give wonderfull traction.
Remember STS is limited to a max tire width of 225, but a 205 tire has been dominating, so that has to say somthing about the tires traction.
Old 07-24-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, good info guys. Thanks for the replies

IronFist
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Common problem for squealing tires when turning is low air pressure. Try adding a little more air and test. Stay within the recommended cold tire pressure and you should be good to go.
Old 07-25-2003
Premium Member

My air pressure is good.

IronFist
Old 07-25-2003
Autocross Junky

what pressure are you running Front and rear?

30/30 is the factory recomandation, but thats for comfort and tire longevity not for conrering.

a little more pressure in the front will help you corner a bit better, Lots more if your autocrossing( a friend of mine ran 50psi on stock tires on the front, not something you would want to do on the street).
Old 08-11-2003
Registered!!

Marion26 is an unknown quantity at this point
How about putting in the maximum psi(which is like 50)on Nitto 450 17's? will I encounter any problems? in the long run? and when is it the right time to change my tires? note I don't have A camber kit in the back and of course in the front. dropped on Eibach sportlines, been using my tires for a year and a half with I think maybe 11,0000 to 12,000 miles on them
Old 08-11-2003
Autocross Junky

Unless you're autocrossing DO NOT PUT YOU'RE TIRES TO 50PSI! you run all sorts of risks, like if poping the tire off of the Bead on the wheel. and Wearing out the center portion of the tread long before the sides do.

for 17's Run Somewhere between 32 and 36 psi.
Old 08-12-2003
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
What do you drive on around town with your stock tires? I run 36 front and 32 rear, I used to do 38/35 which felt much better, but I noticed the middle was wearing out too fast.
Old 08-12-2003
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
wait, so lower treadwear is better? My Potenza RE910 has a treadwear of 400! So that's really bad? I thought Potenza tires are suppose to be good at least from i read from "their" booklet.

on a side note, I would have gotten Kuhmo, but I though they don't last very long while my Potenza gives a 60,000 miles tread warranty.
Old 08-12-2003
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
No, the higher the treadwear rating the longer the tire is suppose to last. But, I think that the treadwear rating isnt standardized, so a tire company can basically make up their own rating number. Someone correct me if I'm wrong thanks.
Old 08-12-2003
Autocross Junky

treadwear does vary from MFG to MFG. However they are close to eachother.

Tread wear will tell you how long a tire should last (For that MFG) Low tread wears have better grip (Soft compound tires) and High tread wears Last a long time. Tire tread design determins wet traction.

EXample, I have 2 sets of tires,
1. Falken Azenis Sports (205/50R15) Tread wear of 200.
2. Falken 512 205/40R17 Tread wear of 360

The 512's are my street tires the Azenis are my Race tires (I autocross). The 512's should last about 30,000 miles. My Azenis will probably last about 10,000 to 15,000 Maybe less.

the Traction of the Azenis is Down Right AMAZING. When I switch back to my street tires, I have to Remind my self that Im on them, or I get my self in to a little trouble. the difference in traction is that extream (Like Night and Day). To put it in to #'s when I first got my Falkens, I droped about 1 sec off of my times. In autocross, 1 sec from 1 part (with out improving the driver) Is impressive.
Old 08-12-2003
Premium Member

My airpressure is 30 in the front and back.

IronFist