Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Brake shoe info?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stewartfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake shoe info?

What's up! So I've looked around and have found a few threads about this, but nothing that actually answers the question. What size do our cars take as far as rear drum brakes?! There's either 7-7/8 x 1-3/8" or 8-21/32 x 1-3/8" and I've called my local auto parts store and they said I'd have to take them out and measure them. Everywhere I go online, I plug my car in and it gives me more than one size. Any idea what's the right size?

Also, I removed the drum today because I've been having a horrible noise come from my rear drums since I got the car about a year and a half ago (I know, it's about time) but I found that the shoe liner seems to be crumbling. If you run your finger along it, little chunks come off. I have a picture if that'd help, but I don't understand why this'd be happening. My uncle who's a mechanic, told me that they may have gotten too hot and "cooked them." I don't recall having done anything to cause this, and I think it was happening when I got the car, but the noise has just gotten a lot worse since then. Before, if I came to a stop a few times, the sound would go away. Any idea why this would happen, and how to fix it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brake shoe info?

199.9-200.0 mm (7.870-7.874 in.)

Can't say what's going on with lining coming off, I don't see that with OEM hardly ever here.
You got cheapo brakes?

Driving with the handbrake left on will definitely cook them. It happens to certain people more than others.

HTH
Old 05-18-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
199.9-200.0 mm (7.870-7.874 in.)

Can't say what's going on with lining coming off, I don't see that with OEM hardly ever here.
You got cheapo brakes?

Driving with the handbrake left on will definitely cook them. It happens to certain people more than others.

HTH
Ok thanks! Those are the size I ordered. I have no idea what brand were on there when I bought the thing, but I bought it from an older lady so that may explain them being cooked. Truthfully, I'd apply the handbrake for about 5 seconds while at about 25mph to get rid of the sound temporarily (yeah, not the smartest thing, I know. But it worked!). The ones I ordered this time were the Wagner thermoquiet, which I assume will be quality enough for drums, right?
Old 05-18-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

No clue.
Back when I worked in an indy shop, Thermoquiets were used often, with good results.

Now I'm in a dealer.
I DO know that we always seem to get burned with aftermarket brakes on Hondas, usually noise complaints. No matter how many times we have to redo a brake job because someone whined about the price of factory parts, management/advisors never learn from the past.
Guaranteed to do it all over again.
/rant

On Hondas drum brakes, I'm used to seeing shoes last for nearly the life of the car here, quite often well over 200k on the original shoes. Seems like an easy 5 sets of front brakes to one set of rear shoes for the majority of customers I see.
(I also don't bother to try to recommend them until they hit 1/16 - 1/32".)

We don't even keep rear shoes in stock, they have to be special ordered or obtained from one of the other nearby dealers that keep them in stock. ("Nearby" is an hour away for us.)

HTH
Old 05-18-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

stick with oem. if it lasts over 100k miles without issue, its worth the extra cost.
Old 05-19-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

i have a brand new honda OEM shoes for sale if you are interested.
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
stick with oem. if it lasts over 100k miles without issue, its worth the extra cost.
Yeah, makes sense. I only paid $20 shipped for these though, so if I have issues a little down the road, I won't mind switching to the OEM ones if I have to.

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
i have a brand new honda OEM shoes for sale if you are interested.
How much?

No clue.
Back when I worked in an indy shop, Thermoquiets were used often, with good results.

Now I'm in a dealer.
I DO know that we always seem to get burned with aftermarket brakes on Hondas, usually noise complaints. No matter how many times we have to redo a brake job because someone whined about the price of factory parts, management/advisors never learn from the past.
/rant

On Hondas drum brakes, I'm used to seeing shoes last for nearly the life of the car here, quite often well over 200k on the original shoes. Seems like an easy 5 sets of front brakes to one set of rear shoes for the majority of customers I see.

We don't even keep rear shoes in stock, they have to be special ordered or obtained from one of the other nearby dealers that keep them in stock. ("Nearby" is an hour away for us.)

HTH
Yeah, the dealer here said that they could order them and they'd be here by Tues and I'd be paying $92. Definitely not worth it if you ask me. We'll see how the Wagner ones do, and like I said, if they start being overly noisy I'll just find some OEM ones at a good price.
Old 05-19-2012

and I'd be paying $92.
BZZZT. Dealer fail.

Never go in unarmed.
Look up your own real prices.
Dealers are free to set their own prices, but most will bargain if you already know what MSRP is.

Part #6, you would need 4 of them (not offered as a set for whatever reason)
Discount catalog: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...RUM%29+%281%29

Dealer level catalog here: http://estore.honda.com/

HTH

Old 05-19-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

let me go get a pix of it.
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

No clue.

Now I'm in a dealer.
/rant

HTH
Your dealership lets people bring in aftermarket parts?
Old 05-24-2012

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Your dealership lets people bring in aftermarket parts?
Not very often.

There are occasions where we don't have the needed parts on hand, so they may be sourced from local parts stores.
This is when things seem to go downhill.

Same goes for when "aftermarket is cheaper!!!!!!" (on almost anything, it seems).....Yeah, there's a reason for that.
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Sometimes aftermarket doesnt always fit right. That must suck as a tech to have to use low quality aftermarket parts.
Old 05-24-2012

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Sometimes aftermarket doesnt always fit right. That must suck as a tech to have to use low quality aftermarket parts.
Yeah, a big part of the suckage is because I'm not paid hourly, and nobody wants to compensate fairly for crap that doesn't work right the first time.

Parts that ALMOST FIT.
If I were an hourly employee, I could take all freekin day to modify and adapt as necessary to "make it work".
Old 05-24-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

dealer here says the same thing. customers want cheap depo replicas and complain when they are sticking out not sitting flush with the bumper, then blame the dealer for bad install. they paid $18k+ for a new car but cant afford $85 for a tail light. its too much money lmao.
Old 05-25-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
dealer here says the same thing. customers want cheap depo replicas and complain when they are sticking out not sitting flush with the bumper, then blame the dealer for bad install. they paid $18k+ for a new car but cant afford $85 for a tail light. its too much money lmao.
For the record, I only paid $3000 for my Civic. Haha
Old 05-25-2012
Premium Member

yeah i meant the cars in dealer service. they are usually shocked when i bring my 10 yr old car for rare stuff like brakes, cause the average car there is only 1-2 yrs old. they dont see many old ones, prolly cause owners stopped caring.